Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Kia Picanto (1L) and I had 29 miles left in there this morning. I’m doing a short journey in the car tomorrow but needed more petrol, so I put in £5 more this morning. When I put the petrol in and then turned the engine on the meter still read 29 miles left.

Does anyone know why this is?

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
If you are letting it get that low and only putting so little in at a time the guage may well be stuck. But that may be the least of your problems as you will be sucking any muck in botton of tank up.

Reactions: Kianaut

·
Registered
798 Posts
Does anyone know why this is?
The range to go reading is just a Toy Callum - it can be useful under certain circumstances but should never be considered accurate,it operates from historic mpg/fuel flow and can vary wildly depending on weather/temps and type of trips done.
Also as Birdman alluded to - it is best not to regularly keep the fuel tank very low - especially in winter as an empty tank will get more condensation inside than a full one.

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Hi & Welcome.

Did the fuel gauge go up?
You have to remember that £5 is not even a gallon of fuel now. So that is about 3.5 Ltr.

I would not worry. Rather than look at miles left, look at gauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m currently at work so can’t check it yet, but will have a look later.

I usually let it get to around15 miles and then put in around £10-£15 so it hasn’t happened before. I assume it’s just that £5 is not a lot and so it just didn’t register it?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I usually let it get to around15 miles
Brave man :) - I very rarely let a car go below 1/4 before refuelling.
As I posted earlier - the way the 'range' readout works does not make it suitable for a reliable indicator of either 'range to go' or 'fuel level'.
I think it is a problem about digital readouts - because they give an 'exact' figure then people tend to think of them as super accurate.

Reactions: Kianaut

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,956 Posts
Brave man :) - I very rarely let a car go below 1/4 before refuelling.
As I posted earlier - the way the 'range' readout works does not make it suitable for a reliable indicator of either 'range to go' or 'fuel level'.
I think it is a problem about digital readouts - because they give an 'exact' figure then people tend to think of them as super accurate.
Fill it up - it's only 35lts or so and it might free up the guage if that is sticking.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Fill it up - it's only 35lts or so and it might free up the guage if that is sticking.
I always do Dave - did you quote the wrong post ? ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve tried to put another fiver in and it’s still the same. I’m getting rid of the car tomorrow anyways as I’ve bought a new car, so their garage will deal with it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts