Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2015 KX-4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, 2015 KX4 , anyone else find the pedals really close together on the automatics?
My feet arent huge but on two or three occasions now ive found that im covering the brake while accelerating and vice versa.
Not a huge issue just a bit of a pain

·
Registered
2012 Sporatge 2.0 CRDi KX-3
71 Posts
:unsure: well you could, but it might make wee mess of ya carpet.... and the rubber cover wouldn't fit anymore....

💡how about moving the seat as far back as it goes, get some Winkle Picker shoes and just use your tippy toes to drive :giggle:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gesture Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

I've just stumbled on this, Ouch!, but it does show that the pedals use the same mounting, so swapping to something a little more dainty is possible :)

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
View attachment 13855
I've just stumbled on this, Ouch!, but it does show that the pedals use the same mounting, so swapping to something a little more dainty is possible :)
Thats looks like LHD as brake pedal is the bigger of the 2.

I know I found the OP's issue at 1st. Then found that lifting foot and squaring up to each pedal, rather than just swiveling on heal solved the problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thats looks like LHD as brake pedal is the bigger of the 2
I lifted that from Kia parts UK... where did LHD come from :rolleyes:
It has AT in the box for the bigger pedal...

Why they fit a bigger pedal to an auto is anyone's guess, in the old days being able to apply 2 feet was an advantage when brakes were poor and you had no engine braking. But now a days there is no reason, or need, and unless you've size 1 feet of using the 'Winkle picker' approach there is no way you'd get 2 feet on the brake!

It was a listing for the brake light switch, which is common to both, as is all the pedal box. It's the sort of thing that you can buy from a breaker for a few quid as there is no real demand..

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Look at the pic. Bigger pedal (brake) is on the right. (or it is a very badly drawn pic) which is where our accelerator pedal is?

Bigger brake pedal is so your foot does not slip off onto accelerator (y)

You know the thing. Car shot forward while braking 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
433 Posts
Look at the pic. Bigger pedal (brake) is on the right. (or it is a very badly drawn pic) which is where our accelerator pedal is?

Bigger brake pedal is so your foot does not slip off onto accelerator (y)

You know the thing. Car shot forward while braking 🤷‍♂️
No. It's showing that both the manual and the automatic brake pedals have the same mounting. That's why the auto pedal is in a separate box on the drawing

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's a nod to earlier days from across the pond when everything was ....omatic or ...otronic.
I have a 60's Yank Tank and you'd stand a good chance of getting 3 feet on the bake pedal :unsure: , as I said purely to counteract the lack of engine braking in an emergency.
If it was to stop you slipping on to the loud pedal they would have fitted brake pedals like tractor ones, that have a lip to stop you sliding off when braking with muddy wellies!

Anyhow I've just had a brain wave.. for all those who "slip", colour the brake pedal red and the accelerator green :giggle: That should help alleviate confusion!

And besides Big Pete shouldn't be made to suffer just because his parents didn't bind his feet at birth just in case he decided to buy an automatic sportage in adulthood.. they probably hadn't invented Korean motor cars when he was born;) We are trying to find a solution that doesn't involve taking an angle grinder to the brake pedal or his foot!

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2015 KX-4
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And besides Big Pete shouldn't be made to suffer just because his parents didn't bind his feet at birth just in case he decided to buy an automatic sportage in adulthood.. they probably hadn't invented Korean motor cars when he was born;) We are trying to find a solution that doesn't involve taking an angle grinder to the brake pedal or his foot!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Least of my problems just now.........see above!:cry:

·
Registered
71 Posts
So you need electricity.. happens to us all at some stage in our lives..

You think that's scary, you want to try the Range Rover L322 (mk3) version of low battery... from memory it starts with HDC and ABS, then says the transfer box is fubar'd and then tells you that your suspension has collapsed... Retail you'd be lucky to see change from £8k... and then it turns out that the battery has dropped below 11.5 volts and actually there is nothing that a good charge wont fix!

Rather annoyingly it would seam that motor manufacturers do not program low voltage scenarios in to the on board computer, and they don't fit voltage meters either, so when the ECU sees low voltage it rather panics because it literally does not compute :unsure:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts