Kia Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only bought it in the middle of July as a pre reg but the noise from the engine and the unnecessary revving when coming down the gearbox isn't really what I'm looking for.
Luckily up to now, I've found a couple of cars where I don't lose on what I paid for it. I pay cash so it's simpler than being tied into an agreement.
It looks great inside and out, love the shape and I especially like the black glossy exterior trim and the only thing missing for me was ambient lighting and thought it would be a keeper but I just don't get it, when it's in sport mode. I thought the revving was coming from the sound generator but it wasn't. I don't know if it's normal but a different car dealer told me it was normal for those cars.
I will still keep my eye on the forum as everyone seems a nice bunch but I just didn't get on with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, no I'm going for a new shape Cupra estate. I had a couple of others in mind that I have had before, another A4 avant or c class estate but the Cupra was the best deal. It meant that I wasn't really losing much on the Kia so thought I'd give the Cupra a go.
When I'm buying a car, I always put the new car details into an online valuation tool (it's sad I know) to see what comes up and to see how far away the asking price is to the price that an online valuation gives. They used to be about £2k difference. With the current car sales/shortage situation, the Audi and Merc were coming up at about £4k difference (dealer adding £4k onto the part ex price) but the Cupra actually came up at a higher price as a part ex than I am paying (if that makes sense) so I'm going with one of those. I've had the old 300 bhp Seat Cupra but the new Cupra interiors are better than the older model Seat I had.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cupra will be loud too. It has sound generator. Go for quiet car when revs are annoying you. I think it's definitely harder ride than proceed. Reconsider while you can.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
975 Posts
Well, not much to say is there? If you are unhappy, trade it in. I couldn't live with a car that annoyed me.

Perhaps I've been lucky it hasn't happened to me yet, but I do take a long time to consider my options. A couple of cars I was considering were rejected after just a few miles of a test drive.

I wish you good luck in your search.

Reactions: Phil in Wales

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
762 Posts
I just don't get it, when it's in sport mode. I thought the revving was coming from the sound generator but it wasn't. I don't know if it's normal but a different car dealer told me it was normal for those cars.
In my experience Sports mode in modestly powered automatic cars is ever a pleasant experience, the software tends just to keep the revs higher by keeping in an artificially low gear to give the impression of faster accelerator response, but the end result is usually lots of unnecessary reving and noise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was considering buying a 1.6 GT. I'm in the UK

Is this issue relating to automatic models?
Mine is the 1.6 gt auto. Don't let me put you off, there are lots of people who like them. It's just not for me. The Cupra that I'm looking at is very quiet, it's the 245 bhp ehybrid and I believe the noise generator can be turned off in cupra mode.. It wasn't the sound generator that bothered me. I had turned the sound generator off in the gt as I thought it was that that was doing the revving noise but it wasn't. The engine sounded like it was revvings it's nuts off. I'm 50 years old, I don't need a car revving away trying to sound like a sports car when it isn't.
I've had performance cars before that make noise (I don't consider the kia gt a performance car, I didn't buy it for that) so I don't mind noise, it was more the silly revving it does in sport mode. No other cars have done it.
My c43 was a v6 and my cla45 was a fast 2 litre. Both made nice noises but it's more the revving I don't like on the gt. I've never had a car do it.
With second hand car prices as they are, for me, it's a good time to move it on and get something else.
I love the look of the gt. It's just not for me with the unnecessary revvy engine :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@macgd016 : Thanks for letting me know this. I would have looked at A class! I prefer a vehicle with a chain cam and quiet cabin. Ceed also has tyre noise coming in the cabin.
I have had a few merc (3 c classes, a c43 and a cla45).
I spoke to a dealer yesterday about some new A class models he has on special offer. They are in Patagonia red which I think is a very nice colour. I think they were the A200 amg and A200 sport models in that colour off of the top of my head. Lachlan at Wakefield stratstone is the chap I was talking to

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
975 Posts
How is this a premium car then! Just because of Merc badge?
Not really a premium car, is it? Might feel it sitting inside and in the £5m showroom, but when you consider the lower spec models come with torsion beam rear suspension and a engine developed with Renault-Nissan it tells you it is just a stack-em high mass production car like the Ceed or the Focus or the Corolla (incidentally, all Ceed, Focus and Corrollas come with multi-link rear suspension). As for rattles, well see Point 7 here.

But hey, if you like it a car, you should buy one I'd say. Not everyone has the same requirements from their motor.

Reactions: Phil in Wales

·
Registered
65 Posts
Those premium brands are doing that for a long period. They just give you best suspension car loaded full and you enjoy your test ride, while later on you order a basic model due to acceptable price. And than you get a different car, after three months losing that feeling of the Merc or BMW badge suddenly you feel like donkey. Then maintaince cost knock on the door and it hurts badly. In the mean time if you have additional problems and have to analize premium brands warranty which is not applicable for all parts, than you almost have feeling that you are totally screwed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi, no I'm going for a new shape Cupra estate. I had a couple of others in mind that I have had before, another A4 avant or c class estate but the Cupra was the best deal. It meant that I wasn't really losing much on the Kia so thought I'd give the Cupra a go.
When I'm buying a car, I always put the new car details into an online valuation tool (it's sad I know) to see what comes up and to see how far away the asking price is to the price that an online valuation gives. They used to be about £2k difference. With the current car sales/shortage situation, the Audi and Merc were coming up at about £4k difference (dealer adding £4k onto the part ex price) but the Cupra actually came up at a higher price as a part ex than I am paying (if that makes sense) so I'm going with one of those. I've had the old 300 bhp Seat Cupra but the new Cupra interiors are better than the older model Seat I had.
I test drove the hell out of it. It's nice and fast. The sound generator is beyond ridiculous though. Cupra mode (aka sport mode) brings up the most ridiculous fake V8 sound I've ever heard :D have you tried driving it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought the Cupra sportstourer 245 on Friday and returned it rejected today. It had lots of issues, tyre torn in 2 places and split in another (that was just one tyre), one wheel kerbed badly in 2 places, a deep scratch badly touched up with a pen, what looked like coolant loss, level was low and it was splashed around the bay. Hadn't even been valeted, filthy on the outside and I found parking tickets in the inside that they hadn't even bothered to clean out. So I have the proceed back on my drive. The steering in the proceed felt heavy on the way back compared to the cupra.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
762 Posts
I bought the Cupra sportstourer 245 on Friday and returned it rejected today. It had lots of issues, tyre torn in 2 places and split in another (that was just one tyre), one wheel kerbed badly in 2 places, a deep scratch badly touched up with a pen, what looked like coolant loss, level was low and it was splashed around the bay. Hadn't even been valeted, filthy on the outside and I found parking tickets in the inside that they hadn't even bothered to clean out. So I have the proceed back on my drive. The steering in the proceed felt heavy on the way back compared to the cupra.
And you didn't notice any of this when you test drove it 😅

Where on earth do you go now, or perhaps just drive your Proceed in Comfort mode 😂

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.