Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear parking sensors have just started going off all the time when in reverse. I have a tow bar which has been on the car for the last three years. My car is an 03. Has anyone got any help on this matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Hi. I fitted my own rear sensors from E Bay £22 including the hole cutter. On odd occassions they pick up the rain drops or a bit of muck can do it. They are not 'flat' and part of the sencor rim is lipped over more this reflects the field of pick upin a generaldown position. See about a gentle wipe do not push sensor with finger/thumb, check if 'lip' at top.
Steve Gx Blackpool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
If you have a towbar with electrics fitted, they will interfere with the sensors. Fitting a removable towbar can eleviate the problem! There are post in this forum pertaining to this problem,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
treall said:
My rear parking sensors have just started going off all the time when in reverse. I have a tow bar which has been on the car for the last three years. My car is an 03. Has anyone got any help on this matter.

Chances are one of the sensors has gone faulty for them to just start going on all the time in reverse,try unplugging the sensors one at a time and see if it stops it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
when i fitted my towbar the sensors started playing up.strange thing is though, sometimes they go off continually in reverse, other times the work correctly!!
go figure!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
m623d said:
when i fitted my towbar the sensors started playing up.strange thing is though, sometimes they go off continually in reverse, other times the work correctly!!
go figure!

Sorry the way I read it the sensors were fitted before the tow bar which you had fitted 3 years ago and they had just started playing up. In your second post you've answered your own question once the tow bar was fitted they started to play up, hence the towbar is interfeering with them or as it doesen't happen all the time one of the sensors is breaking down
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
wasnt my original post!! the original poster hasnt replied yetI was just saying since fitting my towbar, my sensors have played up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
m623d said:
wasnt my original post!! the original poster hasnt replied yetI was just saying since fitting my towbar, my sensors have played up
Did the ones you fitted have the ability to be aimed?The ones I have fitted on mine come with a collar that is offset allowing you to turn the sensor to aim them slightly up/down/left/right. . It must be the inner two sensors that are cuasing the problem, it may be both or just one. Try unplugging one of them at a time and see if that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
they were factory fit sensors, worked fine before towbar.i could understand why they wouldnt work properly all the time, but why are they ok sometimes??
Would have to remove bumper to unplug I think, cause they are behind the towbar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
m623d said:
they were factory fit sensors, worked fine before towbar.i could understand why they wouldnt work properly all the time, but why are they ok sometimes??
Would have to remove bumper to unplug I think, cause they are behind the towbar.
Kia electrics probably designed by the guy who did the Fiat ones
. They could have dirt on them etc. I have noticed with mine whilst backing down the drive that the nearside one will sometimes pick up next doors fence when it has been dry for a period but work fine the rest of the time. If the Kia ones are like the ones off EBay then you have to follow the wires to the unit where they plug in and unplug them there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
The tow bar does affect the sensors, but, when reversing towards an object they still do their job well and very accurately. Unless they get on your nerves I cannot forsee any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
If any one of the sensors are iced up or are obscured by dirt or foreign objects (wet leaves are a popular item with mine) the alarm will sound continuously.
Jim
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top