Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum.

Theparking brake had several faults last winter in very very cold conditions approx minus 10 degrees.

It seams to me that something freezes up causing two things.

1:- it takes many pulls of the release handle to get the warning light to go out, even then the brakes can still bind on, you can smell them burning.

2:- Applied the parking brake on a hill, took foot of the foot brake and the car just rolled back as though the brakemechanisum was frozen.

3:- Was in the Frech Alps in January, Parked the car up for the day approx -6 degrees. came back from a days skiing and drove the car to the fuel station approx 600meters and the parking brake was binding. smelt the burning.returned to thecar park and parkedon a gentle slope for approx 30 to 40 minutes in minus 10 degrees, came back to the car and started the engine to defrost the windows. got out of the car to scrape the windows and after approx 5 mins waiting outside it for it to defrost it just rolled off down the slope by itself as though the parking mechanisum had thawed out. its a manual gear box.

my older 57 plate Sedona had a similar problem with the brake sticking on.

Any Idea's anyone ?

Ged

·
Registered
662 Posts
water in the cable has frozen expect the rubber grommet ends are adrift or split replace the cables and get the brakes properley adjusted

·
Registered
141 Posts
as viking paul has said and for the breaks to be adjusted is a must.
have seen it many times when i was working in the motor trade some people think

hanbrake is not working that just adjusting the cables is all you have to do.

and many times its rear shoe adustment is needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts