Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 4 HEV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I’m new to Kia, and have just purchased a Sorento 4 HEV. I’m really pleased with it so far and impressed by all of the various gadgets.

One thing that I’m unsure about so far though is the front parking sensors, and the Park Distance Warning coming on.

The car is equipped with both front and rear parking sensors. The rear ones always activate (along with the cameras) when I put the car in to reverse. The front ones however do not automatically activate (unless switching from reverse to drive). I need to press the button on the centre console to activate them. At this point they function ok.

I have been trying to find out if this is the expected behaviour by searching across multiple forums and other web articles, but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer anywhere.

In my previous car, when the speed dropped low enough and you approached an object the sensors would automatically warn you when you got close, without having to manually activate the system. It seems strange that for a car with so many driver assist settings that you have to activate one of the basic ones manually

I’ve read a few posts regarding other Kia models which indicate that manually activating the sensors is just how it is on Kia’s. However - the manual provided with my car indicates there is an ‘Auto ON’ setting for Park Distance Warning, but I don’t have the options described when I go into my vehicle settings.

I wonder - does anyone else have this option (or do their Sorento front sensors automatically activate?).

Not sure if I’m missing something?!!

Attaching the relevant pages from the manual, and the options I have for Park Assist in the settings.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Hi & Welcome

Have moved this to the Sorento section as we have a few users with the same car, who would be better placed to help.

Reactions: Phil in Wales

·
Registered
Sorento 4 HEV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I did try to post here but after I registered it told me I didn’t have sufficient privileges to post on this forum so I plugged for the Kia Customer Service one instead (on the basis that I may need to ask them this question ultimately anyway!)

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Thanks - I did try to post here but after I registered it told me I didn’t have sufficient privileges to post on this forum so I plugged for the Kia Customer Service one instead (on the basis that I may need to ask them this question ultimately anyway!)
No problem.
Just approved your post. So all is good.
Feel free to join in with other stuff, we are a friendly bunch.

Hope you are enjoying learning about your new tech toy 😃

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Whilst I do not have an answer directly about your question I can say with some confidence there are a number of software features missing from the current firmware which are in the manual. I know this since the update for turning the alarm sensor modules off was missing until a recent release I believe.

I am guessing that the software was not feature complete when the cars went into production. My advice is to contact your dealer and ask them to update your car firmware to the latest version and also query your specific problem.

·
Registered
Sorento 4 HEV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have written to the dealer to ask what software and firmware versions I should be on, and whether they can tell me why I don’t have the auto on setting available.

I would still be keen to hear from other Sorento owners to see if anyone has this available (which would indicate a software/firmware update is needed).

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Whilst I do not have an answer directly about your question I can say with some confidence there are a number of software features missing from the current firmware which are in the manual. I know this since the update for turning the alarm sensor modules off was missing until a recent release I believe.

I am guessing that the software was not feature complete when the cars went into production. My advice is to contact your dealer and ask them to update your car firmware to the latest version and also query your specific problem.
Possibly relates to the various levels the cars are available in & the fact they will not write a manual for each level.

·
Registered
587 Posts
> The car is equipped with both front and rear parking sensors. The rear ones always activate (along with the cameras) when I put the car in to reverse. The front ones however do not automatically activate (unless switching from reverse to drive). I need to press the button on the centre console to activate them. At this point they function ok.
That's how they work on my 2016 Sorento.

But I agree that the manual you've photographed suggests that auto-on is an option. One for the dealer, I think.

·
Registered
Sorento HEV4 1.6 Hybrid AWD
20 Posts
I've had a 2016 Sorento KX4, 2018 Sorento Gt-Line- S and now the Sorento HEV 4. On all cars the front camera has to be turned on manually. The reverse sensors are activated when reverse is selected which turn the camera and sensors on. The sensors stay on when moving from reverse to drive, which I consider right, as the car is probably being moved in a tight situation If the front camera and sensors are switched on automatically or when drive is selected, wouldn't they be coming on in heavy traffic? What a pain that would be.

·
Registered
Sorento 4 HEV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had a 2016 Sorento KX4, 2018 Sorento Gt-Line- S and now the Sorento HEV 4. On all cars the front camera has to be turned on manually. The reverse sensors are activated when reverse is selected which turn the camera and sensors on. The sensors stay on when moving from reverse to drive, which I consider right, as the car is probably being moved in a tight situation If the front camera and sensors are switched on automatically or when drive is selected, wouldn't they be coming on in heavy traffic? What a pain that would be.
Not really, on my last car the front sensors activated only under something like 2 or 3mph, and when you were around 50-60cm from an object. I wouldn’t be that close to anyone in heavy traffic (and if I was, I’d want to know about it!).

The main thing I want to know is whether anyone with the latest Sorento 4 has the option described in the manual, or whether their car behaves differently to mine. My personal preference would be to use the setting if it was available - appreciate it wouldn’t be everyone’s.

·
Registered
Sorento HEV4 1.6 Hybrid AWD
20 Posts
As I said previously the front camera and sensors have to be switched on manually on all of my Sorentos including my current 2021 Sorento HEV4 hybrid. They come on automatically if you move from reverse to forward drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have the PHEV version in the Executive Line trim which you call "4".

I can confirm that when I drive under 10km/h about 5mph for you my front distance sensor come one and start to warn me when I get to close to stationary objects which are in front of the vehicle, but not the camera only the sensors.

I however have a different menu selection compared to you and I suspect it is the lack of PDW that is the problem. (dialogue in the image on the right only shown when you tick the PDW Auto Activation dialogue box.)

·
Registered
Sorento 4 HEV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s interesting - thanks for posting that. I’m guessing you’re in the Netherlands from your flag?

Would you mind posting the software and firmware versions that your car is on at all please?

I am in contact with the dealer that sold me the car about it - so it would be useful information to give to him (especially if he refers it back to Kia UK).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Broudie,

Yup I live in the Netherlands, but as our dutch kia forum is behind the time I joined this one.
I know our vehicles are slightly different, but a lot should be the same. Can I asked how you were able to post to this forum as I do not seem to have the permission. I have a list of items I want to post regarding a wish list of features that should be easy to enable or tweak and thing I feel are missing based on the kia product marketing.

Coming back to your question, please find below the image of my vehicle firmware.

I have also for accuracy take all the photos that are under the parking assistance menu.

This is the default layout when you enter the sub menu:

Scrolled down and "PDW Auto Activation" deslected (notice text change)

now with the option ticked.

·
Registered
Sorento 4 HEV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks again for posting - my guess is that this is down to software versioning. The dealer has said to me the car was updated to the latest software when it was registered and there haven’t been any updates released since then.

Apart from yours having a P and mine an H, they both look like EUR versions, and I’d hazard a guess that yours is later than mine, just based on sequential numbering…!

Maybe the Kia customer services account that posts on this forum could clarify?

As for posting in this forum I also didn’t have permission, so I originally posted to another forum (the customer services one) and an admin kindly moved the post to this one. Guessing once you go over a certain number of posts restrictions are relaxed?

·
Registered
Sorento 4 HEV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Kia Customer Service are you able to clarify anything on this thread at all please?

Should my 2020 plate UK HEV ‘4’ have the auto activate setting on the front parking sensors, as my counterpart in The Netherlands has on his PHEV of the same spec?

Is it purely a software thing? Am I on the latest version?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks again for posting - my guess is that this is down to software versioning. The dealer has said to me the car was updated to the latest software when it was registered and there haven’t been any updates released since then.

Apart from yours having a P and mine an H, they both look like EUR versions, and I’d hazard a guess that yours is later than mine, just based on sequential numbering…!

View attachment 10465

Maybe the Kia customer services account that posts on this forum could clarify?

As for posting in this forum I also didn’t have permission, so I originally posted to another forum (the customer services one) and an admin kindly moved the post to this one. Guessing once you go over a certain number of posts restrictions are relaxed?
I suspect the "P" in my software is for Plug-in Hybrid [PHEV] and your "H" is for Hybrid [HEV].
if it helps my vehicle was delivered to the dealership 19th April 2021

My VIN decode to 2021 build sequence number 31474
Regards
Paul

·
Registered
43 Posts
@Kia Customer Service are you able to clarify anything on this thread at all please?

Should my 2020 plate UK HEV ‘4’ have the auto activate setting on the front parking sensors, as my counterpart in The Netherlands has on his PHEV of the same spec?

Is it purely a software thing? Am I on the latest version?

thanks in advance!

Sorry for the late reply but I suddenly remembered that I had activated mine recently and it works as expected, coming on when going slowly. I have a 2021 PHEV 3 and have the PDW auto setting on mine. I have also included my software version.

·
Registered
Sorento 4 HEV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you that’s really helpful - I will show this to the dealership, who are still trying to establish what’s happening…

1 - 19 of 19 Posts