done?.

And those that have had it done.....any issues?....anything i need to
watch out for etc?

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've seen this done on a Range Rover Sport and it was a fantastic job. The film had cut outs for all the Range Rover lettering along the bonnet and you had to look really hard to see the film.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also interested in this,can you tell me the name of the product as there are quite a few on the net and I dont know a good one from a bad one.I've only had my tempest a couple of weeks and am worried considering all the letters with paint problems,perhaps the 7 year warranty isn't worth the paper its written on?
Lee

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
several people on the american forums have had it done and rave about it.....there are a couple on the uk forums that are about to have it done - so i will wait for their comments and experiences shortly. There are only a few companies that seem to deal with it in the UK.....an alternative option if you are feeling brave is to buy a kit off ebay and fit it yourself (see youtube for demos) or employ a window tint place to fit it for you.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lee515 said:
I am also interested in this,can you tell me the name of the product as there are quite a few on the net and I dont know a good one from a bad one.I've only had my tempest a couple of weeks and am worried considering all the letters with paint problems,perhaps the 7 year warranty isn't worth the paper its written on?
Lee
Hi Lee,

Sorry if the paint scare stories are spoiling the Tempest for you. You might be lucky - yours might have been painted properly......the important thing now is to make sure your car dosent get damaged in the first place.......and thats up to you reading the forums and deciding what action you need to take in comparison with how long you intend keeping the car.

Please dont let yourself get into my position.....which is with a Tempest, that after 3-4 weeks careful use in the winter - now requires a bottom half respray to the tune of £2000.......

Gary.

·
Registered
111 Posts
its not good all having to do what should have been sorted at the factory my idea would be a recall of all souls and the bottom half of the doors fitted with the plastic covers like the vitara or sportage i it becomes known that this model has issues this early on it will sink
Without trace.alsowhy when a proper set of mudflaps factory fitted would have eliminated the problem 100 percent was this not done? Im sure people would rather see them than the mess resulting from no protection!come on kia get some proper aftermarket protective plasticsavaliable at least! I dont believe its all the paints fualt wot i think is there is a design flaw with debris being flung back toward the specific areas and causing real problems..end of argument some surely must recognise this and act in the responsible manner to rectify this who that is is the sticking piont.

·
Registered
111 Posts
its interesting that once you become aware of something how intereting that topic becomes ... me ,im becoming acutely aware that certain motor manufacturers seem to be doing quite a lot to protect their products from the factory i sspotted this brave attempt by toyota ( a yaris in fact )it seems that something along these lines would be all that was neccessary to alleviate a lot of the woes suffered by soul users at the mo! . not a long job to stamp these out by laser and have em retro fitted an hour or so max got to cheaper in the long than a lot of people with paint problems!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/Olivialucy/jonnysnokia028.jpg

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i agree that when a car is designed to have sticky out wheels and then bodywork that bulges out behind that point, measures should have been taken to protect it at the factory.

The only way the nose/bonnet can be protected tho is by the clear film protection or by better paint. Nissan have been banging on for years about self healing paint......and as materials technology and painting technology has been improving - how can the durability of paint be taking a fall?

i cant get the link to work - i assume its a toyota picture.

·
Registered
111 Posts
as an aside to the above i have been reliably informed that the little right angle you can see in the bottom corner is fitted on cars not to prevent stone damage but to counteract the effect of the air that gets pulled in through the door shut lines and exits at the bottom where the film is apparrently it is almost like a grit blaster as tiny particles of dirt are forced through the gap at the back this is why on some vehicles there is a small piece on the leading edge of the rear door ! seen it and ever wondered why its there well there you go!the guy was very clued up and has many years in the paint game . i would say the vehicle is put in a wind flow tunnel and they take the neccessary steps (or not) to protect thea bits that look at risk ,unfortunately in a real life environment,where road debris and other traffic is present things are vey different.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it makes sense....i have seen machinery called Hydrocyclones.......which spin air into a tighter radius or aperture to increase the pressure.......add a bit of grit in there and you got yourself a grit blaster or paint remover.....call it what you will.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts