Kia Owners Club Forum banner

paint

22K views 182 replies 25 participants last post by  conwelpic 
#1 ·
Hi is anybody suffering from paint chipping just been reading an american forum seems to be a problem there is it in the uk and has anybody found a way to protect the paint from chips

See less See more
#6 ·
I have a red SAMBA and it is very prone to chips. Problem appears worse on metal parts of car.i.e bonnet and rear wheel arches also back lower quarter of rear doors. Paint on plastic parts not affected as yet, according to U.S sites metalic finishes seem to fare better. Not good enough for car with only 5k miles, dealer says he will photograph it and contact Kia U.K. Hope to get a warranty repair,probably have to fight for it. Otherwise I am very happy !

#7 ·
Hi all paint chip troubled owners. Yes my black Soul 2 has chips on the leading edges of bonnet, rear lower quarter of rear doors and leading edges of rear wheel arch. I am gong to photograph the chips before contacting Kia. There is a product, I think it is called 'second skin'. It is a clear vinyl that sticks to vulnerable surfaces. Kia have put some on the wheel arch but not enough. I have seen it cut for various cars but as of writing this, have not had time to look on the web for it.
I was hoping at my stage in life I could keepa car for a good number of years, but if it is going to chip away under me, it does not look to promising. Shame because it is a good car. It could do with proper folding seats though, to utilise the desent boot space.

#9 ·
Kia contacted me today and they say that they do not know of any paint chip problems,I told them to look on this site which they appeared not to know of. I think that complaints are needed direct to Kia if anybody has problems. By the way how does the boot net fix as I cannot see any where to fit it on the front section,there are two fixing points on the far rear pillars.

#10 ·
I posted earlier regarding the paint problems. I have e-mailed Kia via info@kia.co.uk This is not an advertised e-mail address, it was a guess. It has not been returned via Postmaster so I presume they have recieved it, although I do not expect an answer. I stated that I know it is a world wide problem because of the various Soul Owners sites. I also attached photos, which we all need to do if contacting them.
I also said that I had noticed that they have signed up to the SMMT code of practice regarding new cars, warranty and servicing problems. The SMMT state that should owners not get a satisfactory outcome from the manufacturer that they (SMMT) will take a conciliatory stance between the owner and the manufacturer.

We all need to write or e-mail Kia and see what they say, then contact the SMMT with our problems if not resolved. Kia cannot argue with a major company like the SMMT even if they can play off the owners by saying they have not heard of the problem. Check out www.kiasoulforums.com for owners from all over the world with the same problem. Making a fuss in the press will quickly reduce the value of the Soul, so at this stage the problem needs to be kept away from the press. I do not buy TOP GEAR magazine, but I do know they have had a Soul on long term test and do mention any problems they have with it. Maybe somebody here buys the magazine and can give us some info on whether they have mentioned it.

#11 ·
I've done 18,000 miles in my white Soul and luckily I've not suffered from any noticable chips yet, which is surprising as stones have hit it and considering the shape. So far, I would say that the Soul is better, or at least no worse, than any other car I've had when it comes to chips and paint quality.

The clearvinyl paint film is good stuff. I saw the whole front of a Range Rover Sport covered in it and it wasn'tnoticeableuntil you really looked very hard.

#13 ·
I took my car to Kia Bolton, as they are owned by Kia. Three weeks ago tomorrow (24/4/10) The service manager took a couple of photos, but I also supplied a cd with photos of the problem. To date I have not had a reply. I find it amazing that only the owners of Souls have experianced this problem and nobody from Kia knows of it. What happens to the annual paintwork check that is supposed to be done whilst in for service. Do non of the souls have the problem or is a 'blind eye' turned?

#19 ·
If Kia.uk don`t resolve the paint issues I and others are having they will damage the reputation of an otherwise very good vehicle. If the problem is as rare as Murphwiz suggests the costs would be minimal compared to the bad press the Soul might suffer as a result. Lets hope common-sense prevails.

#20 ·
I have looked very carefully at my Soul Tempest which is now nearly two moths old and 4k miles on it ,a mix of motorway and town/rural driving and I cannot find any marks/chips at all on it.I am going to have mud flaps fitted as an extra precaution.MPG has been around 37mpg when I have really pushed it and I mean pushed but on normal mixed driving I am getting a steady 49-51 mpg.

#21 ·
My Tempest has suffered on the rear doors quite badly. I got some side bars to protect the sills, rear doors and rear arches.....and will get the film covering for the nose and bonnet. Kia mud flaps are pretty but useless for protection....i fitted home made bigger ones over the top of them.

#24 ·
ust had a call from Kia refuting that stone chipping on the rear doors
is a warranty issue on a 3 month old car. Repair bill is £2,000 to put
it right.......and yet in other parts of the country they are doing this
as a warranty repair.......think i got some shouting to do!.

Any cars already had their doors resprayed under warranty - please PM
me...i know of a couple already.

Thanks

Gary.

#25 ·
hmmm......Buy a 14 grand Kia and then spend 2 grand every 3 months having the paint chips put right.......so cant wait to rush out and buy another one and recommend them to all my friends!. Hope Kia are reading this and feeling ashamed.....hope other owners are reading this and having their cars protected by other companies products. I think its disgraceful that Kia deny there is a chipping problem.....but just happen to be fitting plastic bonnet protectors as standard in American.....obviously American stones must chip worse.....or is it the litigation culture they are afraid of. I bought this car expecting almost Japanese standards of quality and construction and design.......i will know next time.......I adore my Soul......this is so destroying the pleasure i get out of my cars.

#26 ·
As I mentioned in an earlier post. Kia have signed up with the SMMT regarding customer care on new cars. Check out the SMMT website and contact them as advised. I contacted my Kia dealera few weeks ago regarding the problem. Did not really expect a reply from what I have read on the various blogs from around the world. Kia did not dissappoint, they did as I expected, nothing!
I amabroad at the moment and will contact my dealer when I get back.

Sounds like Murphwiz suffers a little Kia Soul blindness. Kia must have meetings to brainwash their staff to having a blind eye.

http://www.smmt.co.uk/home.cfm

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.