Kia Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 60 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Collected car this afternoon,very pleased with paint job done. Credit must go to Charles Hurst ,KIa,and the aftersales/service staff who worked hard to bring my paint issue to a satisfactory conclusion. For the sceptics out there, no I`m not on the pay- roll.
. Just giving credit where it`s due. Cheers, Ian.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
eyebee said:
Collected car this afternoon,very pleased with paint job done. Credit must go to Charles Hurst ,KIa,and the aftersales/service staff who worked hard to bring my paint issue to a satisfactory conclusion. For the sceptics out there, no I`m not on the pay- roll.
. Just giving credit where it`s due. Cheers, Ian.
I totally agree, a big well done to Charles Hurst Kia.

Pleased that you got a happy resolution to the paint issue. You are yet another owner who has had the work done under warranty and created a presidence for Kia to try to ignore.

I personally am continuing with the fight and will keep you all informed.

Gary.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice one Eyebee. Hope the paint lasts. Sorry to sound down about it, but I took my Soul to the dealers yesterday and two things happened. Firstly I was washing the car ready for them to photograph the problem, and two large flakes of paint came off the back door, where the paint is chipping. There is NO undercoat under the paint!! Straight down to bare metal. When I arrived at the dealers, the first thing they mentioned was that Kia had just sent a bullitin saying that some Souls are known tobe sufferingpaint damage. They took the photos, but I told them, the only way to cure the stone chipping is to at least have an undercoat, and if that is missing from the whole car a quick respray will not cure it. The car will need a bare metal strip down to give the paint something to grip to. I told them this must be the cure. So it is that or a replacement car.
I have kept the paint flake for independent annalysis should it get to that. Sorry I could not inform you before your respray,as I said all this did not happen until yesterday. Keep a check on the rest of your painted panels.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am quite alarmed by these stories.

Our Soul is 1 year old in a couple weeks time and has done over 20,000 miles. Today I've had it washed, waxed and polished - as I've never get around to waxing it, I thought that now it was a year old, I'd pay to have it done. Anyway, now that it has all the flies and tar off it, I could inspect the paintwork. It is almost faultless. There isn't really any stone chips on the bonnet or front edges. The only area that is suffering is on the rear wheel arches and the lower corner of the doors - there is chipping just above the protective tape.

So not all Souls seem to be badly painted. And I would guess I have one of the older and higher mileage Souls here, so you expect any issues to be showing by now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oops, I've just realised that what I thought was dirt on the door on the top photo (near side) is actually loads of very small chips. The grey is the undercoat.Obviously shows that the mudflaps are doing their job - which I knew anyway.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Are you happy with that level of chipping after 20,000 miles??.......my Fiat that i traded in for my Soul had 90,000 miles on the clock and a total of 5 stone chips......how do you post pics on here???....i have some to show you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To put add a photo, I first put the photos onto my own FTP space (website) and then used the 'insert image' button.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I extended my mudflaps today which should go a long way to stop further damage to the paintwork on the rear door and wheelarch.The genuine Kia mudflaps are absolutely useless and they are far too small. After arecommendationon this forum, I fitted some http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_377079_langId_-1_categoryId_165675">Halfords Ripspeedmudflaps</a>in front of the genuine Kia ones. These new flaps are the rally style plastic sheet which I cut to shape. They look pretty good and you'd hardly notice that they weren't the proper items.

I hope now the lower half of the doors will stay cleaner too. They were covered in tar.

Edited by: d3matt

·
Registered
111 Posts
hi i noticed you have got the black mudflap material from halfords ive just purchased the same stuff to extend the short kia ones and wondered how did you manage to pick up and affix to the the inner securing bolt as it is set further back than the three screws down the outside edge or did you just use the three on the outside edge? would appreciate the advice if you could help cheers!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i did something similiar to my car and on the front two i just popped an extra screw through the new flap and into the moulded box part of the Kia flap......the bigger flaps do a great job.....i lost one last week and the whole side of the car was covered in mud within 3 days!!!........just beware of reversing up kerbs.......the longer flaps get trapped on the tyre and get ripped off......no damage to the car tho, the flaps are soft enough to rip without damage......they are well worth fitting, its just a shame that we have to go to these lengths to protect such fragile paintwork.

·
Registered
111 Posts
one question, do you think there is a chance this fitting of secondary mudflaps could in any way invalidate the warranty its just a thought! personally think doing this is gonna be the way to stop any claims but you know what i mean!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the secondary mudflaps use the existing ones as a sandwich - so they dont actually touch the Soul in any way and use the existing fittings also.......so there couldnt possibly be any cause for dispute.

If however people fitted the type of mudflap that clamp onto the wheelarch lip and these damage the paint and underseal protection and create an issue then - this could be the case. Anyway the car has to have regular inspections to keep the body warranty valid and any issues raised and corrected then.

·
Registered
76 Posts
tempest said:
i did something similiar to my car and on the front two i just popped an extra screw through the new flap and into the moulded box part of the Kia flap......the bigger flaps do a great job.....i lost one last week and the whole side of the car was covered in mud within 3 days!!!........just beware of reversing up kerbs.......the longer flaps get trapped on the tyre and get ripped off......no damage to the car tho, the flaps are soft enough to rip without damage......they are well worth fitting, its just a shame that we have to go to these lengths to protect such fragile paintwork.

I fitted the same as Tempest - just used the 3 screws that hold the original mudlap in place, then added an extra screw and spring clip at the rear in the box section on the original mudflap. The rest of the new mudflap just sits against the plastic wheelarch liner and doesn't need fixing.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Just had Kia uk on the phone refusing my warranty claim yet again. Anybody want to buy a Kia Soul Tempest???......low mileage.....5 months old......one very careful owner from new.....needs bottom half respray to the tune of 2 grand..........yeah.....thought not...........

Back to Fiat for me then......its a sad day when you get better paint on a Fiat!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Was the car bought on finance? If so, the finance company may also be liable for the quality or otherwise of the vehicle. Perhaps a threat to reject the vehicle may help in getting the finance company onside.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have had an offer of a repaint from Kia, but have rejected it on the grounds that unless it is complete bare metal strip, it will not cure the problem of the paint not sticking to the non existant undercoat.
Kia customer services- [email protected]

Photos of my Soul http://soulowner.wordpress.com/

I am not clever enough to put the photos on this blog.

·
Registered
111 Posts
just a quick question ... how much do you think the damage would have been reduced had a decent set of mudflaps factory fitted been in place? if as i suspect the rear door area is in direct line with the ffront wheel for stone chips the only answers are
a.a proper method by which all debris is prevented at source from damaging the ares behind the wheel(proper stoneguards which by the way they tell you to fit in the handbook if you are going on any roads which may have debris chippings etc if its gonna b a problem why arent they fitted from new)
b.fit the bottomhalf of the doors with covers ,these are widely avaliable for many 4x4s across america where i assume the roads can be a little bit scratchy.methinks a lot of souls are going to be wanting work done before long

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i had the factory mud flaps fitted.......didnt stop any of it. And they dont stop the paint chipping off way too easy when a passing car flicks a small stone up. the problems is the thin weak paint and the lack of protection in the vulnerable areas.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Paint update: Had car back for a week after chip repairs under warranty ,at first it looked first class, then dark stains appeared under newly painted areas. Back in the paint shop now for another week,apparently the primer is bleeding into the paint!! Puts a bit of a damper on owning a new car which I thoroughly enjoy otherwise. On the plus side I`m not paying but still could do without the hassle. Cheers for now, Ian.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
eyebee said:
Paint update: Had car back for a week after chip repairs under warranty ,at first it looked first class, then dark stains appeared under newly painted areas. Back in the paint shop now for another week,apparently the primer is bleeding into the paint!! Puts a bit of a damper on owning a new car which I thoroughly enjoy otherwise. On the plus side I`m not paying but still could do without the hassle. Cheers for now, Ian.
Thats crap!!!....hope they sort it....dont give up - keep chucking it back and dont sign until your happy.

When they were discussing repainting mine, i queried how good a match would they get on the Titanium finish...they replied "oh we respray that colour all the time".......i wonder if its the same car they do over and over again.......

When i had my Fiat bumped, i sent it back 5 times over a two year period until i was happy with it (the paint fell off a couple of times on the repair too)......whatever happened to people having "personal standards" and "doing the job right".......bet i sound like a right moaning old fart!!

41 - 60 of 183 Posts