Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have noted in several posts that some buyers have paid a couple of hundred pounds for a ""˜paint protection system'. Lots of dealers sell this protection for new cars under a variety of names, clearly chosen to instil a sense of good value, Safeguard, Sotheby's etc come to mind. My observation is that after paying an extra £470 (ish) for the car paint, and it's warranted for several years, why pay more for ""˜extra' protection? Is it really worth it? Surely, a good clean now and again will suffice to keep the paintwork looking good?
This brings me to my next point, as science seems to be ""˜improving' every aspect of life, what about paint protection? I would like to keep my paintwork looking great but do not want to pay a lot to do so OR experience a whole lot of hard work. A friend recently introduced me to Fenwick's Bobby Dazzler and I am MOST impressed. Simply wash the car thoroughly, rinse off, mix a small amount of Bobby Dazzler in a bucket of cold water and then spread liberally over the car and allow to dry ""¦job done and looking good.
For the technically minded the sales blurb ""¦..
Fenwick's Bobby Dazzler is a unique finish not just for caravans and motorhomes, but also for cars, lorries and vans. Bobby Dazzler is used in the rinse off water to provide a protective coat, that enhances the shine that is already there. Bobby Dazzler repels water very quickly, this helps dry the vehicle quickly, it also keeps it cleaner for longer and makes it easier to clean next time. Bobby Dazzler was designed after years spent finding problems caused by the misuse of wax polishes. Most of the difficult or problematic vehicles to clean have been polished at some time or another. Waxes cause a problem when they have been applied incorrectly i.e. used to remove stains (all you achieve is to lock the stains under a layer of wax), applied to a dirty vehicle and applied unevenly. It might not show immediately but after 6 months to a year the wax will start to cause a problem. The wax degrades due to environmental attack (UV, wind, rain, heat, and cold) it becomes rough and discolours. Water runs very slowly over the surface leaving the dirt behind, black streaks return very quickly and the vehicle becomes harder and harder to keep clean. Most people would now polish the vehicle again, but all they end up doing is locking that layer of dirty degraded wax under another layer of wax. What should really happen, is the wax polish should be removed, not an easy task and then polished again. This is a skilled job and hard work, also very difficult to do without removing any paint from the vehicle. Why go to all this hassle, only to cause problems and hard work?Fenwick's Bobby Dazzler is simply applied in the rinse off water. At 1 capful per 4 litres of water, it goes a very long way. Bobby Dazzler protects against road traffic film, salt spray, acid rain, rust, and airborne pollutants. It contains algae and mould inhibitor to slow their return. When the vehicle becomes dirty, it is easily washed as the dirt is stuck to the Bobby Dazzler and not the surface of the vehicle. When the vehicle is washed the Bobby Dazzler is washed off, so it does not build up and cause problems.Fenwick's Bobby Dazzler is made of the highest quality raw materials and is biodegradable and safe on all surfaces. Available in a 1 litre bottle about £8.
Anyone found a better product ?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I won't be paying a dealer extra for paint protection... or upholstery protection... or gap insurance.

If you really feel the need, all the the above can be found elsewhere at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yep agree with techno, when i get mine i will take it to a smaller gargage to get the paint protection, have done it will all my car and i feel that as well as protecting it it just gives it that extra shine.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I found when I looked at cars with paint protection put on them they looked like they had fine swirls In the painwork , from applying. Best to leave the paintprotection and do yourself with the products yourself you can buy superguard yourself from them direct at a fraction of the cost .

·
Registered
97 Posts
My dealer wanted us to buy autoglym's life guard. £399. I bought the whole kit new on ebay for £45

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had mine done with Supagard. The dealer offered me a package including carpet floor mats and boot liner for £250, which I didn't think was bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Geoff, I first used Bobby Dazzler about10 years ago on my caravan and I thought I'd try it on my car. Never used anything else since.
Mike

·
Registered
290 Posts
Best paint protection is a tin of decent polish and a bit of elbow grease once a month.My last car had it done against my wishes so i didnt pay for it thankfully as if i had i would not have been best pleased with the results.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dano said:
I found when I looked at cars with paint protection put on them they looked like they had fine swirls In the painwork , from applying. Best to leave the paintprotection and do yourself with the products yourself you can buy superguard yourself from them direct at a fraction of the cost .
DiamondBrite on mine and got swirls. Wish I hadn't bothered or had done it myself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just ordered some from amazon along with a Kent Large Micro Fiber drying towel.
Have a couple of those and their excellent, at £4 a pop their far better than a Shammy

·
Registered
97 Posts
well Geoff

Its arrived and i have to say it appears to do an excellent job on kepping that just washed shine!!

Cheers for the heads up, thanking you sir
Edited by: Datamonkey

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been thinking about the exact same thing. My father in law works for Porsche and warned me away from Supaguard which i was offered for £299.

I always find you get the best info from the guys that are passionate about the subject and also the guys that do it day in day out. Because of this i posted a cry for help on a detailing forum and got a unanimous response to use Werkstat Acrylic Kit.

With winter coming up i want the car protected before hand. The kit is £69 and it will take a few hours to apply. It will then apparently protect the car for 6 mths at least and many yrs if it is regulary reapplied. When reapplying you dont have to do the full treatment just spray on the protector.

here is the link to the post i made red for yourself.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=230116&highlight=white+new

Note i did specify i had a flat white car, i know they recommend different products dependent on the paint finish.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I use bobby dazzler on my caravan and car its great stuff, good shine after and easily washed, i also find the caravan cleaner they make very good on the car, its brill for removing squashed flies, you just leave it on for a couple of minutes to soak and they clean off a lot easier than with the bug remover stuff you buy, then rinse with bobby dazzler.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the best cleaner/polish i have used is showroom shine only avaliable on ideal shopping channel/website its a waterless wash and polish and its brilliant cost about £20 a bottle or wait until it is on bogof i have used it for about 3yrs now and wont use anything else,wash and polish car, windows and wheels in about 1 hr easy,also brilliant for the caravan as well.there is a small video on the shopping channel website and believe me it works better than anything else i have tried.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep I use this too, easy to apply any does not leave White marks on black trim. Not had the nerve to use it to " wash" the car as it claims to do. It just does not seem right trying to polish through dirt and grit!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use showroom shine been using it for a few years now great stuff i used it on my ford kuga and my santa fe no swirl marks works a treat never had any probs will use it on the sportage when she comes next week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts