Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Tempest back from the film protection installers yesterday. Would like to say thankyou to whoever posted the web-link to them on here (i cant find the actual post). Anyway got the car back and it looks superb. I am a mega fussy bugger as you may have already guessed - but i am very very pleased. It was good timing too cos i got cornered by 3 gritters on the 200 mile drive back home.

It was interesting to see my little kia surrounded by a big black Maserati, 2 BMW coupes and an Aston Martin. I had a chat with the fitter afterwards and he said it was one of the most difficult cars he has had to wrap. They have never done the Soul either here or America to the level i requested - so the patterns they have made from my car will be used round the world.

Just for others info (other companies claimed this was impossible!). The entire bonnet has been wrapped, as have the entire front wings and front bumper, all lower doors, rear wheel arches, mirror fronts, top of rear bumper and all front lights.

It was so good driving home knowing the car wasnt suffering.... i can finally enjoy it more.....I will probably put it thru a hedge now!!!....lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Could you post a photobucket link so we can see what it looks like?

Glad you are happier with it now, hope i dont get any problems with the paint on mine. only a couple more days to go before i pick it up!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
frankly if i took photos - you cannot see it until you are within a couple of inches of the body - it is that good and that unobtrusive. The car will be appearing on the Paintsheild website as they have never done a Kia Soul before and apparently nobody has ever had as much of the car covered as i have!!!. The templates they have made will be published worldwide for other owners to use. Just had the guys at work looking at it and they are all very impressed... i had to point it out to them. (they are forming a waiting list to buy it off me!!!...lol). One of the options would have been to have had the entire car wrapped..... if i could have afforded that one - i would have.... very very impressed. If the weather dosent close in i will take some pics at the weekend and email them if you PM me an email address....i can never get the photobucket thing to work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i got the front end. bonnet wing ends etc (but not bumper)protected with ventureshield and protected the door bottoms and rear wheel arches too and like tempest feel now that it has the protection it should have had from the factory ,it is suprising and disapointing too however that they havent made any effort on the new models to address the chipping and improve on the feeble protective measures in place , my advice if buying a soul now is to have the film protection work done straightaway to the best your buget can manage and be prepared to enjoy the car as intended with a little(a lot actually) more peace of mind!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Tempest, I posted the link for paintshield and I am very pleased that your happy with the job,

it just proves how usefull these forums are for sharing information. I haven't got round to having my sportage done yet so can you tell me how long it took to do the car and do they lend you a courtesy car if its neccessary.
cheers
Steve

·
Registered
111 Posts
mine was front 35% of bonnet ,wing ends and mirrors and it was £199 (best peace of mind investment ive ever done!!)you can buy paint protection kits from the american ebay site for £20 onwards ( they re called clear hood bra,s or full )kitsbut if you read the really really really small print it says they are best removed after a year ??? (i couldnt figure out why either!) but they will probably fade and be of dubious quality, this is why whoever does the job for you must use 3m venturesheild otherwise you may end up having to do it all again (and they dont reccomend stripping it off newly painted or non oven baked paintwork)you can buy other films that promise the earth qaulity wise but i did my door bottoms with one such supplier and it has yellowed after 7 months so im going to redo them with ventureshield in the spring ,in my experience there arent many owners who havent had paint chip issues and im sorry to speak bluntly but if they say they havent got any chips yet they aint looking hard enough!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have 13.5k plus on my 10 tempestnow,lots of motorway work at high speed and if you look very very close you can find the odd very small chip but at that mileage with the work its done I would expect nothing else.They are only on the leading edge of the bonnet there are none on the sides at this time.When washed and polished you have to look very hard to see them.I think that at some stage in the factory there has been a problem with the painting of some of the souls and this has caused the problems.Time will tell now over the winter with all the gritting but you can speak as blunt as you want eggobako and come and look hard but for what you willfind you will waste your time. The only complaint that I have with the Soul Tempest is that my wife wants to drive it all the time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
good to hear you got the pick of the litter paintwise!, if i may ask what is your colour ? the souls do have a chequered pattern of paint quality i think that from what ive heard thedarker colours and plain paints fare worst by the fact that you can see the primer if you get a chip but a nice white ..well they would be much less noticeable

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have a march 10 plate Soul Tempest GRDi in titianium grey metalic ,I have put the standard mudflaps on it but other than that it's bog standard as it came.I have a Parrot hands free phone kit fitted though.The reason I went for that model as it seemed to have all the extra's apart from the two I did not want which was the flashing speakers and the sunroof.The sound system is very good and I find the reverse camera exellent and I have no problems even at night using it.Idrive the car hard and apart from washing it I do not treat it with kidd gloves at all.The mpg with the diesel is a little lower than I would like but the way I drive it does not exactly help the mpg.I love the car as it seems to have that extra bit of flair but it's still a car which is a tool to be used.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think all this talk about paint shield is only detrimental to the value of the vehicle...and it should be sorted at the factory - not if North Korea get their way
I didn't buy a car only to cover it up in glorified cling film so it wouldn't get scratched - maybe you should all return your vehicles as "unfit for the purpose" and see what trading standards have to say. Maybe the new 2011 models are having an extra coat of paint, that is why there is a delay in getting them, For me, after 3k and two months, I can only find one chip, near the front nearside wheel arch.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I agree with you Foxy, I do not want to have to cover my car in cling film,it's a car for gawds sake. I only put on my car as extra's things that are useful for instance,items that add to the use of the car like the hands free kit.I think that if you need to wrap the car up then there is something very wrong,maybe it's the car,it could be some other factor ! My car is a march 2010 model not a new 2011and there is just the odd chip which is so hard to find it's not a problem becauseno car with 13.5k miles on it will be chip free. My car is a grey titianium metalic so it will show up and I can assure you that if after the winter with the gritting should it increase to what are unexceptable levels then Kia will do something about it,however as yet the question does not even arise.

·
Registered
111 Posts
trust me the last thing i wanted either was to have to resort to the measures i am having to in order to protect my vehicle ,from what ive read on the forums there are two types of kia owners those who are prepared to take preventitive measures in order to reduce the initial damage and those who are prepare to let the vehicle become damaged and then live in hope that kia will out of goodwill take in the car and respray where neccessary ,from what ive seen its not a done deal that this will happen. im perplexed however that its such a strange mixture of the haves (stone chips) and the have nots it must i think be down to the way the vehicle was sprayed initially at the kia plant as a good layer of paint would im sure fare better than the offering some souls have been given, but im sure also that there are those who just cant be arsed to bother to wash and thoroughly check over the cars exterior thus giving them in essence a chip free car!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I can assure you eggobako that the car gets washed and checked and the chips are not there apart from the odd very small ones ! Ithink that some of the carsmay not been paintedas they should have however there could be some other local issue that will effect the paint,I can see that covering it in cow muck for example would not exactly enhance the paint especially when new. My mate next door with the new BMW only had bird muck on his for less than two weeks when he went on holiday but its not come off,you can still see the mark on the paint. The water based paint is not very forgiving at all.
All my cars are worked hard and I can say that after driving over 2 million miles in my driving career if you don't look after the car it fails on you,to look after it is second nature, when did you check you tyre pressures,mine are checked twice a week as is all levels. When a vehicle is your livleyhood as mine have been in the past all aspects are looked after incuding the bodywork.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I keep my cars pristine. And have lived in the same location for 16 years now. However this is the first time i have had to resort to wrapping the car in film the keep it in the condition i require. Modern car paint is not as good as it was 5 or even 10 years ago. My Tempest was a particularly poor example (and unofficially i believe Kia recognise they have had issues with paint thickness/coverage/durability).... which has exasperated the issue with my car. If your car is relatively chip free and you will only be keeping it a couple of years - Great!!!. I intend to keep mine 8 to 10 years and it was chipped to hell inside the first 3 weeks of careful use. Admittedly i have gone totally overboard on the film protection coverage - but i now have a car that i can use with confidence (its minus 9 here and i can now chase gritters with a smile on my face!!!!!). And yes £1100 for the film protection is a big wodge of money - but peace of mind and enjoying using my car once again - its money well spent. My car had been relegated to almost a driveway ornament i was that paranoid about using it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im picking my MY11 up today (2.5 hours to go, yeah baby!), will have tokeepan eye on the paint work to see if they improved it with MY11.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well the big test is the gritty roads in winter.... good luck with the car - i will send you some pics when its less crispy.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The film patterns they took for my car are now available online for people to download.

you will need to go onto : ...paintshield.co.uk
Then
on the home page scroll down to the section which indicates a search for parts:
click into this and put in year: 2010, make : Kia
Model:
Soul submodel: Tempest and you will see the line diagrams of the parts now
available. Either you can right click and print the pictures off.

·
Registered
205 Posts
For those who maybe have not read all the paint problem topics, mine was so bad after the first couple of months, that Kia agreed to have the car resprayed. The paint was chipping on the bonnet, sills, door bottoms and rear wheel arches. Paint flaked off one rear door and it had quite a large rust mark on the roof. Yes I do look after any car I have as I have been a valeter  for quite a while. The car was resprayed in July and has covered 7000 miles since it was done. The finish is much better although a couple of chips appeared after a 1500 mile trip to Portugal recently. So if any Souls are lucky enough not to be chipped, good luck to you, it will save you a lot of argueing with Kia to get it rectified.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts