Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its the cheapest paint they do and is usually sold to car rental companies who frankly don't care what the paintwork is like as they get rid of the cars after 12-18 months. Also they'd sting the renter for respray/remedial costs more than likely.

I'd heard Motorpoint were having issues with Arctic White paintwork on "nearly new" ex-rental cars so I waited for a month or so until a different colour (Dark Penta) came up. Its very much a case of "fastest finger first" on petrol Ceed SWs which aren't Arctic White as they sell inside a day or two on Motorpoint.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What you bought in the past isn't "Arctic White" as used on MY 2019/2020/2021 Ceeds and as such you're comparing apples with oranges.

Its Kia's only zero-cost option on Ceed paintwork. The rest start at about £250 and go up to £500 or so IIRC. That's not solely "inconvenience cost" as they spray a certain percentage each optional colour anyway. Its better paint in most (but not all) cases.

Hence why the car rental companies buy Arctic White - its zero-cost. There's also an argument they like white because its a lot easier to inspect/rip off customers for "damage", but we digress.

Motorpoint take a large proportion of the ex-rentals and over the last couple of years its more likely you're buying something around 12 months old (if its petrol) rather than nearer 6 months. Over the last year its been way over 12 months on many, but how long they were sitting empty is anyone's guess.

None of that really has anything to do with the issue of defective Arctic White paintwork on MY19/20/21 Ceeds though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My money is on somebody employed by the dealership hit it with another car.

My first car came from a Ford dealership but wasn't a Ford. Long story short is speedo failed & they got a local dealership for that make to repair it. They did then someone hit it with a new car.

Its a LOT more common than people think.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That looks like its caused by contaminants on the panel prior to the first paint application - probably from the robot paint sprayer rather than anything else.

It happens - not a lot but it does happen, sometimes its as stupid as people handling a panel without gloves on immediately prior to painting. This has much the same effect as handling a halogen bulb with bare fingers - the bulb will fail much sooner than expected simply because of the residue left. Same with the paint job - it won't be properly bonded to the panel and this is the likely result. If that side of your car is normally in direct sun then that would accelerate the process greatly.

If it goes to court then its easy enough to confirm its the original paint which would preclude any sort of claim from Kia that the car had been in an accident - and was sprayed by Stevie Wonder/finished by Boycie ;)

After that then I don't see how it could be argued as anything other than a fault present at the point of sale/paint not fit for purpose.

The area around the headlight is more complex as you don't really know how the delaminating paint will react with air/water/whatever the headlight seal is made of.

The idea that those photos are due to an accident or accidental damage is risible.

It looks like all of the delamination is on one panel and nowhere else on the car?

If so then insist on a new panel, not a respray/whatever. Its the panel which is the failed component, not the paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.