Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced over revving of the 1.6 petrol Sportage. We have recently rejected our Sportage (MY 2011) due to excessive over revving of the engine without driver input most commonly displayed when either the clutch is depressed or reverse is selected. The symptom can sometimes be as gears are changed so when the clutch is depressed the engine revs rise to about 2000 rpm even when the engine is hot.

KIA have graciously accepted that they need to replace our current Sportage due to it being in the garage 3 times without the fault being fixed with the replacement expected in Apr.

The supplying dealer has loaned us a replacement until our car is delivered. However after using this car for some 350 miles the same symptom is now being displayed in this vehicle having not been displayed previously.

My question is is there anyone else out there with the same car that is displaying the same fault as I cannot believe that out of all of the 1.6 Sportages I have the only 2 in existence that have this fault.

Many thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 1.6 had it since december 2011 done almost 2k miles and had no problem like you discribe, i thought cars these days were drive by wire so must be electrically related unlike the old days of a cable sticking, sounds good that theyare replaceing your car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had the car since Sep 2011, noticed the same thing as you after a month, only contacted the dealer last month, been told Kia known about the issue and told me contact them again in 10 days to see if they have a solution, engine management update.I haven't done so yet.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Had a similar fault on a Punto and it turned out to be the ICV stepper motor. The car was under warranty at the time and they replaced the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) first but that didn't cure it a new ICV did tho'

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Nanjo keep on at them we have finally gotten somewhere.SPoke to Kia UK today and happy days we are getting a full refund. Amazingly Kia have told us that there is no known faults like this at all we are the only ones.But how unlucky are we if we happen to have the only 2 that do this. We have even started to question mine and my wife's driving ability. Madness.Hope your's gets sorted out for you. Like the Sportage but alas after 2 going wrong on us we have quitted and are going for another make altogether. Good luck Nanjo :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we took delivery of it on 18th oct 2011 and the fault started Nov 11. If you read a post on the forum titled Kia leave family stranded in Germany all the details are on that. Basically the technical team in Kia uK and Kia Germany put their heads together to resolve this and still couldn't so wev'e cut our loses. Just gotten of the phone to Kia UK and it is defo on for a full refund which is good. First they told us it was the battery under charged, then the software issue,then it was the receiver from the accelerator pedal was changed to no affect and lastly and most comicaly they swore blind it was a "spring or coil" under the clutch peddal???? And still no change but now like I said on my post the "demo" car we have been lent has also shown this problem. Embarrising when sat at traffic lights or reversing and the engine is over revving!!! Good luck in getting yours fixed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just got off the phone from dealer, told me still waiting from Kia for solution. But on mine when the engine over revv, tapping the pedal slightly an cure the problem, was yours?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exactly the same as in tapping the excelerator pedal cured it however sometimes it over revved whilst driving along. Funnily enough I asked Kia UK earlier whilst on the phone to them if any other cars have displayed this fault and he said only 1 and that was when they first came out. But whilst this is happening to the enginge is it doing any other damage over time to parts as in wearing down quicker. It's brilll they have the 7yr warrenty which attracted us along with the look and obviously the price tag but being in Germany my faith in having need any other warrenty work doing to the vechile has gone.
Ours is soon to be was a 16 GDI 2 blue

·
Registered
55 Posts
@ Pirespt:

Al512 said:
... over revving of the engine without driver input most commonly displayed when either the clutch is depressed or reverse is selected. The symptom can sometimes be as gears are changed so when the clutch is depressed the engine revs rise to about 2000 rpm even when the engine is hot....

/QUOTE]

Edited by: nanjo

·
Registered
55 Posts
took it to the dealer onTuesdayfor investigation, been told it was a faulty accelerator pedal sensor, will take it back next week for replacement.I'll update the result.

·
Registered
55 Posts
had the
accelerator pedal sensor replaced 2 days ago, done 20 miles looks promising , will update again when it reach 500 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We had ours replaced and unfortunately never worked.We have now rejected the car and after a lot of work we have received our money back

·
Registered
4 Posts
2 wk old 1.6 GDi, majority of driving the vehicle has been the wife, told me about the car revving high when coming to a halt/idle after reversing etc.. I have now witnessed this yesterday whilst driving, i manage to get the vehicle idling properly by leaning down and slightly pulling the accelerator pedal back to it's supposed neutral position. "This solved the problem" going to the garage today to inform them of the fault! I see someone mentioned earlier in a reply about return spring or something, looks like this could be the case! Other than that we think the car is Brill! Will post the outcome later.

·
Registered
55 Posts
KiBHOYKia said:
..... i manage to get the vehicle idling properly by leaning down and slightly pulling the accelerator pedal back to it's supposed neutral position. "This solved the problem" .... Other than that we think the car is Brill! Will post the outcome later.

same here. may be there were a patch of faulty pedal sensors? after replacement of the pedal sensor (80 miles so far), engine revv seems behave normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After visit to the garage today, Service Manager has ordered a new throttle pedal. I also mentioned that the stop/go technology was working intermittently i assume that the high rpm when idling was too high for the the stop/go to kick in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We had our throttle pedal and sensor replaced and for a wee while was great then back to over revving. But do agree they are nice cars shame about the fault have now bought another make of car our stop/go on the loan Sportage never worked?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Throttle pedal replaced today, this was what I was told was to be changed no mention of a sensor. What a difference on the journey back home, feels like a completely different car. Just hope it stays in this condition and the fault does not happen again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts