Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would introduce myself, We bought the auto car magazine in august and read a very glowing report on the new sportage and after a couple of weeks we got round to having a test drive.

We only test drove the car for a short drive and were both smitten, it was the First edition techno orange, never had a kia and never thought we would consider buying one! I know it sounds snobby but it`s a car we never noticed on the road, just an A to B car.

But this one had us hooked, it looked so fresh and ................. well not kia Sorry to other kia owners but when I walk towards my new car I want to feel wow and this one did the wow bit, but looks are no good if it drive`s poor (been there got the T shirt with last car) After opening the door and sitting in the drivers seat it all looked very well put together nice dash and simple layout. turning the key to start the engine I was impressed by how smooth and quiet the engine was and after only a short drive we both felt we were driving something special so solid and well put together, it absorbed the pot holes with no fuss or rattles and even at low speeds had ton`s of torque, Sold to the man with the big grin on his face !!!!!!!

Then came the Sorry sir bit "there all sold" But if you want to place an order for the kx3 its only £3500 more and you get navi and a sunroof, and after ringing every kia dealer in the uk........well you know the story! Then out of the blue we were told they had one coming in silver and it was unsold. And 3 weeks later ............................................

She arrived
and after 1000 miles I have to say it`s the best car we have ever had, drove it to scotland last week and covered 600 miles in atrocious weather but we felt so comfortable and at ease the engine even so young has so much low down pull and keeps pulling as you travel through the gears, it also holds the road very well and is fun to drive on the twisty bits. the heater blows warm air before the car has reached normal running temp all round heated seats are so cool or should I say hot and very comfy, and even the glass under the wiper blades gets warm for those frosty mornings. And if you like your tunes the USB / I Pod / streaming all works with plenty of bass if you like it loud. Phone is voice activated but in this car actually works! Reverse camera and sensors are spot on.

There are a few things we have found odd but can live with, the boot light is very dim and there are no lights in the trip ,locking, folding, mirrors and interior light buttons so at night you have to have a good aim. oh and the horn only use it if you are 10 miles from civilisation as it sounds like a mating call from a Bavarian fruit bat, MPG figures are a bit on the optimistic side and gears when cold are a bit stiff.

But all in all It`s a very nice car to drive and own, had lots of people saying what a nice car it is and oh and what is it? I now reply very proudly it`s a KIA

Never thought I would say that a year ago!!!!!!!!

Edited by: kia$torm

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice, had mine since end september. Done 1500miles and loving it. Same colour as yours silver.

I too wouldnt of step foot in a kia showroom until the sportage. The Sorento style wise is good , but the sportage is way ahead. Its miles from the rest of the kia range in looks and style. The others all seem good enough but this is a serious step ahead.

Slim

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine is silver too - 2000 miles down the road and really pleased with it.

Small niggles that I can live with :-

The boot light is in a side panel and is obscured when carrying a load.

The boot light is too dim.

The boot "handle" is situated inside and makes closing the boot difficult - an exterior handle in addition mayhelp.

The offside rear passenger seat belt needs to be rerouted as it obscures the view through what is already a small rear window - (so did the advertising stickers)

All said a fantastic piece of engineering with a great spec.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well I too have to totally agree with everyone. I have been a committed Land rover owner for years but fuel consumption and road tax on my Discovery finally broke me.
I would never have considered a Kia but when I saw the Sportage I fell for it. Maybe a little foolish - but when I received a call from the local dealer telling me that they would have the first one in the showroom that afternoon my wife and I were there within 30minutes. Just as well really because we were the second people to see it an after sitting in it and 'playing around' we were told that it had already been sold to the first people to see it and it was being taken off display.
The dealer had been allocated just 4 of the first edition models and this was the first one they had received - they were still waiting for their demonstrator so there was not even a chance of a test drive.
There was already a queue forming to see it so we decided to order one there and then and were told that we would be allocated the next one to arrive. No colour choice, no test drive or anything, but we liked it! Fortunately we got a Sirius Silver one as I didn't really fancy the orange or black variety.
Anyway - a good decision (never thought I'd buy a car without a test drive) and after 1500miles I am still impressed with it and still looking for excuses to drive it. My wife drives it most of the time and she loves it too.
So well done Kia. Cracking car.

Edited by: Griffo

·
Registered
433 Posts
I was very lucky my dealer had a clyde blue one arrive when i was there, anyway I left a deposit on it but I wasn't sure about the colour, so I took a chance and cancelled it and put an order in for a sirius silver having only seen the colour on a ceed at the dealers, When it finaly came it looked stunning and I was very pleased with it and picked it up 29 september. With the trouble people have had getting one I had 2 to pick from (very lucky) I feel very sorry fo the others guys though

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was lucky also when I replied to KIA Viking in Southampton on this forum telling us they had just picked up a FE Diesel in silver.I would have liked the Sirius silvergiven a choice but storm silver is still a safe bet and I didn't want to pay the extra VAT and more besides next year for a similar spec Sportage. We've (wifey drives it most of the time) just topped the 1000 mile mark. I took it easy for the first 1000 not that you really need to run motors in these days. Returning an easy 42mpg doing 75mph on the motorway. Now I give it more gusto on acceleration and I'm really impressed with the torque especially accelerating from 50mph+ (overtaking speed). I've had a Mazda323, 6, and most recently a 5. (not great comparisons granted) and the drive/ride on the KIA is way ahead. I took my brother in-law out yesterday to show off a little and took the car up a slippery muddy incline and then on an ungraded 2 mile track. Slippery mud""¦.. What slippery mud! What fun.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice to know the 4x4 bit works, think we have all been very lucky to bag FE when there are so many people waiting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts