Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be test driving an Optima in the morning and I'm really excited about it. I know they've only just come out here in UK so has anyone out there got one yet and what is everyones opinion on this superb looking motor? I currently own a Sportage 2litre Special edition and am very happy with it (18 months old) but was smitten when I saw the Optima. Will post again following my test drive tomorrow-I'll have it just for the day.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey buddy, I have purchased a optima 2 luxe just waiting for it to be delivered from the holding depo in imingham,

I will be picking mine up on the 3rd march (think I will be the first person in the north east to take delivery of one), I have posted some piks of the one I test drove in this section (I am getting exactly the same one to be honest)

Can't wait to get driving it, think you will be pleasantly surprised on your test drive, let us all know how you got on

Alex

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Alex, Just drove back home (15miles) from the Dealership in a white optima luxe version. WOW what a car-I can see why Kia cannot or are having diffs keeping up with the demand on this machine.

Now, I have saturated my brain with reading reviews and watching videos re this car online-some negative but most positive but I can honestly say you have to see this thing in the flesh so to speak and experience the drive for yourself to really appreciate this car. I do not know how reviewers can say anything negative about it. It handles well although its a wee bit firm but not so its uncomfortable or anything. I'm probably gonna get the "Tech" version to get the Infinity sound system and this version comes with 17" alloys rather than the 18" so ride will be less firm.
I was a little perturbed when I stopped at lights and the engine cut out even though I was warned this was part of the "eco-dynamic" system-but as soon as I depressed the clutch away she went.

I was also a little disappointed (initially) with only one engine as I drive the Sportage with a 2 litre engine BUT was pleasantly surprised at just how quick, QUIET and generally good it felt.
Wife doesn't know I'm test driving this today so when she arrives thru the door later she'll wonder who's is the fancy car outside.
The fuel economy appears surprisingly good also-if the "trip" is true, I managed 52mpg on my journey home from the dealership just now-the Sportage is heavy on fuel and did not live up to Kia's claims of 47mpg-the most I got was 39mpg.
The inside of this car is plush which tells me not to pay too much notice to reviews-I recently test drove a new Audi A5 Sportback and I can tell you there wasn't much difference re inside etc-of course the engine was more powerful and the bhp was good but then there's always remapping if thats what you want.
It looks like I'm gonna change BUT will I be able to get the trim I want and how long will I have to wait given the current HUGE demand for Kias -will let you know. Also I'll let you know what the motorway drive was like as set to try that later.
Enjoy your new car Alex-what colour did you go for? That will be the next difficult choice-I usually go for black but not sure how black looks on the optima. Regards Johnathan

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm really glad you liked it, I have gone for black, it's the exact same one I have loaded pictures on in the other thread I made in the optima section apart from mine has 00miles on the clock.

I went for the lux as I'm 26 it looks sportier than the tech but drive comfort has been said better on the 17"s on the tech pack so ideal for you.

I was getting 48mpg around town when I drove mine and that is very good fuel consumption (using the instant mpg features on the LCD screen)

My car has arrived at the garage today, so I will be picking it up next wed/thurs of next week, when I do I will do a detailed review and take loads of piks and upload them for all to see,

Only thing you have to do now johnathan is persuade the wife to let you get one ha ha.

Ps this is my first ever black car

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had a test drive yesterday and i have to agree with you guys its a great car its even got me thinking about changing the sportage, but its going to be very hard to part with it. really the thing thats holding me back at the mo is the noseweight/towball weightlimit for towing my caravan which @60kg i find a bit low, I don't think the engine power will be a problem as it has the same bhp as the sportage but develops max torque a couple of hundred revs higher i think , anyway the onei drove was the 2 tech which if i went for one is what i would go for, i think the price diff for the 3 spec is a bit too much.
Good luck with yours alex, i look forward to the pics and your reports on it.by the way i took it for about 20 miles and the mpg was reading between 49 and 50.3 on a mix of roads, i didn't reset it as it was the managers car from the dealership but it had covered 2500miles since new so i dont know if it had ever been reset or not

Edited by: kiaman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts