Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My satnav stopped working today in my 2017 GT Line S. I thought it was strange as I was stuck in a traffic jam trying to get over the Humber Bridge for nearly half an hour and my destination time wasn't changing 馃憖

It was completely stuck and I was pressing all the buttons, switching it on and off, tried pressing settings but still it was stuck then all of a sudden it worked for about 30 seconds then stuck again.

On the way home we tried it again and all it says now is navigation not available check SD Card. Now I have never touched the SD card so any ideas anyone? Also would it be covered under warranty?

Thanks

Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
Sounds like for some reason it's not reading the SD card. I would buy a new card and update the maps from the Kia update site.
Won't be a warranty repair as media units are only covered for 3 years.

Registered
[QUOTE="ooorya, post: 450557, member: 29132"
How do I change the thread title
I have never touched the SD card so any ideas anyone? Also would it be covered under warranty?
Your thread title is perfect.

While agreeing entirely with 'Faltwen's response in post #4, if it were me, having several fast SD cards, I would do two things:

First, I would remove the SD card and inspect it, wipe the contacts and replace. That will probably make no difference so I would then turn off the fuse switch in the centre of the interior fuse box for twenty minutes - don't lock the car - then turn it on again. (some strange things seem to cure themselves by that action - just like unplugging a 1980s Sky box from the power socket for 10 or 15 minutes - if no change, at that point, I would remove the SD card and copy the existing files to a folder on my computer then transfer those files to another SD card. Reinsert to the infotainment unit and see if it has sorted the problem.

That will take very little time and if (1) the problem has not corrected itself or (2) you don't have a spare, suitable SD card, then 'Faltwen's procedure must kick in.

There is no need to format the SD card as the procedure that 'Faltwen' has linked to will do all that automatically. Should the fault still persist and you have followed the instructions for the update to the letter, then you may be looking at something more expensive (possibly a replacement infotainment unit or simply use a navigation app from your phone.)

That said, have you tried using a phone app, hooked up to ACP or AA, as the case may be? I'd be interested to know if the same problem exists using another navigation app.

Good luck with it.

Reactions: Faltwen and ooorya

Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
[QUOTE="ooorya, post: 450557, member: 29132"

Your thread title is perfect.

While agreeing entirely with 'Faltwen's response in post #4, if it were me, having several fast SD cards, I would do two things:

First, I would remove the SD card and inspect it, wipe the contacts and replace. That will probably make no difference so I would then turn off the fuse switch in the centre of the interior fuse box for twenty minutes - don't lock the car - then turn it on again. (some strange things seem to cure themselves by that action - just like unplugging a 1980s Sky box from the power socket for 10 or 15 minutes - if no change, at that point, I would remove the SD card and copy the existing files to a folder on my computer then transfer those files to another SD card. Reinsert to the infotainment unit and see if it has sorted the problem.

That will take very little time and if (1) the problem has not corrected itself or (2) you don't have a spare, suitable SD card, then 'Faltwen's procedure must kick in.

There is no need to format the SD card as the procedure that 'Faltwen' has linked to will do all that automatically. Should the fault still persist and you have followed the instructions for the update to the letter, then you may be looking at something more expensive (possibly a replacement infotainment unit or simply use a navigation app from your phone.)

That said, have you tried using a phone app, hooked up to ACP or AA, as the case may be? I'd be interested to know if the same problem exists using another navigation app.

Good luck with it.
Have you tried the "reset" trick?
There is a reset button inside a teenyweeny hole, usually close to the volume control. Use a biro or a pin to press inside this hole and the head unit will be reset. You won't lose any settings you may have changed. This is the quickest fix (if it works). This may well sort the problem, otherwise try the other remedies offered here.
Good luck!

Reactions: ooorya

Registered
There is a reset button inside a teenyweeny hole, usually close to the volume control.
I have read of this previously but unless my eyesight is worse that I think it is, such an orifice is absent on my car......I'm actually going out to the car now with my specs to examine the area and shall return to apologise if I'm wrong.:rolleyes::geek:

Been there; done that! I can now confirm that no such pinhole or, indeed, any kind of access port exists on or around the volume control or anywhere else on the central console. I was pretty sure that was the case as I remember looking for one on a previous occasion although the information about it was from a different model sub-forum. Hey-ho!

Reactions: ooorya

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Just taken out the SD card and then put it straight back in and bingo it seems to be working, at least it knows where I am :)

As regards trying another navigation app, google maps seemed to work fine whilst the Optima's satnav was stuck, but it is a bit annoying with the two banners, one green showing the destination and one white showing the mileage and time and also buttons such as settings taking up quite a large amount of the screen.

I will update if the problem arises on my next trip.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried the "reset" trick?
There is a reset button inside a teenyweeny hole, usually close to the volume control. Use a biro or a pin to press inside this hole and the head unit will be reset. You won't lose any settings you may have changed. This is the quickest fix (if it works). This may well sort the problem, otherwise try the other remedies offered here.
Good luck!
There looks like a very small button next to the actual SD card, but I haven't dared pressing it 馃槺

Registered
I happened to check that area this very morning while parked up in my local hospital car park and saw the said button. I had actually noticed it before, a long time ago, but never had any reason to perform a reset, presuming that that is its purpose, so had forgotten all about its existence.

Clearly, this is a variation on a theme as other models seem to have a pinhole requiring a......pin:rolleyes:....to perform a reset.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I happened to check that area this very morning while parked up in my local hospital car park and saw the said button. I had actually noticed it before, a long time ago, but never had any reason to perform a reset, presuming that that is its purpose, so had forgotten all about its existence.

Clearly, this is a variation on a theme as other models seem to have a pinhole requiring a......pin:rolleyes:....to perform a reset.
So who's going to be the first to press it馃檪

I suppose it's far too small to send the wife out through the sunroof馃槆

1 - 12 of 12 Posts