Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone enlighten me on oil change requirements please?

I'm on 10,000 mile service intervals with Kia 3 year plan so first service either 10,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes sooner.

I'm pretty sure my service will fall due on or around the 12 month mark which will coincide with 10,000 miles being achieved. What I am having difficulty with is the requirement for an oil change to be carried out at 13,000 miles. Is this another dealer visit to arrange or will they carry it out at the first service interval (and charge extra)?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Can anyone enlighten me on oil change requirements please?

I'm on 10,000 mile service intervals with Kia 3 year plan so first service either 10,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes sooner.

I'm pretty sure my service will fall due on or around the 12 month mark which will coincide with 10,000 miles being achieved. What I am having difficulty with is the requirement for an oil change to be carried out at 13,000 miles. Is this another dealer visit to arrange or will they carry it out at the first service interval (and charge extra)?

'Tommo21', perhaps I'm just being thick here but I can't understand your dilemma.

The servicing schedule for your model is contained within the handbook that accompanied the car from the manufacturing plant. Yours may differ from mine, a Q4 2016 model, but my handbook for the 1.7 litre TD, states that servicing is required at 12months or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.

At the point of sale, I opted to have the 5-year care plan which covers the first 5 services, (£609 @ Nov 2016), and as I'm a low-mileage user these days, it's simply one service each year from the date of purchase.

I apologise if I'm missing something here but I'm presuming that yous is a 1.6 diesel which may have a different schedule?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Indalo. Thanks for your response.

My handbook specifically refers to a 10,000 mile service interval and yes my model is the 1.6 diesel.

So it goes in for a 10,000 first service, and then 3,000 miles later it requires an oil change.

That is my dilemma and just wondering if they will actually do the oil change 3,000 miles "early" (and charge over and above the service plan cost which does not cover an oil change for first service) to save making another appointment several months later.

Not sure why the 1.7 and 1.6 diesels should be on different service schedules

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kme/uk/en/assets/static/owners/service-maintenance/7.2 Kia Service Intervals V18.10.pdf
Optima / Optima
sportswagon
2017 onwards Petrol Plug-in Hybrid 10,000 / 12
2012 onwards Diesel 20,000 / 12

Where does the 13K miles oil change come from? As that seems a very random figure?
In the Maintenance Section 8 - For Diesel Engine (For Europe except Russia).

The task related to Engine oil has 2 * numbered 4 and 5. If you follow this link, cross reference 5 indicates the recommendation that engine oil and filter are changed every 20,000 KM (13,000 miles) or 12 months. The frequency for "severe usage conditions is 10,000 mile or 12 months.

Seems a bit bizarre to me

·
Registered
219 Posts
Surely your 12 month service will coincide with the need to change oil using the or 12 month clause and thus ignoring the 13,000 miles element in the schedule?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Surely your 12 month service will coincide with the need to change oil using the or 12 month clause and thus ignoring the 13,000 miles element in the schedule?
Yes, thanks oldhenry, that seems to be the case although it is at odds with the Kia website service plan version 18.10 which definitely indicates 20,000 miles for this diesel model. Maybe the website hasn't been updated?

It seems to beg the question I think that as it appears not to be included in the Kia car care service plan, I will be charged for the oil.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you have a Kia 3 year plan, then surely whatever that includes should cover the entire servicing requirements over three years for the car provided your mileage is within the normal usage range (i.e 10000 miles per annum) which it appears yours will be. Does the plan not cover three services, at 10000, 20000 and 30000 miles (1, 2 and 3 years)?

You mention the maintenance section 8 - is this in the owners manual or in the service record booklet?

If there appears to be a discrepancy between the plan and the manual and/or service record booklet then perhaps you need to seek clarity from your dealer or from Kia Customer Services?

One of the problems encountered nowadays is that manufacturers want to provide only a single manual covering all models in a range of countries which makes reading them less than straightforward. Kia are not alone in this.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a Kia 3 year plan, then surely whatever that includes should cover the entire servicing requirements over three years for the car provided your mileage is within the normal usage range (i.e 10000 miles per annum) which it appears yours will be. Does the plan not cover three services, at 10000, 20000 and 30000 miles (1, 2 and 3 years)?

You mention the maintenance section 8 - is this in the owners manual or in the service record booklet?

If there appears to be a discrepancy between the plan and the manual and/or service record booklet then perhaps you need to seek clarity from your dealer or from Kia Customer Services?

One of the problems encountered nowadays is that manufacturers want to provide only a single manual covering all models in a range of countries which makes reading them less than straightforward. Kia are not alone in this.
The section 8 I refer to is in the owners manual. Funnily enough though, the service record refers to 12 months or 20,000 miles

Nowhere can I find a task list for each service.

As you say, I think Kia Customer Services need to clarify!

·
Registered
205 Posts
In the Maintenance Section 8 - For Diesel Engine (For Europe except Russia).

The task related to Engine oil has 2 * numbered 4 and 5. If you follow this link, cross reference 5 indicates the recommendation that engine oil and filter are changed every 20,000 KM (13,000 miles) or 12 months. The frequency for "severe usage conditions is 10,000 mile or 12 months.

Seems a bit bizarre to me
Another thought - does the text actually say "20,000KM (13,000miles)" or have you inserted the 13000 miles as your conversion whereas the text is misprinted and it should say "20000 miles"?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thought - does the text actually say "20,000KM (13,000miles)" or have you inserted the 13000 miles as your conversion whereas the text is misprinted and it should say "20000 miles"?
It actually says 13,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The section 8 I refer to is in the owners manual. Funnily enough though, the service record refers to 12 months or 20,000 miles

Nowhere can I find a task list for each service.

As you say, I think Kia Customer Services need to clarify!
Clearly 'Tommo21', I wasn't the only one who had a difficulty with your first post in this thread. Having said that, you are right to seek clarification from KCS or from the selling dealer as it is of the utmost importance that both you and your dealer, whichever one you select to perform your servicing, are singing from the same song sheet.

I would be surprised if the 1.6TD had a different schedule to that which applies to the 1.7TD but you need to hear it from the horse's mouth.

If your mileage is in the region of 10,000 miles, you should expect a basic service which involves a fairly comprehensive inspection without any fluids being changed.

Your engine oil & filter plus brake fluid, fuel filter and cabin filter will be changed at the second service which will probably see your mileage in the 20,000 mile ballpark area. If, however, your circumstances change and you think you will rack up miles at a far greater rate than you have thus far, then the mileage criterion would come into play, ie, 2nd service at 20,000 miles.

The cheap/expensive rotational servicing will continue for the duration of the 7-year warranty period.

I hope you are enjoying the car with the new, smaller engine. I haven't tried one but may do in the future.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clearly 'Tommo21', I wasn't the only one who had a difficulty with your first post in this thread. Having said that, you are right to seek clarification from KCS or from the selling dealer as it is of the utmost importance that both you and your dealer, whichever one you select to perform your servicing, are singing from the same song sheet.

I would be surprised if the 1.6TD had a different schedule to that which applies to the 1.7TD but you need to hear it from the horse's mouth.

If your mileage is in the region of 10,000 miles, you should expect a basic service which involves a fairly comprehensive inspection without any fluids being changed.

Your engine oil & filter plus brake fluid, fuel filter and cabin filter will be changed at the second service which will probably see your mileage in the 20,000 mile ballpark area. If, however, your circumstances change and you think you will rack up miles at a far greater rate than you have thus far, then the mileage criterion would come into play, ie, 2nd service at 20,000 miles.

The cheap/expensive rotational servicing will continue for the duration of the 7-year warranty period.

I hope you are enjoying the car with the new, smaller engine. I haven't tried one but may do in the future.
Absolutely loving this car!!

Had reservations about the "small" 1.6 engine, but I can confirm that it sails up through the speed range in no time, and if it were legal, it would cruise comfortably at 90 m.p.h with little noise. The latter statement is of course only an opinion and not based on experience driving on public roads! I can also confirm that the sport mode is a genuine feature which my eldest son demonstrated with great gusto despite my wife's remonstrations!

The car has a quality feel, infinite bells and whistles and gives you a sense of assurance whether driving on motorways or country roads with decent handling and excellent brakes. I think my favourite features are the panorama sun roof and adaptive cruise control.

It was a big move for me coming to Kia and I have seen no reason so far to regret this choice.

I know I've strayed off topic here, but I would confirm that I have just sent an email to Kia Customer Services asking for clarification on service interval/oil change frequency and service plan task list. Will post back on this thread when I receive a response

1 - 13 of 13 Posts