Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been reported that the Optima may be dropped in the UK.

Midsize cars are in danger of losing the little ground they have left to crossovers and SUVs. Kia is seeing the writing on the wall and has apparently decided to drop the Optima from its UK family altogether.

The company’s local website still lists the Optima, albeit in the Sportswagon body style only, with five trim levels to choose from, whose pricing ranges between £23,455 and £33,740 ($29,984-$43,131 /€27,135-€39,033) on-the-road.

Quoting a Kia UK spokesperson, Autocar says that the midsize estate will be phased out in the near future too.

The next generation Optima, which is due next year, might not launch in Great Britain either, as making the new engines meet the stricter emissions regulations is not feasible. According to CarSalesBase, only 14,404 units of the Optima were sold in Europe last year, compared to the 101,603 delivered in the United States. The rivalling Euro-spec Volkswagen Passat did a lot better, with 154,074 examples shipped in 2018.

·
Registered
553 Posts
This is terrible news. I'm gutted. This size and class of car is the only one I'll consider, given my needs and requirements (6ft 7 tall, wife and child) - I don't want a Sportage - worse running costs, smaller and lower quality interior, nor do I want a Sorento, too big, heavy and thirsty, and the Cee'd/Pro Cee'd/XCee'd doesn't cut the mustard either as that's too small (especially in the back) with the same downgrade in interior as the Sportage. There will only be the Stinger that appeals to my needs if the Optima is dropped and that comes with stupid 10k service intervals. It seems to me that the lack of decent fuel efficient engines is coming back to bite Kia here. Other manufacturers manage to cater for wider audiences, offering mid size cars with a range of engines and power outputs, even the likes of Mazda manages to offer the 6 with a choice of petrol and Diesel engines in 2 power outputs each, so do Alfa with the Giulia.

In this age of crossovers, 4x4 coupes, cars for every niche it seems like Kia is going backwards and offering less choice than ever. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
In this age of crossovers, 4x4 coupes, cars for every niche it seems like Kia is going backwards and offering less choice than ever.
Well, if I'm still around and want to change my car in 2 or 3 years, I guess I'll have to look to Germany or Sweden for a large estate car. Now that Toyota has dropped the Avensis model, there is only the Mazda 6 and the very Juicy Subaru Outback, petrol only these days, in the way of big estates coming out of Japan.

There are lots of small/medium sized estate models around but I like the size and style of the Optima so I'd be looking to replace it with something of similar dimensions.

I will miss the DCT from Hyundai/KIA but I'd be equally happy with a modern torque converter transmission. Of course, the market may change considerably over the next 3 years and electrical range may be more viable than at present. I just wish that I liked the style of the Niro more than I do but it does tick many boxes, as do the Honda CRV and the Toyota RAV4 which are decent for space and I quite like CVT boxes. All of those are very definitely SUV and I don't like being part of the herd. One thing's for sure, whatever I may buy, it won't be white!

·
Registered
42 Posts
This come with no surprise. Also recently a KIA executive said it is not decided if there would be second generation of Singer too as "even for halo products, still needs to make business sense". None of these two cars sells well in Europe.

Kia had no time to get established in the "executive saloon" market to properly challenge the old players as things are rapidly changing with SUV trends and electric cars for the masses coming very soon.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I can see me buying a 3/4 year old Stinger in 2.2 form at this rate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Love my Optima SW and the new version looks great. I did consider the Sportage/Tuscon/Quasqai options but the boots were too small - a pram would fit in and nothing else.. The Optima SW swallows it up.

Having said that now DD2 is out of a pram, I probably wouldn't need anything as large in the boot department again. The rear (and all round for that matter) leg room will still be essential though and again the Optima is excellent in that department.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Optima is excellent in that department.
Indeed it is, 'gk141054' and I agree with your other point about luggage space. Of course, you're preaching to the converted in this forum but that's ok.

Only if I were being very picky, could I find any things that I don't like about my Optima. Excellent estate car and a nice drive!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts