Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima Sportswagon PHEV Plus
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Optima Estate/Sportswagon car has one fitted, but I'm having trouble removing it. I cannot find a release catch anywhere, and it really needs to be removable in order to get maximum flexibility of the cargo space when the rear seats are folded. Any clues how to do this please? Many thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
0Sure. I was using Kia's words, but its the unit that sits behind the rear seats that houses a retractable cover that slides across the cargo area as far as the tailgate - it hides the contents from prying eyes. Hope this clarifies. In every other car I've owned that has this cover, the housing unit is removed by pressing a button either on one end or both ends of the unit, but I can find no means to release the unit in the Optima

·
Registered
162 Posts
In my Sorento both ends can be pulled inwards to release them. There is no button, just the act of relieving pressure on the internal springs by pulling/pushing each end towards the centre.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Any clues how to do this please?
Hi 'John AC' and welcome to the forum.

The square section tube into which the roller blind retracts is spring loaded at the ends. As it can be a little stiff to remove, I find it easiest to retract the blind into the housing then kneel on the tailgate floor and using one hand, pull the housing from one end a little and bump the underside of the tube upwards. As soon as one end is released, the other end is easily slid out.

To replace the whole assembly, just enter one end into its position and lower the other to just above the locating site then push in the end piece and press down to locate it.

It isn't the best arrangement but it works well enough once you have done it once or twice.

You may or may not be aware but I will mention it anyway; the whole assembly can be located out of sight under the floor as there is a pre-formed channel into which it seats nicely. If I remember correctly, in addition to folding back the floor for access, I think the little removable covers on each side of the main compartment have to be popped out to facilitate the ends of the blind housing.

Reactions: Tommo21

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi 'John AC' and welcome to the forum.

The square section tube into which the roller blind retracts is spring loaded at the ends. As it can be a little stiff to remove, I find it easiest to retract the blind into the housing then kneel on the tailgate floor and using one hand, pull the housing from one end a little and bump the underside of the tube upwards. As soon as one end is released, the other end is easily slid out.

To replace the whole assembly, just enter one end into its position and lower the other to just above the locating site then push in the end piece and press down to locate it.

It isn't the best arrangement but it works well enough once you have done it once or twice.

You may or may not be aware but I will mention it anyway; the whole assembly can be located out of sight under the floor as there is a pre-formed channel into which it seats nicely. If I remember correctly, in addition to folding back the floor for access, I think the little removable covers on each side of the main compartment have to be popped out to facilitate the ends of the blind housing.
Thanks for all the info. I finally managed to release the driver side end of the tube!

Unfortunately, if there was a storage channel under the floor of the boot area, that's been filled, as has the rest of the under storage, by the high voltage battery. Sadly gaining the advantage of a plug-in's 35 miles of electric motoring has meant that this storage is now lost. One of the minor negatives of this model is the very limited small storage areas now available in such a large car. That said, I've invested in a couple of velcro-secured fabric storage bins for the boot area that are doing the job well enough.

My only other niggle, and one that must be said of virtually all cars now, the absence of any type of spare wheel is a clear disadvantage. Having suffered a puncture in my last car with 500 miles left to drive across France on a 50 mph spare, the rest of the journey was not fun. I invested afterwards in a full size wheel that I took on long journeys. At least the 50 mph spare lasted the distance whereas the foam kit provided here wouldn't stand a chance. So I may go for a full size spare wheel again, even though that will entail also adding a jack and wheel brace..

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I may go for a full size spare wheel again, even though that will entail also adding a jack and wheel brace.
What a shame! I sold an unused OE Type B wheel, replete with an unused OE Michelin tyre a few months ago for about half price. I would have sold the KIA jacking kit too but I couldn't remember which packing box it was in as all my worldly possessions have been boxed up in storage for the last year, pending a house move which has twice failed to come to fruition.

I hadn't reckoned on that battery when I mentioned the storage channel for the retractable blind housing but it's no big deal really as it isn't something that's likely to be used very often.

With regard to the full-sized spare wheel, I can't attest to the veracity of this but I have been told that it is possible to unplug the connections to the HK sub-woofer and remove the whole thing to facilitate the spare wheel being placed in the wheel well and then inserting the sub-woofer in the belly of the wheel and re-attaching the connections. Having said that, tyre technology is moving along and run-flat tyres will be finessed to improve ride and handling in the future but cellular, non-pneumatic tyres are nearing the production stage, I have read, and that may be the way ahead as we move towards a carbon-emission-free future?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.