Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI FROM A NEWCOMER. I AM ABOUT TO PURCHASE A SMALL CAR FOR DAY TO DAY USE WITH OCCASIONAL LONGER TRIPS, (1500 MILE TRIPS). AT PRESENT AND FOR MANY YEARS HAVE OWNED AND DRIVEN MOTOR CARAVANS ALL OVER EUROPE. I LIVE IN SPAIN AT PRESENT, BUT ENGLISH BY BIRTH AND LANGUAGE.
I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING BOTH KIA RIO AND HYUNDAI GETZ MODELS. CHOICE WOULD BE 1.6 DIESEL MANUAL, WITH MOST OF THE OPTIONAL EXTRAS. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE OWNERS, DRIVERS, EX-OWNERS, MECHANICS IMPRESSIONS AND VIEWS OF EITHER OF THESE MODELS. WHAT IF ANY DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE TWO. ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS ?. IS THE WARRANTY AS GOOD AS ADVERTISED ?
I NOTICE SOME COMMENTS ABOUT FUEL CONSUMPTION NOT BEING AS GOOD AS EXPECTED, WHAT CAN I GENUINELY EXPECT TO GET. I DRIVE REASONABLY CAREFULLY, I GET 29 MPG, OVER LAST 5 YEARS, FROM MY 2.8 TURBO FIAT CAMPER VAN.
LEANINGS ARE TOWARDS KIA AT MOMENT, HERE IN SPAIN HYUNDAI HAVE 3 YEAR WARRANTY, KIA 5 YEARS AND KIA COST LESS TO BUY INITIALLY. BUT I AM REALLY LOOKING FOR RELIABILITY AND COMFORT. THANKYOU . BRIAN W.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I traded my Rio in for a C'eed after 28k miles of trouble free motoring. The diesel model is a must, petrols are down on power and can be thirsty. The 1.5 diesel unit is superior in many respects to the newer 1.6 unit I now have in the Cee'd.

Even when driven hard my MPG never fell below 45, when driven more sensibly 50+ is possible. The Rio is due to be replaced in 2010 so huge discounts are there for the haggling. In my opinion the Rio would be a much better prospect than the Getz,

Hope this is of some help, happy motoring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts