Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
As an owner now for 18 months of a gen1 (2010 -2015) 1.6 petrol auto as a car that can lug 4 adults and a fair bit of luggage in comfort it does it really well. Remember that a Venga is an MPV not an SUV (although MPV's are dying out with the SUV trend being favoured)
We particularly like the wide opening doors, the slidable rear seats, moveable load deck and on the pre-2015 the fact it hasn't got one of these touchscreen interfaces (that almost certainly won't last reliably past when it gets to 10 or older)
We have the 4 speed auto and don't like so much the abysmal mpg around town (around 23mpg). Although it will do 40mpg + on a run at 60mph to 65mpph. The 6 speed auto came in on the facelift(2015 onwards) and is a little better apparently.
Chain cam engine so if you keep up with oil changes no belt to worry about and easily capable of 100K miles and higher. 1.6 Engines are of the Gamma range and while a little old in design are perfectly serviceable if maintained with no inherent faults beyond sounding a bit "Ticky" due to the injector rail (and to be honest, many cars have this jnjector rail noise) and a bit "roarty" when driven hard.
Wide opening doors and high roof line make entry and exit good for less mobile people (ie: my wife)
A few things to watch out for....
Pre-2013 had the goo pump puncture things (ie: useless but saved weight). Try and negotiate a space saver wheel and toolkit with jack if buying of this age.(also they are often available on Ebay)
They can get a bit rusty underneath so have a look and make sure that underseal hasn't been damaged and the front and rear sub frames don't have advisory on past MOT's if buying 3 years and older.
Pre 2014 had a well known door seal problem where rust develops underneath the rubber seal. Its a warranty fix (if the car is still in warranty). The fix is a new door so can be expensive out of warranty unless you can find one in a scrap yard of the same colour. To be fair to Kia, the problem was the seal manufacturers fault.
The original Bridgestone tyres can be somewhat uninspiring. Folks on the forum have suggested Kumho Ecowing and Goodyear Efficient Grip as better options. I'm running on Kumho's at present and I find they do inspire a little better than the Bridgestones.
Do bear in mind that they were designed as an MPV, so aren't a "Pocket rocket" and handling can be a little wallowy when pushed. If you like "spirited driving" a Venga is not the car for you

Overall we'd have another auto quite happily as despite the MPG issue around town, in every other respect it does exactly what a small MPV should (obviously I can't comment on the 1.4 or diesel manuals as we have only experience of the 1.6 auto)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes happy apart from poor mpg.

It is still the only car with seats the right height from the ground and without a huge sill to lift feet over.
It is an idea arthritis car.

I have been in my neighbour's Sportage and the height is ok but the sill height is enormous, I have to lift my legs up with my hands. Of course the ground clearance is what makes the difference, but I don't use the Venga off read, and it clears speed humps so it is fine. If I didn't have arthritis, bad knees and a wife, maybe I would go for the Sportage as it has mor room in the back for shopping, but then without her I wouldn't need as much! So I would stick with the Venga.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am on my second Venga which is coming up to its first MOT. It's a 1.6 petrol auto as was the first one. Its ideal for me as I suffer from hip and knee problems and the higher seating position is excellent. Having previously been used to driving large 4X4's I miss the size but when I was looking to change the Sorento it was only really the Venga that fitted the bill. The six speed gearbox is a good improvement. Not particularly impressed with the economy but then I do a lot of short journeys.

David

·
Administrator
7,481 Posts
I think the Venga is the most underrated in the Kia line up.

It ticks so many boxes and so versitile.

Had ours six years from new and my wife wants to soon trade it in for a new one.

Paul

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I think the Venga is the most underrated in the Kia line up.

It ticks so many boxes and so versatile.

Had ours six years from new and my wife wants to soon trade it in for a new one.

Paul
Glad to see you are still Championing the Venga Paul :grin:

Reactions: Uvox2

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had mine since May last year, a 2012 1.6 3 auto, now showing 44000 miles. Ride is a bit hard but handles well as compensation, driving position is good, great access for someone with bad back like me. I bought it on account of the adjustable boot floor combined with sliding and reclining rear seats as it gives fab flexibility in a car no longer than a Fiesta - on that front it is superb and great as a small family car.
The spec is great too, cruise, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, half leather, excellent for the age of the car.

4-spd auto is ok, not the best ive owned but it does the job, I find economy varies between 35 and 45 mpg, obvs worse in winter or with heavy a/c use, better with super U/L and keep tyre pressures correct. £200 RFL is a bit ouchy.

I have done 11k in mine now and for a car closing in on its 8th birthday it has been faultlessly reliable thus far. It doesn't feel as solidly made as my previous Toyotas, but it starts and goes nonetheless.

I think had they stuck a 1.0 turbo engine in it, it would have given it a new lease of life and better economy, but it isn't a bad old thing and they are very cheap for what they are - as long as you factor in a realistic fuel cost, it is a car one can recommend.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have had mine since May last year, a 2012 1.6 3 auto, now showing 44000 miles. Ride is a bit hard but handles well as compensation, driving position is good, great access for someone with bad back like me. I bought it on account of the adjustable boot floor combined with sliding and reclining rear seats as it gives fab flexibility in a car no longer than a Fiesta - on that front it is superb and great as a small family car.
The spec is great too, cruise, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, half leather, excellent for the age of the car.

4-spd auto is ok, not the best ive owned but it does the job, I find economy varies between 35 and 45 mpg, obvs worse in winter or with heavy a/c use, better with super U/L and keep tyre pressures correct. £200 RFL is a bit ouchy.

I have done 11k in mine now and for a car closing in on its 8th birthday it has been faultlessly reliable thus far. It doesn't feel as solidly made as my previous Toyotas, but it starts and goes nonetheless.

I think had they stuck a 1.0 turbo engine in it, it would have given it a new lease of life and better economy, but it isn't a bad old thing and they are very cheap for what they are - as long as you factor in a realistic fuel cost, it is a car one can recommend.
35mpg is good, what type of journeys are you doing to achieve that?
Intrigued you say super unleaded returns better mpg. Any idea what sort of difference you are getting between super (97 ron) and normal (95 ron)?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
What would you expect from a petrol 1.6 auto? It is largely dependent on the type of journey and the speed you are driving at. In town all autos are heavy on petrol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
35mpg is good, what type of journeys are you doing to achieve that?
Intrigued you say super unleaded returns better mpg. Any idea what sort of difference you are getting between super (97 ron) and normal (95 ron)?
Prob 20% town, 70% country lanes 30% A/B roads. I don't think I have ever got less than 35 mpg, got 39 the last two weeks and have had 45ish on motorway runs.
I use 99 RON Tesco Momentum rather than 97. 3-5 mpg improvement depending on use. Very dependent on the car as to how much difference it makes. I had a Perodua Kenari auto years ago, 38 on 95 RON, 44 on 99 RON consistently.

I understand Shell V-power is worth a try but I rarely go near a Shell garage and the stuff is pricey, though it does apparently have a very good detergent package that is worth the £££ for the engine improvement.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks 2012VengaAutoNorthants - I'm mainly town (80%) and seeing 23mpg. I might give the old girl a few tanks of Super and see if it makes a difference. We have seen 45mpg but that was on a long run at a steady 60ish.
The car suits in every way due to my wife's disabilities so we live with 23mpg but doesn't stop me wondering if there are techniques to improve (everyday a school day :) )

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The arguments/discussions go on forever about higher Ron fuel. They always will, it's the same about Supermarket fuel v Branded fuel. (Most Supermarkets use a well known fuel, but to what Spec?) I know of cars which have done over 200,000 miles using Supermarket fuels without a problem. All fuel must comply with regulations, and does. The difference is in what is added to the base fuel, what it does and why. I have heard truckers, who deliver, say that when they go to the distribution point they punch in a code given to them for that distribution (Supermarket/Local Garage) and the fill is computer controlled, with or without additives above the minimum requirement.

Claims made by fuel companies are examined and regulated by the Advertising Standards Agency. I read their reports weekly. Whatever they claim MUST be proven, fines can result.

All cars are set up to run at the higher rating spec to comply with the current emission regs. Which fuel you use is up to you. I use Shell V Power mostly, but that is my choice. In Australia I saw a test conducted under observed conditions where a car had the fuel supply to 2 cylinder supplied by a standard fuel and the other two by Shell V Power, I saw the condition, after 100,000kms of the cylinder heads/valves etc. Guess which looked just like new!

BUT IT'S UP TO YOU.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All

Have mine for 20 months from new and it's at 21000 miles. MPG is 48.5 average on that distance Im fairly happy with a few minor flaws. Very practical.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts