Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rio CRDi is one year old now. 42,000 miles covered, 3 services completed. No breakdowns, no serious problems. The fuel economy has not been anything to brag about, a bit worse than I was expecting, but not terrible.
The cons:
The handling of the car I've found to bepoor, but this seems to be mainlya tyre issue. It seems as if tyre choice and wheelbalance are veryimportant. The rear bushes are not great and the back end can lurch sideways a bit when thrown into a tight bend.
Pulling to the left. Kia should sort out wheel alignment before their cars are sold.

My Rio smokes a lot when you put your foot down, particularly at 70 mph. Despite several investigations, the reason for this cannot be found.

After about 20,000 miles I started gettting a vibration through the clutch pedal that wasn't there before. It is most noticeable around 2500 rpm. Not a big problem,but annoying.

The interior plastic scratches easily and the fabric stains easily and is not easy to clean.

The fog light switches are behind the view of the steering wheel, there is no dashboard indication that they are on.

Many of the dashboard lights present on other cars, such as dipped lights are not present.

The odo is red, which takes some getting used to since red usually indicates a problem.

There is no temp gauge.

In wet weather, the back screen needs to be wiped continuously due to the aerodynamics of the car and there is no intermittant rear wipe.

The engine takes a long time to loosen up from new, more than 20,000 miles.

Boot is small.

The back seat bolts keep working loose, making a knocking sound when you go over bumps in the road.

The car seriously needs a 6 speed box.

The headlamps are plastic - get pitted by stones and have to be careful when removing headlamp deflector strips.

The washer jet nozzels are exposed on the bonnet and they freeze up quickly in cold weather.

Under warranty I've had the rubber on the clutch pedal replaced, the steering wheel (due to abnormal wear on the rubberised plastic skin) and probably most significantly, the rear seat belt - this had frayed and come apart despite very infrequent use.

Most Kia dealers provide a poor service.

Other road users hate being overtaken by a Kia.

The Pros:

Good price.

Long warranty.

£30 a year car tax, yet surprisinglypowerful little engine. Fun to drive.

Looks nice, I think the best looking of the Kia range.

Reliable.

The steering is light and precise (with the right tyres) can zip around town with ease.

Most switches are easy to reach and logically located.

Comfortable (mine has arm rest...) The furtherst I've been in one day was 550 miles. Even after 10 hours in the car I had no back or neck problems.

Cruises nicely on the motorway without fuss and has enough power to pull yourself out of trouble when necessary.

Unlikely to get stolen (no street cred).

To summarise, it's not the best car in the world, but for the money it'll get you there in comfort and you'll have a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Christ M4 I thought you were going to start another post on dare I say it MPG

I agree with you its a great car for the money. Mine has only 30k on it and really had no problems with it.
Yes you have to watch what tyres you put on it as it is sensitive to certain makes as I found out too.
Mine doesn't smoke at all so its got a good pair of lungs

It could do with a temp gauge and a dash dimmer. Also sort this A/C coming on everytime you have the air direction at windscreen. That is a pain in the ass

I am looking forward to the Gen3 Rio when it comes out with the 1.7 diesel engine but I certainly wont be changing for a 1.1 or 1.4 diesel. No way Jose.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about putting up a spreadsheet of fuel costs for the year (I have all the receipts!) and I know how much you love talking about mpg!
But for everyone else'd benefit I thought I'd keep it short

I agree with you about the aircon - I forgot that one! Add it to the list...

When the 1.7 diesel comes out it'll have a DPF and I bet it won't be in the £30 tax band anymore.
Plus it'll probably packed with all the useless toys that are now in the Venga.

Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you think the clutch pedal vibration could be the dual mass flywheel beginning to break up, which is what they do?

Might the smokey exhaust be related to the poor fuel consumption?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snowdrop said:
Do you think the clutch pedal vibration could be the dual mass flywheel beginning to break up, which is what they do?

Might the smokey exhaust be related to the poor fuel consumption?
I think the vibration could be due to the DMF. But then in all the Kias I've driven, apart from mine when it was new, none of them havehad smooth action, vibration free clutches.

I think the smoke is related to the fuel consumption to a certain extent, I thinkthe ECUmust be injecting too much fuel when accelerating hard. But I spend most of my time cruising at 2,600 rpm and it doesn't smoke then.

·
Registered
662 Posts
the smoke issue is due to the low air speed in the exhaust system it allows soot to build on the walls of the pipe and exhaust baffles then when you rev it hard the air flow increases massivly due to the turbo and out comes the smoke its not over fueling otherwise they would all fail the mot emmisions test which they dont if properley warmed up and cleared out prior to the test if you let the car idle and then put your hand by the exhaust you will see how slow the gasses are moveing when at idle with no boost pressure car starts to boost underload at around 1500 rpm and is boosting fully by 2200 rpm under load

clutch vibration tends to thoes cars with a cable clutch as the cable acts like the old string telephone when depressed

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Paul, that's interesting what you say about the smoke. I find it worst when the car has been cruising at 70 (about 2600 rpm) for a long time. Then when you put your foot down the cloud can be quite spectacular. Great for when you've got an Audi up your backside in the overtaking lane flashing at you to pull over! They pull back pretty quickly when they get lost in Kias smoke screen feature!

As for the clutch, I've driven loads of different cars over the years. Most had cable clutches, which may have requred a lot more pressure as they aged, but they did not pick up vibrations etc as much as the Kia clutches do. What is strange is that up to 20,000 miles or so, the clutch on my Rio felt great, smooth action and no significant vibration.

The other thing I was wondering is whether the Rio has a cable or a hydraulic clutch?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts