Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My KIA experience has been the worst ever and thats not just a comment born out over a few months/years.
I've had my 01-CRDi Sedona since 2005 and I now wish I'd walked away from it a year ago. It would have been better just to scrap it.

I actual fact I chose to spend £700+ on getting loads of jobs done on it ready to use on a French holiday last summer. This wrong turn started 1 yr ago.

Since summer it has had a problem with the fuel system which subsequently cost me £1100 for a new set of injectors, but this only temporarily helped because after repeatly complaining it still wasn't right, the gear linkage cables failed and its been in the garage a fortnight. On top of the new cable job which will be ~£300 quid, I've now been told the fuel pump is breaking up because the injectors were found to have metal particles in them.

So I'm waiting on news about whether the 3 month old injectors can be salvaged and whether its possible to get a refurbed fuel pump. I am totally distraught
. Do I pay out more money or do I just settle up with the garage and walk away. In 12months I've thrown £2000 quid at a car worth £1500 and don't know what to do next.

I can't afford another car or if I'm honest can hardly afford the repair bill......however I specifically need a 2ton 7seat vehicle to tow may caravan.

Its fair to say, in my 5th year of ownership, my next car will NOT be Korean. More likely I will have to get a bankloan and buy an old XC90 volvo....

Edited by: ebod

·
Registered
887 Posts
You really have hit all the issues the early sedona had, courtesy of the french diesel injection system, Ford/Renault had same problem with thier delphi systems.
The new breed are incredibly reliable, can't believe it's been in a garage 2 weeks for gear cable,s £150 part and an hours labour to fit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leon, the time in the garage is more down to the relationship we have with them mainly due to the amount of work they've done on the Sedona over the years. Basically they let us have old runners as curtesy cars and we just leave the to it.
I do realise the greatest proportionof costs have been down to the Delphi. With my other car(Accord 2.2 I-CDTI) I have started the regime of ONLY using Shell V-Power diesel becauseI believe the root of many of these diesel pump woes have been down to crappy supermarket fuel.

I like the look and spec of the 06> Hyundai 2.2 Santa Fe and the 7seat version ticks all my boxes. BUT this expereince has really put me off Hyundai/KIA, hence the interest in an older/more expensive XC90 which I feel would cost less to run/fix over the space of a few years

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leon,
Been in contact with an Ebay bloke who is offering recons for £350 with 3 months wrty. I asked him what they actually do to refurb them and was told "Recons have all new rollers springs and cilender and seals"

Does the above seem a viable option or do you smell any rodents???
Edited by: ebod

·
Registered
887 Posts
Never tried a recon pump, sounds cheap, must be a place to get them sorted, it's normally the protective coating that comes away looseing the tolerence and thus pressure.
Might be worth shopping around, try bba reman, well respected rebuilders of most car things!

·
Registered
702 Posts
ebod said:
Leon,
Been in contact with an Ebay bloke who is offering recons for £350 with 3 months wrty. I asked him what they actually do to refurb them and was told "Recons have all new rollers springs and cilender and seals"

Does the above seem a viable option or do you smell any rodents???
Have a word with this guy http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/index.asp (no connection to me) he does seem to know whats what with the various diesel pumps and injectors and what goes wrong with them and whats neede to fix them.Had a friend use them for his mondeo and was really impressed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what do you reckon about having to flush the system ?

The pump didn't outright break , but the first set of knacked injectors were confirmed particle free. The present theory is the new injectors fixed the leak-off probs and allowed the pump to build more pressure.

It was this greater pressure that started the pump on its decline.

What exactly would need doing to clean out the system ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts