Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what oil people use. I was using Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40, but this morning noticed on the back it says for engines without particulate filters!

Also I was wondering how much oil you tend to lose over say 1000 miles?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I do not know what oil is in mine, since I have it serviced.

Regarding the oil use, absolutely none.

I keep checking the oil level every two weeks but the engine does not use any.
Hence that is the reason I cannot answer question 1.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Paul, thanks for that.

How much should I normally need to use between services?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
M4 on my Rio diesel I never have to top up between services but every car is different. I would say a litre or so is not alot between services.
How much is your car using.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Folks
First year used about 1 Litre settling in, but since then not noticeable.

And oil SHELL HELIX ULTRA EXTRA 5-W 30W

Bob

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
davy said:
M4 on my Rio diesel I never have to top up between services but every car is different. I would say a litre or so is not alot between services.
How much is your car using.

If it's just a litre between services, then I don't mind so much, but since the first service last month I've covered about 7k miles and it's already used more than a litre. I'm worried becuaseat the first service it was overfilled with oil.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I am sure every manufacturer has a top limit in oil consumption before you could claim the warranty on the engine.
I'm sure one of the Kia mechanics on here could enlighten you. Viking Paul is one and not forgetting Murphwiz.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been keeping a close eye on the oil this week. It's quite strange, it started the week at three quarters full, now after 1000 miles it's on full!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Years ago a neighbour came to me with his Opel Record 2.2 petrol auto and told me his engine oil was increasing over time and smoking badly and he was getting intermittent drive as well. What the problem was his vacuum diaphragm on the gearbox which runs up to the inlet manifold by a pipe was perforated and the engine was sucking up the ATF oil out the gearbox and was going into the cylinders and some was burning off but the rest was going by the rings into the sump. Hence the increasing sump oil.

·
Registered
662 Posts
sorry picked up on this one late, acceptable oil useage by all manafactures is around 1lt to 1000 miles thats why the routine service checks in your handbook say check the oil weeklymost kias use about 1.5 lts to 10000 miles ask your serviceing dealer to supply you with a top up when you service shell service station retail prices can be very high

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Mines doesn't use any where like that Paul 8000miles and still sitting at same level. Hey but I'm kind to my engine.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Viking Paul said:
sorry picked up on this one late, acceptable oil useage by all manafactures is around 1lt to 1000 miles thats why the routine service checks in your handbook say check the oil weeklymost kias use about 1.5 lts to 10000 miles ask your serviceing dealer to supply you with a top up when you service shell service station retail prices can be very high

Thanks for that Paul. 1 litre/1000 miles sounds a lot, especially when the oil is nearly £20 a litre...would work out at about £80 a month for me!

For the first 12,500 milesI got through 1 litre, which I thought was ok. Thenat the first service it was overfilled and after that the level went all over the place. It seems to have settled at about 7/8 full.

Hopefullyit'll get to the next service without a top up (about another3500 miles).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts