Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows if the oil pressure relief valve is an intregal part of the pump or a seperate part.

I've been having a problem with oil leaks especially on the oil filters themselves, the garage that services my car (not a Kia dealer) suggested fitting an oil pressure gauge to see what was happening this done i am getting high pressure readings:

when cold 100psi +

once warm idle 40psi

2000rpm 90psi

Iam hoping it's the relief valve thats sticking but i am open to suggestions

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know what year you have but you should be aware that up until at least 2005 these cars suffered from failure of the oil pump. Have your guy take the pump off and check the integrity of the driven gear and the internal trochoidal pump mechanism.

Better yet check with Kia themselves to see if there are any recalls on your car. For later models there was also an oil pump strainer issue. Here is a quote from an on line review of these cars

"Oil pressure: make sure the oil
pressure warning light goes out when you start the engine. Some cars
were fitted with a faulty oil-pump strainer, which should already have
been renewed. If it hasn't, the tell-tale sign could stay lit."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that propnut i should have said i have an '02' diesel, i think i have to assume that because of the cars age and mileage (98000) it's either been done or its ok, the oil light on dash always goes out straight away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is actually the diesels that suffered from the oil pump problems. The relief valve in most oil pumps is integral to the pump. Cold oil is more viscous than hot oil so having higher temp when cold is not surprising. It might be an idea to take the pump off, strip it and take a look. When was the last time the engine was flushed. A method I have used for many years is to add 1/2 to 1L of paraffin to the oil the night before I am going to service the car. I let the car run for a good 20 - 30 minutes so that the paraffin fully mixes with the oil and cleanses the inside of the engine. I then leave it over night to fully settle into the sump and drain. NOTE: I never drive the car like this as the thinning of the oil would not be good for the big ends or mains but at idle it's fine.

I looked at a Sedona when trying to find an economical alternative to my Previa but due to the number of reports I read pertaining to the oil pump settled of a Chrysler Voyager instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have just droped the sump from my 2.9 tdi to find that the teeth from the oil pump spocket have all worn off the reason i droped sump was a oil leak from around the sump pan hope this hells

1 - 5 of 5 Posts