Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Oil pressure light...continued

7K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  BIRDMAN 
#1 ·
Driving home tonight down some dual carriageway on cruise control and a red oil warning light came on. It then went out and did this a few times over 10 minutes lasting a few minutes and then going out for a few minutes. It seemed also to depend on incline or decline. Whilst illuminated the car woudlnt accelerate and would remain at this speed regardless.

I pulled over and checked the dip stick, which showed the oil level was full.

I drove home, about 5 mile and it again sporadically came on and off.

I consulted the manual it it says it was the oil pressure not oil level. The oil level has the illuminated oil can with a wavy line underneath. Mine tonight was just the oil can so.was def the pressure light.

Anyone had this also and any suggestions ?

Thanks

#2 ·
Could be one of two things. Sump oil strainer partially blocked or oil filter clogged. When was it last serviced and was it main dealer, or independent garage, which may of not used a genuine filter.

#4 ·
I would get it back to dealer ASAP reporting the issue, and not keep driving with the problem. With this light showing low oil pressure there is always a possibility that the engine can suddenly sieze up which which often requires a complete new engine. If you have this arise you will likely have a battle to get it replaced and off the road for some time whilst it is stripped down to find the cause.

Reactions: Indalo
#5 ·
So I thought I would write an update on this incase anyone else has suffered the same or is experiencing the same issues.

To recap 19 days ago the oil pressure level light illuminated in a drive home which was about 160 miles round tril and i have a few miles left. The engine wouldn't accelerate and was slowly slowing down despite depressing the accelerator pedal.pulled over checked level and continued and it sporadically illuminated and went out with the associated stunting of progress each time.

Took in to to kia who basically ran fault codes, saw oil level sensor issue and replaced it and phoned me back about 3 hours later despite me saying it's the oil pressure not the level. Any who drove it hown only for the light to come on again. Shocker.

Phone kia and book it in again for the next day and didnt drive it, only to drop it off which is 3 miles away. They have it for a few days, say its now showing oil pressure sensor fault so they've changed that and they gave it me back.

I drive it home and the next morning off to work and guess what... lights on again. I phone kia an stress I'm getting really annoyed with it and they tell me they are busy till the next week but to bring it in first thing and he'll start a job cars and get on it asap...

They was last Friday. I get a call yesterday to say the "master" technician has driven it and seen the light but apparently nothing untoward was.experienced regarding acceleration. Hmmm whatever.

They then disconnected the sensor?! And the light still came on so they suspect it might be an electrical fault. They have produced a report and are sending it back to kia to see what to do next.

I'm getting g really bored of it all now, I'm perplexed a qualified mechanic.. apparently, cannot utilise his skills and take it upon himself to go hunting and looking for the cause??? Theyve had it now 14 days bar the 2 I've had it back only to take it straight back to them..no offer of a courtesy car an seemingly no nearer the root of the problem... the guy on reception even said, we dont know what it is and are waiting for guidance from kia...

Give me strength. ..had the car 8 weeks, 2 weeks of which it's been with Kia.

Fsh , 16 plate with 75k

#6 ·
One of the joys with the complex electrics these new cars have.

If they have swapped the part out and it's still showing fault. Then either the part is faulty, or there are other issues.
Can't see what disconnecting and the light coming on proves? As I would expect it to come on.

Given the situation and the fact that they have tried and failed to fix once. You would have a right to reject the car.

#8 ·
Still with kia and still non the wiser. They have tole me there may be an engine issue and the oil pressure is so low that its un driveable. It's been almost 3 week!

Have sent an official letter of rejection and requesting full refund minus fair and agreed usage charge.

Was replied to with an intention to consult with the local.kia garage, the kia garage dealing with my car and some legal advice...

Warranty in place to cover any costs aside, the repairing garage have failed 3 times so far to find and fix the fault and have had it 3 weeks. I'm not wrong to reject this vehicle am I?

#10 ·
Have sent an official letter of rejection and requesting full refund minus fair and agreed usage charge.
You can only reject your car from the organisation you have the contract with and that is the seller. You have no contract with either the Kia dealer or Kia themselves despite the fact tha Kia made it and a Kia delaer is investigating it. That is the law.

So who has the rejection letter been sent to?

#15 ·
One,. if diesel dpf sending oil to sump on regeneration when used on too many short runs from cold.
Result engine damage and the symptoms you have.
were you saying 3 years old and less than 20000 miles.
Car also needs annual services regardless of mileage for Kia warranty to be valid..

#17 ·
If the car is taken back it will be in the car auctions for some other unlucky buyer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.