Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...though not a Kia dealer. I purchased a petrol auto Rav4 last year as Kia had only diesels available in my area. Toyota offer a 10 year warranty here but only when the car is serviced at one of their dealers so to keep the warranty valid for another 12 months I payed for a service rather than DIYing the job as usuall. The Rav 4 also has a messy horizonatally mounted oil filter housing at the rear of the engine, a cap needs to be screwed off and the paper element itself replaced. Kia's solution is much more user friendly.
...Anyway, the dealer overfilled a few mm on the dipstick so I chose to suck some 0w-20 out with a vacuum pump. It's not just Kia dealers that overfill apparantly.
I'd prefer the level to just be halfway up the dipstick after a service, and they could rather just give me a half liter to top up myself after letting it sit overnight.

I like the oil filter placement on my Kia Ceed, no need to place one's head beneath the car at all, the filter can be reached from in front of the car, there is just enough visibilty thru the grill to see.

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
578 Posts
Depending on the extraction method of the oil there are different fill capacities. They will likely just go by the book and not check the dip stick.

Its another reason I was sad to see the end of my Bora diesel. Servicing it myself took around 20 minutes on a warm engine and cost £60 for VW Quantum oil (5l, 4.5l used) and a Febi full service kit (oil, air, fuel and pollen filters) . Oil and fuel filters located easily for serviceability. Vacuum extraction pump used so no need to do anything under the car. Even the pollen filter was in the engine bay and a breeze to get to.

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
You are aware that to check the oil level on a Kia you have to run the engine for a few mins. NOT check 1st thing in the morning.... As per handbook. This will mean oil level will be below full.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
to check the oil level on a Kia you have to run the engine for a few mins. NOT check 1st thing in the morning.... As per handbook. This will mean oil level will be below full.
While I'm sure that JD knows how to check his oil level, I'm unaware if the methodology involved in doing so in my 1.7 litre turbodiesel is common to all KIA models - I'll take your word on that one - I have no doubt that many of those who have complained about dealers overfilling their engines with oil at service time were mistakenly performing oil level checks on a cold engine.

I drew attention to this KIA feature some time ago and while it is not the way that an oil level was checked in 1955, KIA, for whatever reason, decided to recommend its peculiar methodology, certainly in the case of the engine in my Optima. For those who imagine that it probably doesn't make much difference, I can testify that the difference between a cold check and a check using KIA's recommended measuring process does reveal a very big difference on the dipstick - a difference sufficient to perhaps have one dashing for the top-up oil bottle and then unwittingly overfilling the sump!

Reactions: little_geoff

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe that Kia's method as described above is the best way for most users in the world as a whole.
Many car owners have no level ground to let the car sit overnight, their parking spaces are not level. They may have to park far from home too. letting the car sit overnight is not an option.
  • Kia's method can be performed at any gas station or apon arrival at any workshop with a level floor.
  • If Kia's method is followed then the oil temp will always be constant
  • the duration of time to allow oil to drip to the sump will remain constant
  • If the oil level in a Kia is mistakenly set to the top mark with the engine cold then it will not be an issue.
  • If a non Kia vehicle is mistakenly set to the top mark with the engine hot, then it may well be an issue.
if the car sits overnight then the oil temp could be anywhere from about +50 deg to -50m degC.
Any car can have the oil checked after 5 minutes, just keep the level a few mm below the top mark rather than spot on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts