Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have just founfd this site and hope someone can help me. My wife drives a 2005 sedona 2.9. Recently there has been intermittent difficulty in engaging gear . I have driven it and there is a slight resistance when changing up . Could it be that the manual box requires topping up or something more sinister ? If it is just requiring a top up thencould someone direct me to the top up point. The vehicle has only done 33000 miles from new and we have had it from 10000 miles. Thanks and this site looks very good.

·
Registered
399 Posts
to check manual gearbox oil ---- remove speedo sensor and the level should be up to the cog wheel. THAT IS IF YOU CAN REMOVE IT???Its possible that you might need to bleed the clutch hydraulic system

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Mininut. Where is the speed sensor located and what does it look like ? Can I access it from above or do I need to raise the car ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it correct that the clutch shares the same Master Cylinder as the Braking System ? I can't find another reservoir for the clutch anywhere on the car. The bleed nipple is located where? Sorry to be a pain

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi that's correct
the speed sensor is located at the bulkhead side of the gearbox. Just follow the bell housing to the back and it's located virtually on top of the diff housing. BEWARE!!!!! they dont come out easily, they CAN brake. What I did (since I had to drain the oil anyway) I removed the reversing light switch and filled the gearbox with 2.3 LTS oil MAX through the hole.

The bleed nipple is located at the engine side of the slave with a black dust cap on it. The slave is located under the air intake pipe that leads to the air filter housing. It would be a lot easier to remove this pipe to gain access .
Edited by: MININUT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx miminut...one last question..... I found the slave cylinder and bleed nipple, do you know the size of socket or spanner to undo the bleed nipple as I have had previous experiences with rounded flats on bleednipples.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update to last post.. I found an 8 mm spanner fits. I bled the slave cylinder using the old tried and tested method with the missus in thedrivers seat...undo nipple..down and holdon the clutch pedal.. tighten nipple....off. However, the clutch pedal stayed down when released and I had to pull it back up by hand. I repeated the procedure several times and the pedal stayed down every time. I have never had this happen before . In the past I have had many old cars which I maintained myself and have bled brakesystems using the same method without a problem. I have driven the car and it seems to be the same as it was before I bled it . Am I bleeding the clutch system incorrectly ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another update...Tried plastic tube method into half filled jar....still the same, difficut engaging gear at times, no crunching or anything like that, just won't go into gear without a bit of force. Almost at my wits end here.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Stevie B said:
Another update...Tried plastic tube method into half filled jar....still the same, difficut engaging gear at times, no crunching or anything like that, just won't go into gear without a bit of force. Almost at my wits end here.
Mate had a problem similar to yours hard to get into gear not much play on the pedal, turnrd out to be 2 broken fingers on the clutch pressure plate it had only doe 45,000miles

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes you are bleeding correctly, there's another method I use to bleed but I wont go into that! Have you checked how much free play you have on the clutch pedal before you feel any resistance? you have to check the effort with your hand? if you have free play it can be adjusted.

You have to check the obvious first, once all the preliminaries have been done, then I'm afraid you have to suspect the worst

Edited by: MININUT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses lads..I thought the clutch was hydraulic and self adjusting or is there adjustment available on the pedal ? Regarding the Gearbox Oil filling point, I haven't any ramps or big jacks to get under the car to get to the speed sensorso will have to ask my local garage to check the level. Hopefully itwill be lowand all my worries will be over

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just checked the free play on the clutch pedal with hand pressure, theres about 2 inches before feeling any resistance . Thanks again

·
Registered
399 Posts
The push rod behind the clutch pedal has a screw adjustment 10mm spanner I think, adjust it up BUT make sure you have about 1/8 minimum free play, (if you remove all free play the master cylinder will just build up pressure), then try it, as I mentioned this could be the last thing you can try before condeming the clutch.

The speed sensor, sorry if I was not clear, you reach it from the top! it's situated just above the diff housing which you can see .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went down my local garage to buy some Gearbox oil. Mentioned that I was having clutch problems. The garage owner got one of his mechanics to take quick look, 5 minutes later he called me in and showed me the problem. Cracked fork !!!! I have seen this mentioned on the forum but couldn't see the fork very easily. Quoted 5 hours Labour and £20 for the replacement fork. Not good but better than a it could have been eh ? Too big a job for me I'm afraid. Gotta wait till Wednesday to get it done.. Will post when its done and let you know final cost. Thanks again for all your help lads. This is a great Forum

·
Registered
702 Posts
Stevie B said:
Went down my local garage to buy some Gearbox oil. Mentioned that I was having clutch problems. The garage owner got one of his mechanics to take quick look, 5 minutes later he called me in and showed me the problem. Cracked fork !!!! I have seen this mentioned on the forum but couldn't see the fork very easily. Quoted 5 hours Labour and £20 for the replacement fork. Not good but better than a it could have been eh ? Too big a job for me I'm afraid. Gotta wait till Wednesday to get it done.. Will post when its done and let you know final cost. Thanks again for all your help lads. This is a great Forum
Glad you are finally getting it sorted though you do seem to have had a lot of problems with it just lately but I guess thats life for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hearing about his problem i have a manual one and when i have been out in it for a journey it wont go in gear let it stand and it is perfect again do you no what it could be

1 - 16 of 16 Posts