Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my GTS booked for service last Tuesday but was told by the dealer that the oil filters are on backorder with Kia UK and are not expected for 5-6 weeks!

I'm concerned about the warranty (it's now 14 days since the service was due) so I asked the dealer to provide a letter from Kia that states the warranty will not be affected by their supply shortage. The dealer sent me a copy of a letter from Kia HQ dated 25th Jan that related to the oil filter for a 1.6GDI engine... needless to say I've asked them for something a bit more relevant to my circumstances.

Has anyone else had a similar delay with recent servicing?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Make sure you get a revised letter from them just in case of a warranty issue but numerous owners on the Facebook group are also having the same issue and getting letters saying that the warranty will be honoured. I had mine a month ago without issue but it is very much dealership by dealership luck whether they have parts in stock. All deliveries for parts are facing big delays and back orders. Another owner mentioned needing new pads and discs with none in stock for 4 weeks...

·
Super Moderator
4,337 Posts
One month ago..

Wonder if they were stuck in the Suez.

·
Registered
Kia Stinger 2020 Ember Orange
70 Posts
That happened to me last month and it's now booked for next week. I told the service manager I wanted them to go ahead regardless and change the oil (plus a few other things) even without a filter and then I will return once the filter arrives for another oil change. He agreed and also confirmed I would be given a letter confirming warranty cover.
My view is that one day I will sell the car, possibly privately, and I want to be able to reassure any future owners that it has never gone over its allowance without fresh oil. One day it will be older than the 7 yr warranty so maintenance will be even more pertinent

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
One month ago..

Wonder if they were stuck in the Suez.
A quick search of the stinger oil filers tells me its the same filter used on my Venga and many other kia engines.. cant be that much of a problem when some dealers are selling them on ebay.. @ £11.99 each.. I also rang two dealers in my area yesterday quoting part numbers and both told me they had plenty.. so this suggests to me that some dealers are not keeping stocks replenished when they should be..plain and simple..far better to be over stocked than under stocked.. idiots..

EPIC FAIL

·
Registered
70 Posts
So, took mine in for it's rescheduled 1st service and still no filter. They are changing the oil anyway (as per my request) to be be done again when a filter eventually turns up. In reality it's not a big issue for meas it's still less than 1600 miles but for future reassurance I wanted the oil changed
I had kicked up a fuss about a constant air loss from a tyre effectively ever since I got it so it was going in for a new valve regardless.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same issue here. Car due for service on 30th March, dealer called to tell me that oil filters weren't available but that the warranty wouldn't be affected.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Is this KIA filters only or type approved other manufacturers filters.?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Kia dealers are struggling to deal with Stinger owners effectively, at least it seems that way to me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine carried out the oil change at my request and their cost once I contacted the manager. They will do a complete oil/filter change when the filters arrive. It's worth asking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This will be the third service in 18m & 8k miles (I've done about 4k since I bought the car 6m ago) so I'm not too worried about the condition of the oil.

But I am concerned about the warranty - each time I get in the car it reminds me that the service is overdue (22 days as of today) and I remember that it's past the normal grace period.
I like the car but I've never kept one for more than a couple of years so I'm thinking ahead to the time I come to sell it. If I was a prospective buyer and I saw a 7-8 month gap between services I would want to have some proof that the warranty was still intact. One of the big resale appeals of this car is the 7-year warranty.

The dealer said they would get a letter from Kia. I've chased them this week but didn't get a response. I guess I'll give them until next week before I contact Kia UK directly.

Like dunc69 says it's not been a great dealership experience so far but tbh I've never had a perfect experience with any brand (VW, Audi, BMW, Merc, Volvo, Peugeot in the past 10 years, issues with all to some extent) so I'm giving them some slack for now.

MPH, steveheath - did you get anything in writing to say the warranty would not be affected?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hmm, well, yes and no. They did forward me a letter but it referred to the warranty being honored in relation to a filter for 2.0 Gdi engines. I went back saying mine is the 3.3 Gdi but the response was that as it was the same filter it applies to mine too.
Hardly satisfactory so I'm glad you reminded me as I was going to get on to the Service Manager for the Snows group to push for something more relevant

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
As said before stingers 1.6 and 2 Ltr and 2.4 use the same filters as many other kia models.. venga included..so buy one online and have a word with your dealer and ask them if you can provide the filter and they then deduct the cost from the service..look a little harder and you will find that for £11.99p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't hear back from the dealer so I called Kia UK Customer Services 0333 2022 990. The rep at Kia said he would speak with the dealer to confirm my story and then sent me an email saying "I can also confirm on this occasion your warranty will not be affected as the part delay was not something you had control over resulting in a delayed service."

That's put my mind at ease, it's a personal email with a case reference number so I've got the proof I'm looking for if there are any issues in the future.

Apparently, the dealer has now received some oil filters so I'm waiting for them to contact me to arrange the service...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts