Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Gone and brought one of theses bad boys! Only a couple of quid from a market stall and if it wont have any effect they its a lovely size fridge magnet!

Question is does anyone believe A)these actually help and B)they wont void any warranty?

I figured the first few thousand miles will be where the most wear will happen and this may help preserve the engine alot better down the line.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,125 Posts
Iam using an old hard drive magnet (bloody strong!) on the side of my 1976 Triumph Spitfires oil filter. It already has a magnetic sump plug which collects asmall amount of metal powder (I rebuilt the engine following a rebore etcabout 2000 miles ago, not really run in yet) but have neve taken afilter apart to see what gets collected in there. I think the only risk is if the magnet falls off and the filter gets a 'hit' of released metal dust all at once. And of course it won't collect none ferrous metals.
Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
662 Posts
Magnets on filters dont work as the oils being moved by pressure your better off attaching it to the sump oppisite end from the pick up strainer, plus most engines pick the oil up and pass it through the oil pump before it gets to the filter so the oil pumps no better off , better to trap the rubbish prior to it getting into the pump and use a top quality oil and filter

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree about the top quality oil and filter; only ever use OE parts and change the oil often. I tend to do an oil and filter change every 5km (about 6months for me) as I'm low mileage.
Paulg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts