Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody come up with a suggestion why I found my oil level dipstick raised up out of its tube other than not being put back properly following its annual sevice. The car is an 09 2.0 diesel automatic. Needless to say the engine compartment is now cocered in oil !!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for comments. Could the engine oil been overfilled at service creating crankcase pressure and forcing dipstick out ?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Unlikely in my opinion, crankcase pressure is normally caused by faulty piston rings.

How much oil is in the sump now? If its on the full mark it was probably overfilled, if its under it probably wasn't.

Does it really matter, the garage needs to sort it either way.

Still think its a careless mechanic, had a filler cap left off once many years ago and that made a real mess but it probably never rusted under the bonnet.

Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for comment the oil level is still within 1mm of full mark. looks like overfilled. taking car back today to do battle with garage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update on oil problem. taken to garage. They told me that the mechanic must have spilt 'some' oil when filling engine and it had run down the engine. Also assured me that it was impossible for oil to come up the dipstick tube with the engine running even if the dipstick was not replaced.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's not impossible at all for oil to come up there, but the engine would have to be in adesperately poor state to do it! If the stick was forced out by crankcase pressure, you'd have a lot of other very noticeable starting andrunning problems, not the least of which would be the awful racket it would make

It sounds like a sloppy grease monkey, nothing more-I wouldn't be worrying overmuch about it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
In my experience the dealers tend to overfill with oil. I suppose they look up in the book the car's oil capacity and put that much in. Trouble is, there's probably about half a litre of old oil in the engine that hasn't drained out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts