Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 2017 1.6 Sportage and she loves it. It's a nice car but a slug compare to my Saab. Anyway, my wife brought the car back in August from a Kia dealer and its had a full service & MOT before she took it away. It had 48k when she took it and it now has 52k but the engine oil light has come on. I checked the oil and it's on the tip of the dipstick is is supposed to use that much oil in that amount of time? Thank you

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi Robert
Any apparent leaks ?
What was the oil level after you bought it/after the service ?
How much has the oil level gone down since the last time it was checked ?
The car must be level to get an accurate dipstick reading.
I check our oil levels at least every 2 weeks and also before and after any long journeys.

·
Registered
357 Posts
if there are no leaks i suspect the dealer only topped up to min, if you prevously have not checked the oil level you have nothing to compare it too. i would add 1l to get to max level then check it weekly for 3000 miles and see what happens.

·
Registered
361 Posts
1.6 petrol owner here - owned for 12,000 miles and zero oil consumption thus far. Was serviced before I bought it - oil at "MAX" the day I picked it up.
Was serviced again just before xmas, 10,000 miles later, oil still on "MAX" the day it went in for service.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I checked the oil and it's on the tip of the dipstick
Just a word of caution about checking oil level. The method for checking the level in your model may differ from mine but if I check mine when the engine is cold and hasn't been used for a while, it always reads excessively high.

However, if I follow KIA's method contained in the owner's handbook, it reads correctly. I realise that you are referring to an extremely low oil reading which necessitates performing some checks to ensure that there is no leak and that the engine isn't burning oil. Rudimentary checks are all that is required and if all appears ok, top up to near the max level mark but not to the limit. Then monitor the level weekly.

·
Registered
554 Posts
1.6 petrol owner here - owned for 12,000 miles and zero oil consumption thus far. Was serviced before I bought it - oil at "MAX" the day I picked it up.
Was serviced again just before xmas, 10,000 miles later, oil still on "MAX" the day it went in for service.
I have the 1.6 turbo and in 4.5k miles it doesn’t appear to have lost any oil. However, when I had the cee’d 1.1 petrol turbo, that used to use oil between services.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the 1.6 turbo and in 4.5k miles it doesn’t appear to have lost any oil. However, when I had the cee’d 1.1 petrol turbo, that used to use oil between services.
Following on from this, I lost a lot of oil from a slow leak on the cee’d. I noticed oil on the under tray and it turned out that it was a faulty washer on the sump I believe when they did the oil change. When the washer was replaced the oil stopped leaking but as I said previously, it did still lose or burn oil in between services which I never understood. But so far, the Sportage has seemed fine with oil use.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wife has a 2017 1.6 Sportage and she loves it. It's a nice car but a slug compare to my Saab. Anyway, my wife brought the car back in August from a Kia dealer and its had a full service & MOT before she took it away. It had 48k when she took it and it now has 52k but the engine oil light has come on. I checked the oil and it's on the tip of the dipstick is is supposed to use that much oil in that amount of time? Thank you
You have had the car 7 months and not checked the oil TILL a warning light came on?

I have a 1 year old 1.6 sportage and oil and fluid levels get checked at leat every 2 months.

NOT having a go at you by the way, but never believe a garage, always check yourself.
One lovely kia dealer overfilled my oil on one car by an awful lot about 6 years ago, looking at the checklist i was given with the invoice it was clear that he was servicing the "wrong vehicle" so I check after it comes from a service too.

On another occasion my 2 litre diesel at that time was serviced as a 1.4 petrol. (not a kia though for that one)

Both times the services were done correctly Free of charge afterwards and in both cases i raised it with Kia and the other manufacturer,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts