Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Look to be removing the egr again, as still has flat spot issues around 1800rpm, no problem with the ac on..
But....
As I was looking at this, noticed the ‘elbow’ after the egr valve that connects back to the exhaust is wet with oil.
It’s the cast iron part that the egr valve bolts directly on top of.
What is around there that could leak???
The actual egr valve looks clean, could be the exhaust gasket between the egr valve and exhaust, but there really is a decent amount of oil., noticed a burning oil smell for a while, on and off, and I guess as the egr valve isn’t open all of the time this explains it?
But where is this oil coming from? It’s very hard to see around the area, any pointers welcomed!!
Thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have oil in same location seeping from the elbow under the EGR Valve.
Car is also very flat on boost which I had been investigating down the lines of Boost Solenoid etc I installed a new boost Solenoid but issue remains.
I have drained the intercooler which didn't have any oil lodged in it ( I was expecting some oil in there) preventing air flow to air intake manifold.
The elbow as far as I can determine is used to funnels the exhaust gas the to the air intake manifold through the short block in the engine.
Picture attached I believe is where the exhaust gas comes out at the air intake manifold side of engine.
My assumption is that the oil you & I have is coming from oil laden boost air that is present at the air intake manifold making its way across the short block and leaking out along with loosing some boost pressure....again only an assumption. Loosing boost pressure would explain flat spots on acceleration.

Would love to hear from some that has gone & fixed this, it may be just a gasket that needs replacing or the nuts on the elbow need tightening.

When your AC is on the ECU bypasses EGR function as you know, just remove the EGR solenoid which sits on top of the valve and clean the firing pin on this solenoid. Carbon build up causes this pin to jam-up.

Will try find time at weekend to investigate more.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
That elbow connects through the cylinder head to the inlet manifold. Oil from around there is in the intake so probably from the breather hose. Some oil is expected, but a lot can indicate a leaking turbo oil seal, too much oil, and possibly a few other things. Is your oil level high?

Turning the AC on limits EGR function to a maximum of 9% so fewer exhaust gases get recycled and there is less of a drop in combustion 'power'.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That elbow connects through the cylinder head to the inlet manifold. Oil from around there is in the intake so probably from the breather hose. Some oil is expected, but a lot can indicate a leaking turbo oil seal, too much oil, and possibly a few other things. Is your oil level high?

Turning the AC on limits EGR function to a maximum of 9% so fewer exhaust gases get recycled and there is less of a drop in combustion 'power'.
Hi
Oil level is okay..
Have had the egr valve off before to clean..
Will check the hoses around the elbow..
There’s certainly more than should be there!
There is oil present in the large bore pipe to the turbo, presumably from the inter cooler..so might be an issue elsewhere..!
Not noticed any loss of power, but that said it’s not really a new car, so no real benchmark of what is good or bad..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi
Oil level is okay..
Have had the egr valve off before to clean..
Will check the hoses around the elbow..
There’s certainly more than should be there!
There is oil present in the large bore pipe to the turbo, presumably from the inter cooler..so might be an issue elsewhere..!
Not noticed any loss of power, but that said it’s not really a new car, so no real benchmark of what is good or bad..
A little bit of oil can easily look like a lot of oil. My old S-Max had a leaky turbo oil seal for the 7 years I had it, but despite garages saying the turbo will fail soon it kept going and performance was fine. The intercooler can collect a fair bit of oil over the years - there are posts on here about cleaning it out from time to time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts