Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Now this got me thinking (need a lie-down now)

Why are no EV fitted with a jet engine turbine style charger. Air from the car moving would cause the turbine to rotate & create electricity.
OK it would not create as much as is being used. But it would certainly increase range.

Ah dam someone beat me too it...

But why are none of the EV manufactures taking up a cheap, simple idea...

Answers on the back of a cig packet or napkin. 馃ぃ

Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
Because it isn鈥檛 viable for all vehicles.

I sent my dad a text on this earlier and he had a similar feeling to you.
Freight using a pantograph makes sense because of the journeys being done which are regular and route based. A motor could be retrofitted to allow zero emission at point of use and ICE to deal with last mile solution. Similarly new vehicles would carry less battery mass (read more cargo) to deal with the same problem.

It may be a simple idea but the infrastructure costs are high and execution for a number of different vehicles and speed/braking profiles and the pricing is difficult.

It works for freight as routes are common and pricing makes sense. It鈥檚 much more akin to running a railway than a mixed use motorway.

That said we do need a chang win logistics, distribution and warehousing to reply make this work.

I would love to discuss in more detail if people would like! :)

Super Moderator
Let me go out on a limb, there is already an extensive network, some of it has electric overhead wires and electric vehicles that use pantographs to pick up power. Not only that, the said vehicles can tow many thousand of tons of freight. It's called a railway, and is capable of delivering freight across the country and it's already there.
Extreme thinking I know, but there you go.

Registered
And that is exactly what my old man said! I am biased in saying that I would love to see more trains about carting freight and passengers... Beeching made some cuts to that and it had changed the rail network irreversibly from something that would work today more than ever.

This offers a new way of solving the problems that exist in the situation we currently find ourselves in.

Last mile is still an issue with our current rail network, both for freight and passenger in the way we live.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep railway is the obvious answer.

But any change of season or sort of bad weather & it tends to fall apart.

Biggest issue I see is when truck comes up behind driving miss daisy doing 50...

Registered
Yep railway is the obvious answer.

But any change of season or sort of bad weather & it tends to fall apart.
An element of physics which you can鈥檛 get around without spending money there. Leaves? Cut back vegetation and face the wrath of environmentalists. Apply friction modifiers and incur great cost to maintain them over the period.

Biggest issue I see is when truck comes up behind driving miss daisy doing 50...
And the solution here is autonomous driving and vehicle communication. Volvo did some testing of 鈥榝lighting鈥 of lorries and cars a few years back using similar systems to adaptive cruise control and lane keeping coupled with inter-vehicle communication. This formed 鈥榲irtually coupled trains鈥 of vehicles which acted as a unit
Edit: better article Volvo Autonomous Road Train Hits Public Roads for First Time

Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
Overtaking in one would be awkward......
And building all the overhead catenary system wouldn't cause any problems, would it?

Super Moderator
Let me see:-
1. Government announces plans to electrify the whole motorway system, starting with Electric Route 1 (ER1) London to Cambridge. Followed by ER2 London to the Midlands.
2. Construction work commences on ER1, however cost quickly escalate and the government get nervous.
3. ER1 is completed, three years overdue and the cost was four times the original estimate.
5. Government announces new cost effective, ECO plans for ER2. The London to Midlands route won't be electrified, instead the government will introduce fast horses and carts. Multiple roadside stops will be built to provide water and hay for the horses. The manure will be used to feed the mushrooms.
Sound familiar?

Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
There are always the canals you know! Profitable and reliable before the railways came along. A barge can carry 50 tons of goods and be moved by just one horsepower. Would play hell with Prime next day delivery though.... :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: mr.macspot

Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
Let me go out on a limb, there is already an extensive network, some of it has electric overhead wires and electric vehicles that use pantographs to pick up power. Not only that, the said vehicles can tow many thousand of tons of freight. It's called a railway, and is capable of delivering freight across the country and it's already there.
Extreme thinking I know, but there you go.
There used to be a system like that in the 60s, 70s, 80s called Freightliner. After millions spent, it was eventually dropped because it didn't work well enough - possibly due to a major road/motorway building programme at the same time.

Reactions: mr.macspot
1 - 10 of 10 Posts