connected to trickle charger
in gear, handbrake off
i occasionally roll car forward or back to put tyres in different position
Any further advice welcome
Keep Safe

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Not a lot more you can do if you can't/won't drive it. Manufacturers over inflate tyres at the factory to help prevent flat spots so that is something to consider.

Personally, I would actually want to run the car every now and then as this will also get it up to temperature. It is far better to actually take it for a drive as leaving a cold engine idling is not recommended. Driving will also help to remove rust build up from the brake discs and flywheel face, get oil circulating in all the oily bits (which will not happen if just rolling the car a short distance), give the clutch a little exercise, and at least agitate the grease on all the greasy bits (dunno how important this last point is). In short get all the moving parts to move as they are designed to.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
539 Posts
I think you doing lots of the right things already!

That said, I am an advocate of driving a car regularly - and over a decent distance - to keep it up together. That's difficult I know in the current situation; during the first lockdown I was reduced to doing a few laps around our estate at 6am on Sunday mornings!

Apart from what you and Turnup has mentioned, I'd say make sure to run the aircon. Little things I do- perhaps unnecessarily - is operate all the windows and run the washer pumps. Oh, and check the handbrake!

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
Echo above post.
I would take it for a drive when you can.
Even if it's only a trip to the supermarket, via the long route. Not that I advise breaking covid rules.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a lot more you can do if you can't/won't drive it. Manufacturers over inflate tyres at the factory to help prevent flat spots so that is something to consider.

Personally, I would actually want to run the car every now and then as this will also get it up to temperature. It is far better to actually take it for a drive as leaving a cold engine idling is not recommended. Driving will also help to remove rust build up from the brake discs and flywheel face, get oil circulating in all the oily bits (which will not happen if just rolling the car a short distance), give the clutch a little exercise, and at least agitate the grease on all the greasy bits (dunno how important this last point is). In short get all the moving parts to move as they are designed to.
Yes, makes good sense, will do
thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

That said, I am an advocate of driving a car regularly - and over a decent distance - to keep it up together. That's difficult I know in the current situation; during the first lockdown I was reduced to doing a few laps around our estate at 6am on Sunday mornings!

Apart from what you and Turnup has mentioned, I'd say make sure to run the aircon. Little things I do- perhaps unnecessarily - is operate all the windows and run the washer pumps. Oh, and check the handbrake!
Yes will do, makes good sense to keep it all good
many thanks

·
Registered
5,212 Posts

Good point re the aircon, which I missed - I just leave mine on all the time but I know some turn it off. There is a lubricant circulating with the coolant and this keeps the seals supple - if they dry out the coolant leaks and you will then need a regas..

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
539 Posts
I went to the petrol station last week for the first time in nearly three months; I did briefly wonder if the filler cap might have seized... ;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Still running my Venga and when I can will run the wife Swift as well.. she wont even go out now in fear of the virus.. I take both cars out for a long run to keep all systems on both car working and that also includes aircon which freezes my nuts off 🥶

·
Registered
892 Posts
Exercise the electric handbrake bi-weekly even if the motor is off, I've not heard of electric handbrake problems on this forum so Kia probably have a robust design. For those with French cars, occasional use is smart.

If the car is stored in outdoor conditions put a moisture absorber in there, the type for caravans, boats, etc. A fuel stabiliser is also a good idea for those who know that the tank may sit unused for 6 months or more.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Still running my Venga and when I can will run the wife Swift as well.. she wont even go out now in fear of the virus.. I take both cars out for a long run to keep all systems on both car working and that also includes aircon which freezes my nuts off 🥶
That's my entire existence outside of the house at the moment. Supermarket twice a week via the long route (or the very long route for the gt), alternating cars to keep them both from sitting idle for too long. We have access to priority delivery slots but if someone else that needs them can benefit, I'll begrudgingly spend some quality time with my gt. 😁

It's been so long since last filling up, I was a bit surprised I was paying 1.25 again.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
When I retired we went to West Australia for three months (Jan, Feb, March) each year, for 13 years. My Picasso stood in the drive for all of that time unused, often covered in a pile of snow, no charger etc. On every occasion, it started the first time, the only problem was the first year when I left the handbrake on and it took some effort to free it off. A lesson learned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts