Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sportage is not that good off road, It has new tyres fitted (road tread pattern) and the 4wd is now working but it still gets stuck very easy in mud and even on wet grass trying to drive up my garden, My last 4x4 was a Suzuki SJ413 which was excellent off road and never got stuck, The KIA might have to stay on the road as I spend more time dragging it out of mud with a tractor than driving under it's own power, Has anyone else had any luck going off road with a Sportage ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
G'day
I have a 2000 model sportage and it has amazed me at where it will go. About three weeks after i purchased it a group of about nine four wheel drives set off tothe Kanangra Boyd national park. The group consisted of L/cruisers, pathfinders, pajeros, four runners and the like which meant mine was the smallest in the convoy. After copping a bagging at our meeting point it was off to the scrub. This little wagon was the only one that didn't have any troublenegotiating the fire trails. Mine also is only fitted with highway tires and the terrain around here is not all that forgiving. The tires i use are khumos and i can't complain about them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ill tell you tonite, Im driving a 2008 Cypriot Sportage auto tonite in the schhhnow.

·
Registered
662 Posts
sure you don't have a two wheel drive model

have had 12 sportages now most of them the Titan models with the larger rimfire wheels and continental road tyres never once got stuck even with my caravan on we take customers off roading twice a year and have only ever had to drag one out of a ditch because it ran out of ground clearance big tip disengage the ESP this will allow the car to rev and stop it trying to back the power down and apply the brakes whilst your driving

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought our sportage for towing horse trailer which it does well and for our snowy roads - we live in the Peak District. Its gone thru 6 inches of snow on country roads today but I haven't really offroaded it , just muddy verges etc. Can anyone tell me the correct use of the 4wd lock button ? Dealer just said only use it when you are stuck but book suggests otherwise....?

·
Registered
887 Posts
4wd lock, only there for when you know it's going to get tricky, to be fair the systems pretty good at sensing slip, 4wd lock will only work up to 25mph, and only use it if its VERY slippy otherwise you could damage the system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for that - haven't used it yet! When you say very slippy are you just referring to mud or snow ?(of which we have plenty at present!)Any advantage to using it on ice?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Right, had the cypriot sportage for 3 days till the MD pitched a proper snit today and put me back in the Picanto.

Not that bad for an FWD model. Lovely spec, it was basically a Titan with old XE alloys, but the interior was beige not black. B E A UTIFUL car. Bit jucy for my tastes but handled the snow well. Now Im back in the Picanto and will have to phone the boss for a lift into work tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts