Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello help needed.
Just changed to a Sportage XS 4WD diesel. I gather the nose weight is 75kg. How do you guys tow big caravans on this nose weight. My caravan (Bailey Sancerre) weighs 1435kg fully laden, which working on the 7% of caravan weight rule gives it a nose weight of 100kg. Or is the 7% worked out from the MIRO weight. With the Nissan this was ok as the nose weight was 100kg. When you move items to the the other side of the axle to acheive the 75kg is the unit still stable. I have towed for 40 years and have never worried to much about the nose weight, but I have read that you can actually be fined if stoppedwith the nose weight above your cars limit. Your views or corrections would be appreciated.

Mick

·
Registered
197 Posts
There is a thread below (towing with a Sportage) that discusses this issue http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic1992.html

The 7% recommendation has been worked out empirically over the years and is supposed to be based on the kerb weight of your car versus the loaded weight of your van (as I understand it). This is a problem these days as new 'vans are becoming heavier with all the standard gear and better construction while cars are becoming lighter for reasons of economy. Whatever, I think you have to stick to the 75Kg limit to avoid overloading your towbar & car suspension.

This is what the caravan club says: http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/21520/Your-Top-Twenty-Questions.pdf

The only practical suggestion I can make is to load the car rather than the 'van if this is an option for you. You may also want for peace of mind to check the actual loaded weight of your 'van on a weighbridge....there can be considerable differences between seemingly identical models. The only way to find out whether 5 or 6% noseweight is less stable than 7 is to try it out - and hope that it isn't! Stability becomes more of an issue on descents or in cross winds (natural or truck/bus created).

Richard

·
Registered
27 Posts
Poor though that a car like this has such a low nose weight.
I have a 2005 crdi 4wd.

Love the car, but hate the nose weight.

I tow a bailey Ranger, gross 1325 kgs.

dont often get it up to this weight though.

I can make the nose weight just.

I am not so sure thatinserts would make it legal.

The car has a plate, a design weight.

Exeed this, and your breaking the law.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Homeless. What do you mean by inserts. The person who fitted the towbar to my car reckons it is one of the strongest when you consider the area the load is spread over on the bars. He said I should be able to tow a tank. Like you I like the car and it is a much better ride than the X Trail I had before. But somehow I will have to get the nose weight to around 75Kg. It is low considering the type of car

·
Registered
27 Posts
Spring assisters.
But I dont think it would help, I spoke to somone at a towbar fitters.

His thoughts were that they couldstiffen things up a bit at the rear.

Butthe desigin weight, if you exeed that you could be in trouble if stoppedand weighed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to tow with a Freelander.
And never used to worry about noseweight.

just worry what was going to go wrong with it next Lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts