Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
Put this topic on Newbies Section but thought this forum would be more appropriate.

I have a 2004 Sedona 2.9L. Took it for it's belt change about 3 months ago at 65000 miles. Since then the engine has been very noisy with a distinct tappety sound. It has been back to the garage twice now, they say they can't find anything wrong just saying run it a little longer and if no better bring it back. The car sounds totally different from what it was. Has any one experienced the same or shed some light on what maybe the problem. My car seems to be running OK it just sounds like a Massey Ferguson on an off day.

The oil has been changed twice once when the belt was done and the second time the last time I took it back to make sure they hadn't put the wrong oil in.

BR00KY

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a cambelt change on a peugeot 205 diesel & samething happened to me,there was a distinct tapping that did not sound right, so i turned around & took it back, 1 & 1/2 hours later got it back as original.
Believe they got the belt one tooth out on the cam?

there was no problem with the engine & it ran okay for 40,000 miles before i upgraded to a bigger car,with out taking the head off i could check if there where any dents on the piston crowns?

Have they double checked the timing?

Gazcaz

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi , Welcome. I have a Sedona 2.9tdi s 2001. The cam beltfor mine is only1 tooth differentso I double check with my mechanic before I but one of e bay (either 150 or151 teeth). Also have you the correct oil in. Mine came backwith 10/40 semi should be 5/30 full synthetic
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gazcaz for your reply, It gives me a little amo to take it back and get them to have another look. I have done a couple of thousand miles since it was done and some of them motorway so I can only hope if it is wrong that there is no damage.

BR00KY

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks SteveGX. It was anindependentgarage I took it to, I wonder if they checked as to wheter there were different belts. I will also have to ask about the oil/

BR00KY

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did not mean there was an extra tooth on the new belt, i think the new belt was fitted one tooth out on the camshaft, they are surposed to lock the shafts before removing the belt,but something must have moved.

If you have done that amount of mileage with no ill affects it looks like its minor,i went back within a couple of miles? & all was well??

Gazcaz.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 Kia Sedona 2.9, I was driving on the motorway and heard a clanking noise which sounded as thought something had 'fallen' off the underside of the car, a few moments later a similar noise about a mile up the road the car lost all power all the lights flashed up on the dash and i pulled over. RAC came out and said oil was all over the engine making it difficult to see what has happened so advised me to get towed to my garage. This I did. The garage inspected the car and said that they would need to replace the engine due to the 'damage' at a cost of £2,000-3,000! My husband phoned Kia and they asked to see the vehicle. Their report stated the following, 'Relayed in hole in the sump and metal lumps loose in sump, investigated and stripped off the sump found the balance shafts siezed and sheared off the retained bolt, the crankshaft gear has torn teeth so requires replacement which involves crankshaft removal' I have had my car serviced as recommended, all be it not at a Kia Dealership as their labour rate is ridiculous, and had the cambelt changed in Dec. Kia wont cover it under warranty as the 7 year warranty doesn't apply to my vehicle, and they won't do it under a goodwill policy becuase I haven't had it services with them! I asked the aftersales manager, what I could have done to prevent this and he said there was nothing I could have done. The balance shaft seized due to either an oil blockage or the oil pump failing, (they cant check the oil pump because it is 'non existant', neither of these issues would show up as a fault on the dashboard panel. Therefore my arguement is, if I can't prevent this from happening, by being advised theres a problem via the dash, or in a routine service, surely the car isn't fit for purpose, becuase if I was advised this problem could occur I would never have purchased the vehicle in the first place! I think this is fault on the Sedona but I don't know how to pursue this futher, I have heard of Crank shaft pulley problems with other Kia models and wonder whether this is a similar fault, any experience from other members would be greatly received to help find out where I go from here currently being told £2,130.68 would solve the problem!
Edited by: smegmyster

·
Registered
928 Posts
I had a Hyundai Coupe that always had a slight sound of "tappetyness" when I first owned it.

6 months later, the cambelt was due on a time basis so took it into the local garage to be replaced.

When I got it back theengine sounded so quiet and I mentioned this to the mechanic who had done the work.

He advised that the timing belt was one tooth out when he did the swap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts