Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Noise when turning at slow speed.

10K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jk1959 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I recently noticed a "rubbing" noise when turning steering wheel almost to full lock on my '66 plate sportage. I first noticed it when maneouvering from a parking space. It does not seem to happen during normal driving e.g. above parking speed but then full lock is not needed.
Had a friend check with me and noise seems to be coming from inside cabin not engine area.
Any ideas appreciated.

#2 ·
Assuming you have the 4th generation (the current version), does the noise only happen when it's cold? By that I mean below around 8C. If so then have a look at this thread (it's a long one). The problem is a known issue, when the temperature drops below a certain point, the steering creeks. It is cured by replacing the struts.

#5 ·
Cheers for your input guys. Forum very interesting mr.macspot. it certainly has been cold here lateley. I'm waiting to hear back from dealer about booking car in. Now I'm more assured about problem and what can be done. At least I can still drive meantime.
Well done forum !

#6 ·
To give an update on this : Dealer took car in, checked it out and struts will be replaced under warranty. Also asked about downhill assist light, abs light and steering control light which started to illuminate intermittently (after booking car in as luck would have it) and they found a faulty abs sensor which will also be replaced under warranty.
Thanks again for your help guys.

#7 ·
Be interested to hear if the struts fix the noise.
Didn’t on ours, it was an unnecessarily complicated fix for something far simpler.
It’s like they assume what the problem is based on other cars, assumption rather than investigation.

#8 ·
Sorry for delay in updating, lockdown lack of driving partly to blame and also had to wait on colder weather to check.
We've had a cold winter in Scotland and I can say noise has stopped thankfully, so it looks like Kia was correct on this occasion.
So credit where it is due to Kia and thanks to the guys on the forum for pointing me in the right direction. (y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.