Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I recently noticed a "rubbing" noise when turning steering wheel almost to full lock on my '66 plate sportage. I first noticed it when maneouvering from a parking space. It does not seem to happen during normal driving e.g. above parking speed but then full lock is not needed.
Had a friend check with me and noise seems to be coming from inside cabin not engine area.
Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Assuming you have the 4th generation (the current version), does the noise only happen when it's cold? By that I mean below around 8C. If so then have a look at this thread (it's a long one). The problem is a known issue, when the temperature drops below a certain point, the steering creeks. It is cured by replacing the struts.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Simplest explanation is it might be the tin guards behind the discs.
I’ve had this on several cars including the Sportage.
They’re easily bent out of the way to fix it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Assuming you have the 4th generation (the current version), does the noise only happen when it's cold? By that I mean below around 8C. If so then have a look at this thread (it's a long one). The problem is a known issue, when the temperature drops below a certain point, the steering creeks. It is cured by replacing the struts.
It's actually only the top strut caps which will be replaced. I just had this done under warranty on my 66' plate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for your input guys. Forum very interesting mr.macspot. it certainly has been cold here lateley. I'm waiting to hear back from dealer about booking car in. Now I'm more assured about problem and what can be done. At least I can still drive meantime.
Well done forum !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To give an update on this : Dealer took car in, checked it out and struts will be replaced under warranty. Also asked about downhill assist light, abs light and steering control light which started to illuminate intermittently (after booking car in as luck would have it) and they found a faulty abs sensor which will also be replaced under warranty.
Thanks again for your help guys.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Be interested to hear if the struts fix the noise.
Didn’t on ours, it was an unnecessarily complicated fix for something far simpler.
It’s like they assume what the problem is based on other cars, assumption rather than investigation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts