Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A somewhat long and boring story.

I bought a 2012 Cee'D 2 from Kia in Luton at the back end of 2019. 53k miles, very good price. Very slightly stiff in gears 1-3, fine in 4-6. Biting point almost at the floor, which for ease of driving certainly wasn't a bad thing. Car drove fine, all things considered pretty happy.

Over the next 10 months and 6k miles I was having to put the clutch through the floor to get it into first gear and in reverse. Took the car to a local garage I had used before, fitted a new clutch. Now changing gear pretty effortless and I have about 2 inches of clearance for the biting point. Car drove like a dream. However the first time I took the car out above 40mph, maybe a week later, there is a vibration when accelerating through the gearbox and stick and slightly through the footwell. After some testing I found it to be gear and rev specific, not speed specific. Although it isn't happening at all under 30mph. I will go into a bit more detail.

Pop the car into 3rd gear and accelerate from 30-50mph, zero issues. Pop the car in 4th gear and accelerate from 40-60mph, vibration at around 45mph and 1800 revs. Slight whooshing sound from the front of the car (sound like a huge fan been switched on), then 45mph and above no problems. Pop the car in 5th gear and accelerate from 50-70mph, happening around 55-57mph, car in 6th gear accelerating from 60-70mph, happening quite badly up until you pass 70mph. If you look in the rearview mirror you can see the cars behind me blur, so the car is vibrating.

We are now 18 months into the new clutch and I am back to where I was just before I had the new clutch fitted. Foot through the floor to get it into gear, zero biting point, very stiff gears between 1-3, not too bad 4-6. Car has been looked at by the original mechanics who fitted the clutch (who are useless btw) and they didn't know what it was. The car was serviced by a regional chain garage and they couldn't find an issue. Currently using a mechanic who has had the car for a day and has been out with me on the roads for about 30 mins and they can replicate the issue, but cannot diagnose it. They have also bled the clutch and had the car on the ramp for another minor issue and haven't found anything. Garage are also reluctant to replace the clutch if the vibration issue will persist and in 12-18 months time the clutch is going to be on the floor again.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or can offer any ideas or advice as to what it might be???

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm no expert on clutches but if the biting point is close to the floor that might point to either a problem with the slave cylinder or with the clutch mechanism. Has something become displaced around the actuator?

·
Registered
2020 Niro "2" HEV
123 Posts
Is your car petrol or diesel? Does it have a dual-mass flywheel? When the clutch was replaced, were the balance marks aligned when the clutch was refitted? It sounds to me very much like the clutch is not "balanced" to the flywheel, or the dual-mass flywheel is worn and out of balance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your car petrol or diesel? Does it have a dual-mass flywheel? When the clutch was replaced, were the balance marks aligned when the clutch was refitted? It sounds to me very much like the clutch is not "balanced" to the flywheel, or the dual-mass flywheel is worn and out of balance.
It’s the 1.6 diesel. According to the current garage it doesn’t have a dual mass flywheel in it. I’m not a mechanic but my thoughts were that something hasn’t been put back together properly and isn’t quite lining up or balancing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm no expert on clutches but if the biting point is close to the floor that might point to either a problem with the slave cylinder or with the clutch mechanism. Has something become displaced around the actuator?
The slave and master cylinders were mentioned today as a possible reason as to why the clutch gradually sinks to the floor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts