Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, thank you for the add to the membership. We have a Canadian 2003 KIA Sorento 3.5 V6 Automatic with 135,000 KM. Just stopped running in traffic one day. Cranks over fine but No Start up issue. Code reader says P1631. Thinking we had fuel problems, we Installed a new fuel pump, cam and crank sensors, all fuses and relays as well wires / connectors under the main fuse panel have been checked over and tested with multi-meter numerous times. All ground wires have been cleaned and checked. PCM seems to be working fine and has been cleaned etc. Vehicle has always been well maintained and in good shape.

The vehicle will Start and run just fine when we use a “jumper wire” in the Main Relay pins of the main fuse box located in the engine compartment. Tried other good working relays in that terminal and we get NO start, cranks but no fuel or ignition to fire it up. We am perplexed on what source is preventing that one main relay not to engage to allow the engine to fire up. No additional security system, to our knowledge but it does have an immobilizer, we tried both sets of keys as well all tips to unlocking doors, key on, key off, battery disconnects to reboot computer etc. When it’s running on a jumper wire, everything works just fine. Something is telling the computer not to engage that one main relay and it’s driving me crazy. Well my husband any way, as he is the one trying to fix it. Any way to by pass the immobilizer system if so? or does any one know the proper reset sequence without a key fob? Thank you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It does sound like an immobiliser problem. It could be the sensor ring around the ignition switch. I've seen other cars crank but not fire when there's a problem with that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for those diagrams. big help...We will get right on that and see. To over come the problem for now, we wired a simple switch into the dash and wired it to the main relay insert. Turn ON before starting with the key and off after so it does not drain the battery. At least it's running...LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The puzzling part to how this all started was the Truck just quit running in traffic one day. The first thing we did was check all the fuses, relays etc...my husband fiddled with the main relay fuse and voila it started up. Then a week later it did it again. Thinking it was the fuel pump failing he went ahead and changed the fuel pump, then on to the crank and cam sensors which was a grueling job as well cleaning all the fuse holders, grounds, connections etc., etc. and the darn thing still would not fire up. By jumping the relay with a wire it came alive. Now taking apart the ignition and checking things out, it just appears to be no problems, but that said we did not have a proper wiring diagram up until now. So I will send him back under the dash to play again. He will hate it, but he will do it...LOL..No fun taking dashes apart and hanging upside down, all twisted up trying to work in those tight quarters. He's not a small man either...lol...I guess I will have to massage his back for days again once he fixes it. LOL

·
Registered
113 Posts
So it could be a problem with the fuse box itself. I don't envy him that job. Incidentally did you Google the error code because it wouldn't point you towards the fuel pump.
"
Error Code P1631 is defined as Theft Deterrent Start Enable Signal Not Correct.
This error code is a manufacturer-specific trouble code, meaning it does not apply to all vehicles makes. Rather, it applies only to specific vehicle makes, such as Chevrolet, GMC, BMW, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, Citroen/Peugeot, Daewoo, Ford, Jaguar, Mazda, Opel, Saab, Saturn, Volkswagen/Audi, Volvo, etc. Specification on the definition, troubleshooting, and repairs still vary from one make and model to another."
Still sounds like an immobiliser fault to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts