Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienced anything like this? Have a 2012 Tech 4 which is almost a completely electric run vehicle (keyless entry/start, handbrake, mirrors etc, DRL). Have now had 3 occasions when the power/electrics has gone completely - meaning totally blank, no start, no lights, no hazards, no door locks etc. Even happened after a 70 mile run after parking and attempting restart. Battery is 2.5 yrs old, and although not driven extensively (3,4 times a week), normal starting is within 3-5 seconds of pressing start button...
Have to wait, get out, use manual physical key to lock/open doors a couple of times, and then seems to restart....
Kia did their Safety Recall ESU firmware today, say battery at 70%, and nothing on computer, and said just take for a long run and battery will reset!
Just a bit concerend if power goes out whilst driving...
Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
normal starting is within 3-5 seconds of pressing start button...
Sounds a bit slow to me. Is this a diesel or petrol Ceed?

I know your battery is reasonably new, but it could have an intermittent internal connection fault, as was indeed diagnosed with mine. When tested, it could show 12v, or 7v, so although it would spin it wasn't enough to start. And if a battery completely discharges a few times, it sort of goes irreversibly down hill.

But reading your post again, perhaps there is something else going on. Am I right that it was completely dead, but after opening with the physical key, it then started ok?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds a bit slow to me. Is this a diesel or petrol Ceed?

I know your battery is reasonably new, but it could have an intermittent internal connection fault, as was indeed diagnosed with mine. When tested, it could show 12v, or 7v, so although it would spin it wasn't enough to start. And if a battery completely discharges a few times, it sort of goes irreversibly down hill.

But reading your post again, perhaps there is something else going on. Am I right that it was completely dead, but after opening with the physical key, it then started ok?
Thanks GDH... sorry, its a diesel, CRDi Sept 2012... maybe 2-4 secs on a cold start, quicker when warm... pretty sure its not a discharge situation, it may be a short i suppose. correct on final sentence

1 - 5 of 5 Posts