Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to the forum, I have a Kia Soul 2 diesel, with the bad weather lately has got me to look for any body if they had issues driving in the snow/slush.

I have no control and skid totally even on light snow/slushy roads, ABS kicks in but doesn't help. Has anybody else got this issue not sure if have a fault on the ABS

comments welcomed

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
comments welcomed
Welcome to the forum, 'Elmo215'.

1st thing to check and rule out is tyre condition and pressures. The second thing is you - how do you drive? Have you driven other vehicles in winter conditions?

You say that the ABS kicks in therefore, it is working. Road surfaces vary and some are still pretty navigable in the snow and slush conditions you mention but surfaces do vary and the worst are like skating rinks.

There are techniques for driving in severe wintry conditions but the best advice is avoid driving if at all possible.

·
Registered
604 Posts
There are lots of factors involved in this, as indalo said. For example our fiesta gets up our snowy inclined road but my gt won't. Tyre tread pattern and depth makes a big distance, as does width of wheels. The same goes for the snow itself, is it compacted or a light dusting over ice?

One thing though, I've never known abs to help on ice.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Negotiating such conditions without peril requires either a set of proper winter tyres or leaving the car at home in such conditions.

Any insurance payout may be reduced without tyres suitable for the conditions. For the tyre to legally be deemed a "winter" tyre in the EU/UK, it will most likely require >3mm remaining tread depth in addition to any manufacturers claim or labelling for winter properties.
An insurance company may nit pick about tyre age if >10 years (5 years max shelf life, +5 yrs max useful life)
To find a good winter tyre look at the annual comparison tests done each autumn, usually in Ivalo Finland, and if the best are not affordable /available, try and choose from among the best. Tyre prices are always negotiable, so ring around and haggle over price.
Why settle for a lucky dip, old stock, tyre if you can see the actual data from recent tests, to compare each property. In your case you may choose one that performs best in slush, but perhaps not so we'll @ - 25 deg.

All standard FWD cars are a bit skittish in such conditions, more weight on the front wheels helps traction, but at the cost of stopping distance.

·
Registered
390 Posts
As an example of snow and driving experience...
Rescued my daughter in her Honda Jazz CVT auto on Sunday from her workplace. Tyres are around 2.5mm (ironically enough she isresearching tyres at present to have them replaced but this snow fall beat her to the change)
Myself and wife drove down, me driving our Venga auto with all tyres at 4.5mm tread depth and in 2 (ie: will only use 1st and 2nd gear)
Despite poor conditions, no skidding or ABS with me driving with light use of throttle / brake and anticipating other drivers.
Gets to my daughters workplace, and after calming her down we set off.
Lock it in low (as its CVT), light throttle and braking and anticipation and get her back home with no drama.
She had no idea about L selection and in D it just revs as the wheels slip and the gearbox changes up thinking it needs it.
Also she hasn't got a light right foot!
My wife brought our car back and when we got home she said what does the orange light mean with ABS as it flashed up a few times. Err...that's the ABS working and doing what it was designed to do .
To be fair , I was a commercial driver for a few years so have driven all sorts of vehicles in all sorts of weather.
We had 5 inches of snow where we live and gritting was sparse so roads were "fun" although thankfully this was before overnight freezing so the snow was still "snowy"..
And before anyone says COVID breaker ....it would not have been safe to leave her stranded as she works at an industrial park and was a lone female so we were covered under the safety exemption.

Snow driving is a skill and needs a light right foot and plenty of anticipation.
In an auto lock it on low selections, in a manual balance the clutch with accelerator and pull away in 2nd gear.
Leave plenty of room and don't brake unless you have to, try to keep momentum if possible.
Tyre depth / condition is important, but modifying driving technique is crucial.

And as Indalo and Jack Daniels suggests, don't drive in snow unless you have to..!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
A left field thought....Is it possible the Traction Control has been accidentally switched off?

(Assuming there is such a switch on this model)

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
Driving i slush & snow.

Set of in high gear (2nd or 3rd) or as Stonic will do into gear 1st and just lift clutch without touching throttle, it will move) Keep your distance (at least double what you normally would) Coming up to a hill either up or down, be prepared to wait till car in front is going to clear the top/bottom. As the last thing you want is to stop going up, or try to stop going down.
Avoid using clutch unless changing gear. As that means no drive to the wheels. Very gentle braking. to much kicks in ABS which you will feel through your feet as the pedal vibrates.
Let the engine take the strain on braking That left hand pedal, is not your friend...

If only you could turn off ABS, as locked wheels on snow build a wedge in front which helps to stop you. ABS defeats this force of nature :mad:

And top tip. If you do not need to go out. DO NOT (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driving i slush & snow.

Set of in high gear (2nd or 3rd) or as Stonic will do into gear 1st and just lift clutch without touching throttle, it will move) Keep your distance (at least double what you normally would) Coming up to a hill either up or down, be prepared to wait till car in front is going to clear the top/bottom. As the last thing you want is to stop going up, or try to stop going down.
Avoid using clutch unless changing gear. As that means no drive to the wheels. Very gentle braking. to much kicks in ABS which you will feel through your feet as the pedal vibrates.
Let the engine take the strain on braking That left hand pedal, is not your friend...

If only you could turn off ABS, as locked wheels on snow build a wedge in front which helps to stop you. ABS defeats this force of nature :mad:

And top tip. If you do not need to go out. DO NOT (y)

Hello
Please can excuse me jumping on here.
I have a diesel Stonic, Ive had CrVs for a decade before. Ive been driving 30 yrs.

The Stonic is scaring me. I think Its part how i drive and part what the car does
I had noticed before that sometimes the car speeds up without my doing anything...driving slowly down my narrow street where lids can just jump out at you. Or driving along flat roads sometimes.
I wanted to go slow in the snow/ slush but this thing kicked in. Then I braked and the ABS shuddered in.
I guess its some kind anti stalling thing?
Its making me want to ride on the clutch to stop it.
Please, what can i do?
Can it be disabled?

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
Hello
I have a diesel Stonic, Ive had CrVs for a decade before. Ive been driving 30 yrs.

The Stonic is scaring me. I think Its part how i drive and part what the car does
I had noticed before that sometimes the car speeds up without my doing anything...driving slowly down my narrow street where lids can just jump out at you. Or driving along flat roads sometimes.
I wanted to go slow in the snow/ slush but this thing kicked in. Then I braked and the ABS shuddered in.
Please, what can i do?
Can it be disabled?
Is the car up to temp?
If its not warm, then FI will increase rev's to stop stalling (just the same as old fashioned choke did) If it's warm, then are you braking and it's inducing a stall?
If it does that, then as you say you need to use clutch to moderate speed.

So it is the FI doing what it needs to do & it can not be changed.

ABS will feel like shuddering through your foot (it's the system simply releasing and reapplying the brake.) If you think a Kia is bad in that respect, try a Chevvy Aveo... They are 10 times worse and really loud too boot.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
539 Posts
I'd say your the watch words are perception, caution and appropriate tyres.

Given that, if you have no choice and your car still feels 'weird' on snow, then I've found that - as many handbooks recommend - you are best turning-off the traction control. It helps if the wheels spin a little to clear the tread (especially on inappropriate summer tyres) but mostly because it stops it getting into a unholy conflict with the anti-stall feature.

·
Super Moderator
3,534 Posts
I have a rear wheel drive Stinger so it gets left at home in snow and ice and we use my wife's front wheel drive VW car if we have to go out!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Unless you have the correct tyres driving in snow is always a risk and if you have the wide tyres on a Soul it’s a bigger risk ,the last time I had to drive in snow I used the wife’s old Mazda 2 which has narrow wheels and low power and managed ok and very little traffic on the road not even buses and remember to allow that the brakes are going to be of little use.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,406 Posts
When I first started driving I was told keep the engine revs low use a higher gear, keep your foot of the brakes and light touch on the accelerator. It didn't stop me panicking when my works van started sliding, I hit the brakes and it got worse, I was finally stopped by a street sign post. The post was fine, the van was badly reshaped and I learnt a valuable lesson.

·
Registered
516 Posts
As others have said above there are a number of factors that help/hinder driving in snow/ice/slippery conditions. However, in my experience the most important factor is driving style. If you continue to drive as you do in dry conditions you will come a cropper. Same applies to driving in the wet.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Hello

Please, what can i do?
Can it be disabled?
If you let engine rpm get too low then teh anti stall will open the throttle to keep the engine running. Could this be what you experienced?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have a rear wheel drive Stinger so it gets left at home in snow and ice and we use my wife's front wheel drive VW car if we have to go out!
What, you don't want to join the queue of bmws and mercs struggling to get out of car parks and up minor gradients? 😁
I remember a few years back, I walked to the estate shops and ended up helping push about 5 rwd cars out of the little car park and onto the gritted access road.

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
What, you don't want to join the queue of bmws and mercs struggling to get out of car parks and up minor gradients? 😁
I remember a few years back, I walked to the estate shops and ended up helping push about 5 rwd cars out of the little car park and onto the gritted access road.

In a previous life my bosses used to drive Capris, allways top of the range ones & auto's. Had to go 30+ miles to get home up hills. Despite rear wheel drive they always managed it.
Might have taken some extra weight in the boot (50KG tubs of polish) or on one occasion raided the drive belts from machines and got them fixed round the rear tyres... But this was a guy who had a traction engine, so was king of the bodgers :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Might have taken some extra weight in the boot (50KG tubs of polish) or on one occasion raided the drive belts from machines and got them fixed round the rear tyres... But this was a guy who had a traction engine, so was king of the bodgers :)
Contraband officer? Not at all, they're simply there to improve traction......... 🤔

1 - 20 of 27 Posts