Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage 1.6CRDi AWD DCT Blue Flame
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I arranged and oversaw the purchase of a 2016 Kia Sportage 4 for a friend. It was done remotely as the dealer was quite a way from me.
One of the must haves was Apple CarPlay which I was told the car has.
After delivery it transpires it does not have CarPlay…. I am a little annoyed to say the least!
Simple Question…..Can the system be updated or similar so it has it?
It has just about everything else just not the one thing I actually wanted!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Can the system be updated or similar so it has it?
Welcome to the forum, 'Sonic'.

It's tricky and the actual build date of the car may be crucial to the matter. If the car was a late-registered 2015 model or a mid-2016, then it may well be equipped with Android Auto but not Apple CarPlay. However, CarPlay was added to late 2016 models by way of a software update in Spring of 2017 which was around the time that it became factory-fitted on new Optima models. If your car does not have standard Android Auto, then I believe you will be out of luck for CarPlay.

I can't swear that that is the case for the Sportage but it was for the Optima model which saw a remodelled car during 2016 and I can attest to that. With any luck, a Sportage owner will pop up and provide chapter and verse on how that was dealt with on the Sportage model.

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
Only thing I can suggest is contact Kia Customer Services with the VIN & Reg. They should be able to advise if it is a car that can be updated.

Sadly dealers take specs from what, in this case would be expected of a 2016 car. As we know back in them days. It was not uncommon for cars to be manufactured months or a year prior to being bought.
Unlike now where it is almost built to order due to supply issues.

Other option (DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL INSTALL ACP) is to update navigation software from the below Kia site.

I have asked Kia this, but have not had a reply yet.

·
Registered
Sportage 1.6CRDi AWD DCT Blue Flame
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum, 'Sonic'.

It's tricky and the actual build date of the car may be crucial to the matter. If the car was a late-registered 2015 model or a mid-2016, then it may well be equipped with Android Auto but not Apple CarPlay. However, CarPlay was added to late 2016 models by way of a software update in Spring of 2017 which was around the time that it became factory-fitted on new Optima models. If your car does not have standard Android Auto, then I believe you will be out of luck for CarPlay.

I can't swear that that is the case for the Sportage but it was for the Optima model which saw a remodelled car during 2016 and I can attest to that. With any luck, a Sportage owner will pop up and provide chapter and verse on how that was dealt with on the Sportage model.
That’s useful thanks!
now sits back and awaits to Sportage owner with all the info to answer this thread!!

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
That’s useful thanks!
now sits back and awaits to Sportage owner with all the info to answer this thread!!
TBH. A user can only guess, as @Indalo said "actual build date of the car may be IS crucial to the matter"
As I said contact KCS with VIN & reg. They will be able to check these & advise.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
The Kia Sportage 4th gen was launched in 2016 and did not have Android Auto or Apple Carplay. Both AA & AC started to appear on 2017 Sportages, although there might be some crossover in late 2016 and early 2017 Sportage's. If your 2016 has not got it, a software update will not add it. As @iooi suggests Kia Customer Services will confirm.
Our first Sportage was a 2017 KX-2 registered in the June and that did have both AA & AC as standard.

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
316 Posts
The Kia Sportage 4th gen was launched in 2016 and did not have Android Auto or Apple Carplay. Both AA & AC started to appear on 2017 Sportages, although there might be some crossover in late 2016 and early 2017 Sportage's. If your 2016 has not got it, a software update will not add it. As @iooi suggests Kia Customer Services will confirm.
Our first Sportage was a 2017 KX-2 registered in the June and that did have both AA & AC as standard.
Mine's a march 17 registered car and has Android/Carplay, as I mentioned earlier in the post I think the media control on the steering wheel is different if Android is available.
Although I may be wrong, but the main manual I got with my car shows two different media control setups, I also have a Android/Carplay manual supplied with the car from new.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
This is the audio controls on my car, I think they are the same on the 2017.
Plant Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
316 Posts
Yes, they are the same on my 17 plate.
I believe that on a car without android/carplay the speech button (top left) is actually the mute button.
Obviously, if someone on here has a 16 plate without android then they could verify.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, they are the same on my 17 plate.
I believe that on a car without android/carplay the speech button (top left) is actually the mute button.
Obviously, if someone on here has a 16 plate without android then they could verify.
I've got a Nov 2016 registered model which has both,
as Faltwen says easiest way to check if the steering wheel controls, if it's not connecting to Apple, ensure you are using a genuine Apple cable.. or try these fixes.. including phone settings. (As usual the Kia info is crystal clear...)

Font Material property Audio equipment Newspaper Automotive tire
Font Paper product Paper Document Parallel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts