Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried just about everything, asked many a people, but it still wont work

will copy and paste what i have asked before, non-vacuum model,

now for some reason the 4wd doesnt work, which was nice of the seller to tell me that, especially after saying that "everything works", ******s, so anyhow, started to try and see whats wrong with it,

right, some pic's

after just cleaning them out while on the vehicle with Swarfega's "jizer" and petrol, then trying it again, and it not working, we decided to remove from vehicle and giving it a good clean out, took us a while to see how it works, and even now seems a bit strange, so, drivers side

passenger side, which looked cleaner,

the passenger side one being cleaned in petrol for the minute.

back to the drivers side, after the initial clean up,

now soaking in some Bilt Hamber Deox-C, rust removing solution

and this is the passenger side soaking in the same stuff, even though it was a lot cleaner, i thought i may as well do the same with this one too

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
then ............

back to the drivers side, after the initial clean up,

now soaking in some Bilt Hamber Deox-C, rust removing solution

and this is the passenger side soaking in the same stuff, even though it was a lot cleaner, i thought i may as well do the same with this one too

how they came out............

the original passenger side one, the better one of the 2

and the drivers side one, that was alot rustier

and i have to say, it made the surfaces rougher, and they were hard to put together, but we did spray grease onto all of it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, just joined the forum. Got the same problem but mine are the vacuum operated ones. Looking to replace them with the Warn manual variety. UK distributor is ARBIL www.arbil4x4.co.uk. May be worth a look on their site.Best of luck.
jon

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the usual no 4wd problem with my 2002 sportage. Replaced the split vacuumhose at rear of front hubs, but problem remained.
Later, after being unable to locate a UK supplier of Warn manual locking hubs, I decided to check that there was no blockage in the vacuum line right through from the manifold to the hubs. I removed the hubs and then blewthe lines through from the T connector next to the vacuum reservoir under the bonnet. The passenger side was clear, but the drivers side line was blocked!! I guess dirt and dust had found it's way in via the perrished and split vacuumhoses.

Once I managed to clear the blockage using an air line all worked fine. Saved myself a few quid there!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem with my vacum hubs and did the same as the guys above flushing the lines out with WD40 and after a trip to a firm called Pirtec for some armoured hose my hubs are now working as they should.The hose you need to look for is 5.5mm 3/16" cotton braided flexable Hydralic hose that you see on JCB's and mobile access platforms,you need about 4 feet of it plus 4 hose clips costs about £10.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello. Great pics of the hub bits, but can'tsee how it is supposed to work!
Does anyone else have experience of the non vacuum automatic hubs fitted tothe 1996 Sportage?

They have sort of worked in 4wd this winter ... but regularly give a big clunking sound and mometarily disconnect the drive from one of the front wheels, and it's getting worse. After going back to 2wd there is a metal on metal sound for some time before the 4wd fully disconnects. It's too cold to work outside right now, but perhaps the hubs need to be dismantled and cleaned/greased, as shown in the pics? Or does something wear out to cause the clunking and disconnection? Any comments very welcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts