Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three years and some 20,000 miles of driving a Ceed (1.6 petrol auto), I have taken the plunge and bought a Niro s-c-h from Howards Kia at Weston-s-Mare. This vehicle had a mere 200 miles on it when I bought it, and it will probably be the last car I purchase. When I pick it up next week (all being well) I will keep you all informed of how things are progressing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase! A self pleasing hybrid is the easiest to use when used to conventional petrol cars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picked the car up this afternoon and drove back up the M5 and M4 home. Very pleased with the way the car performed, and even more pleased to see fuel consumption of almost 50 to the gallon! If it carries on like that my local Asda petrol station will be putting out the begging bowl!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My one big grouse is the headlamps! Mine has halogen bulbs which are "not good" at lighting up the road ahead. I have replaced the original bulbs with Osram Nighbreaker Laser bulbs which (allegedly) put 150% more light on the road. This weekend, when I am going along some unlit country lanes will be the test. Going on from this, I was surprised (to say the least) that there is only one bulb for dip and main beam. It appears that a solenoid (or motor) changes the angle of the bulb in the reflector, in a similar manner to the "dip and switch" of the 1930s, when the nearside headlamp was angled downwards by a solenoid and the offside headlamp extinguised!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I put Osram Nightbreaker Lasers in my 2020 Niro PHEV and it was definitely an improvement.

Regarding the dipped beams, it's a projector housing, not a reflector, so the dipped beam pattern is defined by a metal shutter not by the relative positions of the bulb and reflector. It's not the bulb that's moved, it's just the shutter that's moved by a solenoid or motor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply, AlunS. That will teach me to look it up and not assume! LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine has LED headlights with self-dipping. They light up the road better than any lights I have experienced before, and the self-dipping works as fast or faster than I can flick the stalk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I brimmed the petrol tank again today. 300 miles on 31.55 litres (6.94 gallons) This works out to 43.22 mpg overall. About 175 miles was around town, and 125 on dual carriageways and motorways. The car itself is reporting an average of 44.8mpg, so it's in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mileage is now at 1317, and 342 miles since I last filled up with petrol. Today, the tank took 30.7 litres, some 6.77 gallons. This calculates to 50.51 mpg. With the lockdown et al, this is almost all round-town driving, probably less than 10% at speeds over 40mph. I am very pleased, and so is the bank manager 😄

1 - 10 of 10 Posts