Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Kia Niro PHEV (2019) and mostly charge it at home (13A Socket), the electronics box in the charging lead shows "6A" in the position that the handbook indicates as the "L"ow current setting. I have used the car display to select High, Medium and Low charging options but the 6A remains illuminated whichever is chosen. The car takes between 6 & 7 hours to change from 0-100% but my understanding is that it should be able to charge at 10A in around 4 hours. Has anyone had a similar problem (and should the car be able to fully charge in around 4hours please), does the electronics box ever show anything other than "6A" please? Thanks. Dave

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I too would like to hear some user experiences of the various charging regimes.

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
Phev has a charging limit of 3.6kW
3-pin plugHome4 h
3.6kWHome / Work3 h

3.6kW will be via a dedicated wall charging point.

As to why it only shows 6A, maybe that is down to the max your wiring can safely supply without over heating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phev has a charging limit of 3.6kW
3-pin plugHome4 h

3.6kWHome / Work3 h

3.6kW will be via a dedicated wall charging point.

As to why it only shows 6A, maybe that is down to the max your wiring can safely supply without over heating.
Thanks - but how does the car know how hot my wiring is? It's the ring main so not the limiting factor - suspect there is something either in the set up - or a problem with the cable electronics.

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
Charging lead/box gets hot? Maybe. Thermal cutout etc.

Failing that I would ask the service dept or KCS on the limits.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I recently bought a Kia Niro PHEV (2019) and mostly charge it at home (13A Socket), the electronics box in the charging lead shows "6A" in the position that the handbook indicates as the "L"ow current setting. I have used the car display to select High, Medium and Low charging options but the 6A remains illuminated whichever is chosen. The car takes between 6 & 7 hours to change from 0-100% but my understanding is that it should be able to charge at 10A in around 4 hours. Has anyone had a similar problem (and should the car be able to fully charge in around 4hours please), does the electronics box ever show anything other than "6A" please? Thanks. Dave
You change the charging current on the device itself. With it plugged in but not connected to the car press and hold in the black rubber button on the back. It'll cycle between 6A, 8A and 10A.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You change the charging current on the device itself. With it plugged in but not connected to the car press and hold in the black rubber button on the back. It'll cycle between 6A, 8A and 10A.
AlunS, Many thanks - re-read some of the literature and still can't find this detail, but all ok, works as you say - not sure why the car display allows you to cycle through the Low, Mid and High charge settings - I guess this is to set something in the car electronics to limit the current (so if the car is set to "low", but the portable lead is set to 10A, it will still charge at 6A?). Thanks again. Dave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts