Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

My Wife was out alone in the car for the first time today and was positive about the trip other than an event on the short run home.

Main 2 lane road running at about 50mph. No traffic in front and approaching, but some way from, a roundabout that is very slightly offset to the left from the straight ahead direction. With some distance still to go the car suddenly braked hard quite hard and started blasting cold air out of the vents, continuing to blast the air for the last 2 miles/5 mins to home.

Now I would suspect it might be a combination of actions that could result from the Driver alertness monitoring activity but the journey and in particular that stretch of road is not really likely to invoke such a response.

As I recall the lane-keep warning and assistance were set to off in her profile. However Forward Collision warning is on. There is some potential in the road layout for that system to spot the slight curve into the roundabout with a split into 2 (very short) lanes from one lane and a bollard/island that would be in the direct line of travel on the approach.

That would be somewhat acceptable as a possible collision warning response but the blast of cold air is less understandable.

Is this something that others have experienced in similar circumstances?

Is it safe to assume that the brake lights would come on to warn vehicles behind that a sudden speed reduction is being applied?

Super Moderator
Driver alertness can be turned off. Mine is as I hate the nag,

Forward Collision warning. Check what setting it is on. Anything less that max see's it kick in quite often. Always seems to be something on the near side, where you know it is not a danger... Such as car exiting a slip lane & slowing down.

Does she have A/C on Auto? If it had got too warm, then fan will kick in to regulate temperature.

Yes brake lights do come on & if you really stamp on them, Hazards kick in as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi iooi,

I think we left Alertness on when we were customising before she left.

I forgot to mention earlier that the whole event also produced 2 beeps/bongs but that might have been for something else. Coincidence perhaps.

I think I might go and test tomorrow since it is a local road we use frequently. Indeed we were on it yesterday and I did not notice anything. However there was traffic in front, speed was a little lower and I have the other systems on as a learning experience!

Certainly did get the cold air. I doubt she would have changed the settings but one never can tell...

As for the brake lights, when using regen my night time experiment found that at level 3 and slowing from 60 ish mph, the braking effect was quite strong but the lights only seemed to illuminate at around 40 mph. Hopefully significant braking initiated by the safety systems will also activate the lights but perhaps more quickly than that.

Thanks once again for some good suggestions. I'll see what happens when I test.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The more I have thought about it the more I think it is FCW and the cold air coming on is probably coincidence.

In fact I have a slight recollection of an odd response when I drove the section last week but no significant braking. Just tugging at the steering (different driver profile settings) that I put down to some worn road markings in a short section of road that became a little cluttered and complex when a roundabout was introduced to service a large Aldi distribution centre.

I suspect the result offers considerable scope for confusing the assistance systems.

If so I have to say I could be a little concerned about the potential for rear end collisions given the way the system (reportedly) responds. Experiments required.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tugging at steering is LKA. Quite normal.
Watch other drivers and you see the number that cut corners.

Careful with the testing. I found if you try to provoke it, it tends not to work..
Before she left we set LKA off so I imagine her profile retains that setting. I leave it on, mostly out of interest to learn about its capabilities and foibles.

So, as the event was described, I'm wondering if my approaches to the road layout have been influenced by responses to LKA and traffic ahead whereas my wife had no traffic and no LKA departure warning. That might have left the FCA to cut in rather abruptly given the road layout.

The layout is a little unusual but not entirely unique for UK roads. Knowing whether specific combinations of 'driver aids' might 'help' in unexpected ways sometimes could be both interesting and useful to driver's and software developers alike. To the point where I have started to wonder whether a button for an instant 'all aids' off and on button (observing profile preferences) might be useful from time to time.

Let's face it, many people dislike the assistance features on modern cars for what they do and the noises they make. So they are turned off.

That means that we are all forced to support features that add to costs of manufacturing and maintenance along with accident repair costs, etc., etc., for no real benefit. Or at least not the widespread benefits for the safety of all road users that the developments were 'sold as' when originally developed and mandated.

As an exercise in planned obsolescence, for whatever reasons people may find such a thing acceptable, it may have economic growth stats benefits but by any other measure it starts to look like energy and materials wastage.

But I digress.

It should not be too difficult to test a few theories on the section of road mentioned. There's nothing that should be dangerous about it even though the way the roundabout was inserted is not very elegant.

I think it likely that the assistance systems will tend to misread the layout. However it might also be that a combination of settings proves to be sub-optimal. If so it would be good to be able to forecast that for future reference. I might even be able to explain it to my wife ... maybe.

Registered
"Before she left we set LKA off so I imagine her profile retains that setting"
There are many threads on here about how annoying LKA is - it defaults to 'on' every time you start the car. You have to select it off every trip.
If you use higher regen settings then the brake lights don't come on immediately. As the braking effect increases and the car decelerates more fiercely, it then activates the lights.

Registered
There is no way there will ever be a ALL AIDS OFF option.
I agree and it looks very much as if the manufacturers are conditioning us little by little towards the driverless car future where everything will be taken care of by electronic wizardry.

I am so glad that my Optima permits me to switch off those elements that I don't like without the need to perform the action every time I start the car.

Reactions: Gloomy Bear

Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
One I find strange is why the auto handbrake defaults off. Would surely be more helpful (safe) with it being on.

Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
I agree and it looks very much as if the manufacturers are conditioning us little by little towards the driverless car future where everything will be taken care of by electronic wizardry.

I am so glad that my Optima permits me to switch off those elements that I don't like without the need to perform the action every time I start the car.
It's threads like this that make me want a new car even less than i do now, what a sad state of affairs :confused:

Registered
I'm convinced driverless cars will never happen in the real world, at least not in the corner of it that I inhabit. What, for example, would a driverless car do on a road like this if it came across a car coming in the other direction?

Plant Cloud Sky Natural environment Infrastructure

And that's not as bad as some of them get around these parts. It's not uncommon to get a free underbody brush from the grass growing in the middle of some roads. And even for those roads where two cars can pass, there's no way they can do so at any speed, and you have to slow right down and keep way over to the left risking getting your nearside wheels stuck in a ditch.

Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
I'm convinced driverless cars will never happen in the real world, at least not in the corner of it that I inhabit. What, for example, would a driverless car do on a road like this if it came across a car coming in the other direction?

View attachment 14225

And that's not as bad as some of them get around these parts. It's not uncommon to get a free underbody brush from the grass growing in the middle of some roads. And even for those roads where two cars can pass, there's no way they can do so at any speed, and you have to slow right down and keep way over to the left risking getting your nearside wheels stuck in a ditch.
Nevermind what will happen when it snows and the roads are white over :ROFLMAO:

Super Moderator
One I find strange is why the auto handbrake defaults off. Would surely be more helpful (safe) with it being on.
TBH, when doing tight manoeuvring it's a PIA. As well as having a habit at times of dropping off.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going right back to the originally posted observation, I have now driven the "problem" section of road a couple of times and not experienced any sharp braking issues and certainly no blast of ventilation.

Puzzled.

However I have had it confirmed that the lane keeping guidance system setting is not retained as a "Profile" default so one has to turn it off at every start in order to enjoy driving without it.

That does not bother me but my wife is less comfortable with it partly because you have to press the button for 2 seconds and partly because it is hidden by the steering wheel.

I think she is starting to regret the push or a car with "satnav", not realising that so much more would come with it to complicate the driving experience.

Registered
"you have to press the button for 2 seconds" ??

I just touch mine once just like any other button.
I agree her about with the switch position - it is hidden from sight and awkward to find when driving.

Reactions: Llanigraham

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

View attachment 14225

I share your doubts BUT, if the entire road system was eventually ONLY self driving, the potential for inter vehicle communication, further extended mapping of lesser used roads and even some Artificial Intelligence application to discover what to do in certain conditions might suddenly make more sense.

By way of support fo such a proposition, when the speed camera exposion occured in the UK people thought that is would be a good idea to provide information about fixed and temproary locations as a database to be overlayed on the new fangled "satnav" systems that were in their infancy.

If locatiojn realted speed limits could be added to the database that would be even more useful - but the best that could really be expected was to follow road classifaction guidance and use "standard" speed limit values as a first attempt.

The local authorities all had records of speed limits and wer beginning to build a databse of signes and their locations (for mainteninace purposes) but progress seemed sloe.

When random limits were applied, ever more often, in contradiction to the road type classification recommmendations, any attempts to offer limit advice help through software updates started to become rather prone to error due to data being out of date.

Wiht the growth of mobile data and internet speeds combined with OTA updates and live data streams expectations changed and somewhat rapidly the idea of mapping and mainting a database of real speed limits, perhaps even entirely independent of the local authority records (to cater for temporary changes) became a possibility.

I see no reason why the same might not come about with the rest of the road knowledge required to operate a fully autonomous system of "personal transport". So long as one can be sure to eliminate, or at least minimise, human input.

It may well require some "re-programming" of human expectations and some rapid obsolescence of old cars and even the intermediate tech that we have now. I think current strategic thinking, founded on the "climate change mitigation", is already preparing the developed world for significant changes and the planners would be happy to known that today's new cars with new technology would be obsolete and eradicated in a decade if things can be progressed quickly enough.

The change to Pay Per Mile and the requirement for tracking that will demand is likely to be enough incentive for the politicians and their masters to push ahead as fast as they can. No matter the cost and the materials and energy wastage that such an objective will inevitably produce.

Registered
You'd be lucky to get any phone signal at all where that road is, let alone any kind of data, and the default speed limit there is 80km/h (50mph). And believe me, there's plenty of much, much worse examples I could show you that I drive on every week. The speed limit on this road is 80km/h too :)

Plant Cloud Sky Road surface Natural landscape

1 - 20 of 24 Posts