Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently gave my car for a service I have noticed that the battery change indicator never gets above 70% . I have driven car normally up and down motoways for several hours and in town so I asked for this to be checked .
I have been advised by garage that "This is normal and the charge indicator will never go above 70% " I am a little shocked about this has anyone else been advised the same ? Why have a indicator scaled like this when I put in petrol petrol guage reads full so why not the electirc guage too!

·
Registered
309 Posts
You say you have a PHEV and not an HEV, so I'm a little confused. If you charge it at home, does it not go to 100%? If it doesn't then, yes, there's definitely something wrong. But if you're not charging it yourself, and expecting the battery to charge to any significant degree when driving around then frankly I'm surprised it ever gets as high as 70%. If fully charged, and driving around town in the default EV mode, the battery will gradually deplete until the car switches to HEV mode, about 15% battery in my experience.

Of course if you actually have a HEV and not a PHEV then it's different and I'm sure someone else will chime in here with some useful information.

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
I recently gave my car for a service I have noticed that the battery change indicator never gets above 70% . I have driven car normally up and down motoways for several hours and in town so I asked for this to be checked .
I have been advised by garage that "This is normal and the charge indicator will never go above 70% " I am a little shocked about this has anyone else been advised the same ? Why have a indicator scaled like this when I put in petrol petrol guage reads full so why not the electirc guage too!
So to be clear just what car do you have Plug in or Self charging. What age is the car?

PHEV only came out in 2018 so wonder why you are servicing yourself as you are losing the 7 year warranty on many problems.

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
If you want to get to 100% (or as near as you can) you need to be using regen (3 is best) and going down a steep hill. @Llanigraham will confirm this. That is the only time I see it. Rest of time it sits between 3/4 & just under 1/2.
The best range you will get from a full battery is 2 to 3 miles max.

In reality in normal driving a HEV is not designed to fill the battery to 100%, then run it down. it is designed to use battery as and when required in normal driving. So 3/4 to 1/2 is the normal range you will see.

Even when I have a full battery it will still kick in ICE rather than use EV power in certain situations.

So the garage person that said it will never go above 70% probably has not driven one in a hilly area.

·
Registered
Niro DL, 2020, UVO
132 Posts
With my first Niro I reached sometimes near 100%, because it was winter and I only drove distances below 5 km. After three days it was nearly 100%. I will see, what my actual Niro HEV will do in the winter time on short distances.

·
Registered
MY21 Niro 4 HEV, Pearl White
13 Posts
I was reading that to help save the life of the battery it should not be charged above 80% or below 20%. It could be possible that the engine management does not allow it to exceed these levels. I wonder if that is the reason why the warranty only covers batteries below 70% efficient.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was reading that to help save the life of the battery it should not be charged above 80% or below 20%. It could be possible that the engine management does not allow it to exceed these levels. I wonder if that is the reason why the warranty only covers batteries below 70% efficient.
I believe this issue is mainly relevant for pure EVs and is more to do with leaving the battery at full charge for extended periods which will rarely if ever happen in an HEV. Additionally as iooi says, if it ever does reach 100% after, say, a long down hill drive, you'll lose your regenerative braking. My wife's Yaris hybrid has an additional B gear which, if I understand it correctly, uses engine braking when descending steep hills, to stop that happening and to spare the brakes.

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
In some ways yes. But a EV battery needs to be charged to 100% every so often 1 or 2 months seems to be what most do. As there is a need for the battery system to balance out the cells.

Or as some people look at it. I will only have to the around 3 years, so it's not my worry.

Evidence suggests as well that there are plenty of Leaf's out that are coming up to 10 years old that still have good battery % form the original 100% & are around 100K miles.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wonder too about this thing of only charging to 80% seeing as all batteries have a buffer, so charging to an indicated 100% is never actually 100% anyway.

·
Registered
MY21 Niro 4 HEV, Pearl White
13 Posts
I thought they would be all the same type of batteries just different sizes in all 3 Niro's, HEV, PHEV and EV so the same recharging applies to all batteries. I may be wrong. My HEV4 is normally around the 50%, up or down one or two bar. I live in a very flat area so rarely use the regen facility but when I have used it, it goes up to around 70/80%, never above. I've only had it since May of this year and has done 3000 miles. During the summer i got 57MPG which is now dropping to 56 MPG and expect it to drop more during the winter months. Reading some of the comments on MPG which claim to get around 50MPG, I am happy with what I am getting and with the level of recharging the battery.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The garage's comments "This is normal and the charge indicator will never go above 70%" is complete nonsense, and IMO an attempt to fob you off with an excuse rather than look at the problem.

While it's true the battery charge level is below this level the majority of the time, it's still not uncommon for the charge indicator to reach the 75% mark or higher. 100% is extremely rare (I've literally done it once in 15 months of ownership) but I've got the charge level to within 2 segments of full on the gauge (ie 87.5%) on a number of occasions.

·
Registered
365 Posts
As stated above I regulary see 100% charge and no "recuperative braking available", but only when I've done long downhill runs in the mountains around here. Normally I would agree that 75 to 80% is the norm.

Perhaps I'll have to set up my "go-pro" to film it one day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The garage's comments "This is normal and the charge indicator will never go above 70%" is complete nonsense, and IMO an attempt to fob you off with an excuse rather than look at the problem.

While it's true the battery charge level is below this level the majority of the time, it's still not uncommon for the charge indicator to reach the 75% mark or higher. 100% is extremely rare (I've literally done it once in 15 months of ownership) but I've got the charge level to within 2 segments of full on the gauge (ie 87.5%) on a number of occasions.
I agree but as this is a Kia garage advice where can one go ? The kia dealership represent Kia UK and if they are giving bad and misleading advise, what can a avarage consumer do apart from not buying another Kia

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
I agree but as this is a Kia garage advice where can one go ? The kia dealership represent Kia UK and if they are giving bad and misleading advise, what can a avarage consumer do apart from not buying another Kia
The problem is that only one Garage is actually Kia's (Bolton) the rest are franchises. So the advice you get is as good as the staff they have. If it was a sales person that gave that advice then that could be their experience in driving one that was a demonstrator & never did many miles.
Remember staff are there to sell cars, and are not experts on every feature of every car.
Example on this I did not know that there was a accessory function (stop/start button) on my stonic as I was never shown it. Till daughter got her Picanto & she got a detailed tour of the features of her car...

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
My advice was from I guess a franchise and from staff in Service department .. GWR Kia in Brentford west London.
Yep Only Bolton is actually owned by Kia. Rest are all franchises.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.